Author Topic: Rig Set Up Questions: UL & M/H rods  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Rig Set Up Questions: UL & M/H rods
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Hi All,
Trying to balance the jigging rods and looking for opinions from the community here.

First up, an ultra-light set up:
Ugly Stick 26" rated 2-6 lb test, reel is a Tica 800 loaded with 4lb mono - I forget exactly what it is but it's probably Trilene XT.  This is intended for the lightest fare - panfish & some stocked trouts if the want to play.
I may add a swivel to know where the leader stops but for now it's all direct connections. 

Next up, a Medium/Heavy stick intended for larger - lakers, large mouth, pike, etc.:
Ugly Stick  30" rated 6-10 lb test, reel is currently a Shimano Sienna 2500FD - Reel specs can be found here:
http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shimano-sienna-sn2500fd-spinning-reel.html

It's got a 7 lb max drag so it will either be snapped off at the swivel or an epic lading.

I plan to use 10lb Power Pro and add a swivel, then a leader of some sort.  Is this a good choice for what ever biggun I might target here in New England?

I considered a Shimano AX1000FB but that only has 4.5lb max drag and a single ball bearing - it was a $2 upgrade I thought prudent.

Comment as you see fit and thanks.

Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rig Set Up Questions: UL & M/H rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:43 AM »
I am missing something here.. like why your balenceing out the rods like what is meant by balance?? Are you talking more or less rods??  If it was me I would find a good medium heavy rod and put a good quality spring boober on it.. like a schooly bobber customized the way I do it.. I run every thing from 2 pound crappie and gills  to 8-10 pound line for bigger fish on the same rod.. it's all in the drag setting.. reason I use the same rod on several species is the ultra lites glass rods don't have back bone in the rod to catch the fish sleeping on the bite.. mainly for fishing deeper water.. like 12 to 20 fow.. but thats  what I do  and how are fish are.. bigger fish are found on the secondary drops of the lake.. like bigger gills /perch.. but that why I fish deeper water not shallow water .. like 3 to 12 fow..

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:36 PM »
I'm not familiar with Ugly Stick ice rods, but did look at them on Fish USA's website. It appears that the 26" is rated as "light" action. So depending on how limber the tip is, you may want to put a spring bobber on it. As far as your line, Trilene XT seems a bit stiff for ice fishing. Now if it's XL, then you should be fine. I personally use a 3# ice fishing line on my pan fish ice rods. I don't fish for anything that requires a MH rod, so won't be of much help there.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  By "balance" I mean not using 20# test on an ultra light rod/reel combo - kinda the way fly rods are listed by line weight.

C-W: I get what you're saying

And yes, the 26" is listed as light, my eyes need help...

Cheers
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Here is how I run my spring bobbers seen in photo.. I attach with electrical tape cause heating heat sink may cause the rod blank to fail prematurely.. ya some one in the thread had a question on spring bobbers I go out threw the spring bobber with line like it was the tip top and jig right off the spring bobber.. these are schoolly ultra sensitive spring bobbers.. and the kind I suggest..

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:05 AM »
For warm water rods I use:
UL with 2-3lb test for panfish,
ML with 4lb for bass/pickerel/bigger panfish jigs/small jigging raps.

For lake trout/burbot I've made a few rods. Keep in mind fishing braid outside of a heated shack is more trouble then its worth if the temp is below freezing. I run:
Medium 6lb mono
Medium 10lb braid (shack rod)
MH 8lb mono
MH baitcaster with 12lb flouro for burbot and big laker jigs

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Thanks All for the input.

I went with 4lb Stren Original on the light rods.

On the M/H rod - I considered a backing of 10lb Power Pro @ 150 yds, then top off with 8lb or 6lb mono (the reel has room).  Then I did the math and decided on straight 8lb Trilene XT.  I've used the XT on other rods without a problem.

Given the weather here in New England it's all just theoretical until I can get out and use it.

Cheers

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Here's a good ice line to consider try bumping down to 3# test for better results

http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/product-p/assoinvrr.htm
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Hi All,
Trying to balance the jigging rods and looking for opinions from the community here.

First up, an ultra-light set up:
Ugly Stick 26" rated 2-6 lb test, reel is a Tica 800 loaded with 4lb mono - I forget exactly what it is but it's probably Trilene XT.  This is intended for the lightest fare - panfish & some stocked trouts if the want to play.
I may add a swivel to know where the leader stops but for now it's all direct connections. 

Next up, a Medium/Heavy stick intended for larger - lakers, large mouth, pike, etc.:
Ugly Stick  30" rated 6-10 lb test, reel is currently a Shimano Sienna 2500FD - Reel specs can be found here:
http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shimano-sienna-sn2500fd-spinning-reel.html

It's got a 7 lb max drag so it will either be snapped off at the swivel or an epic lading.

I plan to use 10lb Power Pro and add a swivel, then a leader of some sort.  Is this a good choice for what ever biggun I might target here in New England?

I considered a Shimano AX1000FB but that only has 4.5lb max drag and a single ball bearing - it was a $2 upgrade I thought prudent.

Comment as you see fit and thanks.

It's almost like how I started ice fishing - minus the drink can, line, bobber - peg dowel, line, bobber upgrade - finally spinning ice rod.

I did have the Ugly Stick Elite 25" light and 27" medium to start with.  Back then I used Shakespeare Sigma 30 sized spinning reels.  Originally used Trilene XL and went through the hole spring slinky ordeal before settling on 6# Trilene Microice line.  What I learned is that my thought process was wrong.  Yes the rod to target the fish species was my thinking process.  However that's really just half of the set up.

Back then I used slip bobbers or toothpick pegged bobbers.  I could've use just any rod and reel.  After getting my first flasher, I had to rethink and redo everything.  A lot of trial and more trials.  I did add an Ugly Stick Elite 26" UL the year it came out.  As I got better spinning reels, I found out that I could use lighter lines without them breaking.  I use to worry about having 4# test line. 

...to present day now.  It's really about the lure, rig, set up.  It's about the actual lure and weight of the lure, as well as the intention of jigging or dead sticking.   For big fish, I did had originally used larger spinning reels.  It works, however wasn't as efficient as I expected.  Now I wouldn't hesitate to put a baitcasting reel on the Ugly Stick MH rod.  Since I started with one made of graphite for like about $25 retail at the time.  Some spinning rods, can be inverted and works well for baitcasting reels.  The learning curve and all was all worth it.

Recommendation to stay away from braids for ice fishing, if you're not familiar with the freeze up aspects.  Keep in mind, it's all about preferences and we all will change our minds or go back and forth.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.