The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: new pop up  (Read 1396 times)

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
new pop up
« on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Looking for some input on pop ups. I have it narrowed down to 2, eskimo fatfish 949 & clam xl 2000. They are both very similar, but both have things i like & dislike. If anyone has some input sure would like to here it. Thanks in advance.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: new pop up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017, 03:26 PM »
keithm87 owns a fatfish fish with him a lot and its great does the job! what don't you like?
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:16 PM »
I have the 949 and bought it the first year they came out. It has held up well over the years. My next step is to get the insulated version 949i. the fabric seems a little heavier with the quilting and i'm thinking it will be a little stiffer. I've used the 949 in some heavy wind and it did well when all tie in points are securely anchored.

I bought the Eskimo shelter because it had the largest windows and floor space at the time i purchased it.

The red color is very visible which came in handy one time on Magog when were we out fishing with tip ups in white out conditions. Only thing we could see was the tent when trying to get our bearings when retrieving our traps.

If you have to carry it, get the 949 for lighter weight. if you have a sled, get the 949i, i think it will last longer.

If you read this tonight, Dicks has them for 25% off with free shipping. You don't see that offer too often.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:21 AM »
keithm87 owns a fatfish fish with him a lot and its great does the job! what don't you like?
i read alot of reviews & a couple remarked about the black peeling & cracking on the inside. Other than that i like the size & easy set up & take down

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 05:36 AM »
i read alot of reviews & a couple remarked about the black peeling & cracking on the inside. Other than that i like the size & easy set up & take down

They all crack & peel that black coating, it's normal wear & tear.
Can spray on stuff to fill in, but not really worth it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 05:58 AM »
They all crack & peel that black coating, it's normal wear & tear.
Can spray on stuff to fill in, but not really worth it.

Sounds cheap to me. I’ve had my Shappell WideHouse 5500 ($180 out the door) for going on 6-7 seasons and the entire thing is still like brand new. No cracks. No flakes. No tears. Period. Even the windows and Velcro are still perfect.

If you’re shanty is cracking, tearing, and flaking.....you need a better shanty. There’s no excuse for that other than cheap manufacturing. Don’t accept it as “they all do that” because they don’t. If that “feature” is exclusive to Eskimo’s, I’d skip Eskimo’s all together and get something that doesn’t physically degrade all on its own.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I currently have a Clam flipover, and it's been in use a long time, I've also owned others and have used them over very long periods of time, so yes, they all do crack & peel that black coating on the inside over time and yes they all do find a way of rain infiltrating the denier over time, not matter what weight, the seams all are stitched, doesn't matter which manufacturer either.
Easiest way to solve the rain is to spray on camp or other to minimize the water entry on seams, and I've tried spraying the black coating but it eventually cracks too and it's just a darkening coat to help lower light inside anyway, not critical to the fabric construction...

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Well, i settled on the eskimo 949. Came the other day & I gotta say it is very roomy. I will fill out the warrenty info & if there is any issues hopefully they will honer there product. All I need now is some ice :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2017, 04:26 AM »
I have a clam flip over that I have had for 4 or 5 years.
It has held up really well. Don't overlook frabil portables either. I have 10 year old recon that has held up well.
I picked up a frabil HQ series couple years ago on sale that's been a great deal.
Sets up quick and is light.
I would recommend an insulated one.
None of mine are, but I wish they were.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.