Author Topic: The Four B's  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
The Four B's
« on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Got out for a little fish yesterday.
The plan was to leave at 8AM and sled about 25kms to a laker lake just outside of town.
The morning temps were, well brisk is a good word.
-35 with -44 windchills!!!!! 
To make things worse I had a loose connection to the defogger in my snowmobile helmet and blew a fuse so had no defogging and had to ride with my visor open the whole trip.
It was not a whole lot of fun to say the least.
I had to stop numerous times to de-ice my eye lashes as they kept freezing my eyes shut.     :woot:

We finally made it to our chosen destination and Bob found out the powerhead for his Jiffy auger made a break for freedom somewhere along the trail. 
While he went motor hunting the rest of us cleared snow and drilled holes with my auger.
Just in time to get a line down Bob returns from his hunting trip...............SUC CESSFUL!!!   :clap:

The fishing was awesome, the catching not so much.
We did have a bunch of fish on (some right to the hole) but only managed two on the ice.
Bob got a good eater laker about 4 pounds and I got a delicious burbot about the same size. 

The fish were being really finicky all day.
I had 3 fish at one point following from 60' to 10' and back to 60' for minutes at a time but I just couldn't coax them to eat. 

I ended up 1 for 3 with 3 dozen follows for the day.   ::)

Had some sled issues on the way home as well when I broke a carbide runner on my left ski and punched a hole through the ski. 
Off to the Yamaha dealer tomorrow for a new ski and carbides. Wallet's probably gonna be two or three hundred bucks lighter.   :pinch:

All in all t'was a good day with a bunch of new friends and tonight the pièce de résistance was the Beer Battered Burbot and Beef!!!    :thumbsup:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: The Four B's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:28 AM »
Always enjoy reading your posts  :thumbsup: Even at this time of day, your pictures make me hungry! Temperatures like you people have to deal with certainly makes every outing a true adventure!

WS

Offline dcutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:28 PM »
My helmet worked perfectly! And with my 60 or so km round trip motor hunting, I'm glad it did.

Bruno ended up with three frost burns on his face / neck though!
Si vi pacem, para bellum

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:49 AM »
Drifter/ Dcutter my hats tipped to you gentlemen true diehards. I'm not able to do the temperature conversion in my head but know those lows are dangerous. Also learned something never knew snowmobile helmets had defogger systems. Stay safe and keep teasing all of us down in the U.S.A. whose seasons are over or ending.
Steve

Offline dcutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2013, 09:39 AM »
I just bought my helmet with heated visor Mr.Clean and it is the answer. I've been using a regular helmet for years, and after last weekend, I won't be swapping mine out anytime soon!

-35C = -31F
-44C = -47F
Si vi pacem, para bellum

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2013, 04:42 AM »
Dcutter thank you for the temperature conversion ,once again I must  :bow: to you and Drifter. The coldest I have fished in is -15f with out the wind chill . Being an eyeglass wearer know all about the fogging and ice build up problems.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.