Author Topic: Ice Rods and Airlines  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Rally1148

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Rods and Airlines
« on: Mar 11, 2024, 06:39 PM »
Hey all,

I will be flying to Manitoba to do some ice fishing and I wanted to take a few rods with me. I have the Scheels 2.0 case and was wondering if anyone had taken that through airlines (via checked luggage). My thoughts were that it should be sturdy enough, as it may flex, but will pretty much prevent any flexing past the rods normal.

Anyone have other ideas on taking a few rods?

Thanks in advanced.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Rods and Airlines
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2024, 11:15 AM »
Just a thought, but what about a short rod tube, and take it on the plane? is there a length limit?

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2024, 12:36 PM »
Mail them to your destination?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2024, 09:56 PM »
I would just get a small gun case or hard case and check them with lures and such. A lot easier that way then going through the metal detectors and such and getting things all checked, just put a lick on it and check it would be my suggestion. Plus a hard case will protect them especially how much most rods costs cheap insurance.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2024, 09:56 PM »
I would get a short rod tube or make one out of 3” or 4” diameter pvc.  Take the reels off, pack them in checked luggage and carry the rods on.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2024, 09:59 PM »
Another idea is one of those Fish USA cardboard rod tubes.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2024, 11:55 AM »
Another idea is one of those Fish USA cardboard rod tubes.

^^

Probably the cheapest and safest option mentioned here.  You can bring them on the plane with you and store in the luggage bin above your seat.  Tube can be cut down if you want to have exact length.  If you can't find them in FISHUSA, you should be able to search some place that has drawing/print tubes - these usually come with a plastic cover for the ends. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=carboard+drawing+print+tube&sca_esv=941af24518045317&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS946US946&sxsrf=ACQVn0_AsO0K7SAGF60Zu_MzZ8wHoukujQ%3A1710435342708&ei=DizzZZPhKvbg0PEP3vi12A8&ved=0ahUKEwiToI2YnPSEAxV2MDQIHV58DfsQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=carboard+drawing+print+tube&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiG2NhcmJvYXJkIGRyYXdpbmcgcHJpbnQgdHViZTIIEAAYiQUYogQyCBAAGIAEGKIEMggQABiABBiiBDIIEAAYgAQYogQyCBAAGIAEGKIESOJMUABYojhwAXgBkAEAmAGgAaAB6wyqAQQwLjEyuAEDyAEA-AEBmAIKoALGCcICChAhGAoYoAEYwwSYAwCSBwMxLjmgB9Yu&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2024, 06:54 AM »
A guy at work told me there is special pricing for flying golf clubs, like 35bucks. I forget which airline he said he flies, but you could get a hard shell club bag and modify it for rods and gear. Might be cheaper and more secure. Could also use it for open water rods/gear.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2024, 10:55 AM »
USE the tube!

Man I would think most of you owned custom made rods?
I only sell mine for bout $100 ish ;D
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.