Author Topic: Ice fishing gloves  (Read 1141 times)

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing gloves
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Normally I  wear wool gloves while ice fishing, but being a cluts I always seem to hook them if I don't take them off  while fishing, so what do you guys recommend for a glove that you don't have to take off  while fishing?

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing gloves
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:36 PM »
I am a big fan of the glommit. You can have the Mitten flipped over for when it's cold, and fingerless gloves for when you need the dexterity.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:45 PM »
I wear fingerless wool gloves. Good luck finding gloves that hooks won’t stick in. And if you do, I’d question the quality of the hook. Fingerless wool is the closest I’ve come to not having to take off my gloves and it works out pretty well for me.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:29 PM »
What about a set of those fish handling/cleaning gloves...cut proof and poke proof.   ;D

Special police/narcotics handling gloves that are needle proof.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:32 PM »
The gloves have to come off from time to time.  The trick is to find a glove that will get back on your hand even if it is a little bit wet.  You know how they can get all twisted and not accept your hand or fingers anymore.  I have had excellent luck with Frabill gloves because they are hassle free and slip back on even when wet and are warm.   You should get a shanty though and then not so much of an issue.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Which Frabill are working for you?

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Fingerless wool gloves inside of a good pair of insulated mittens. Warm and easy to get off if necessary.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:54 AM »
If I'm on open ice and no shelter I use a hunters muff with a chemical hand warmer tucked inside. No real need for gloves IMO if you do this, and it's out of the way.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:32 AM »
I wear fingerless wool gloves. Good luck finding gloves that hooks won’t stick in. And if you do, I’d question the quality of the hook. Fingerless wool is the closest I’ve come to not having to take off my gloves and it works out pretty well for me.

x2
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I wear choppers with wool liners....also a muff.  Key is to try to keep your hands dry.....seems like 90% of what you have to do out there requires bare hands vs gloves.....back to choppers, easy on easy off....roomy, can fit a hand warmer in there, etc etc...

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I have these and I put a chemical hand warmer in each one.  My hands stay toasty warm.  Buy a little oversized so they are easy on and easy off even if your hands are a little bit wet.

https://www.idigear.com/arctic-armor-mitts.html

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I stick with either fingerless wool gloves or leather wool lined choppers. Choppers are easy on/off and if I'm tending a tipup or rod I can throw down on the ice and have something to kneel on.
I also use a golf towel hooked to my belt to wipe hands after getting wet and before putting back into whatever I happen to be wearing...
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I use the rubberized chopper style mits with either wool fingerless gloves, thin mechanics gloves or nothing.  I have had the mits for about 8 years. I bought new liners for them last year and they are like new again.

You can open an iced over hole with the rubberized mits and they stay completely dry.  There is a lot of air space around your hands in the mits so even though they are water proof your hands do not sweat in them, they will actually dryout.

As others have mentioned they shake off with a flick of the wrist when you need to fight a fish or have to use your fingers for something.     

When I am setting up I wear the mechanics gloves in them as they provide some warmth and water protection.  I use the thin mechanics gloves so I can still tie on hooks with out having to take the glove off.  I have several pair with me that I change out once they get wet.  You want to try out different ones to get the right match.  If the rubber is too thick you will not be able to tie on a hook and if the rubber has too much traction the lining of the mits will stay on your hand when you flick them off.

I have tried all kinds of different types of gloves and combinations before I settled on this setup, most of which cost a lot more and didn't work half as well.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:07 PM »
I've used same fingerless wool gloves for over 10 yrs.

The ends are all snarled and ugly from catching hooks and yanking them out. I just use them when I setup or pack up. They work well.

I use glommits for everything else.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.