Author Topic: Making ice jigs  (Read 3800 times)

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
Making ice jigs
« on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Hey everyone i ordered all my stuff to start making my own jigs. I bought ice blades, hooks, and solder. I am running into problems with the soldering portion. If anyone could upload any pictures of how they do it, or give any advice. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Bmaher

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Making ice jigs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Hey everyone i ordered all my stuff to start making my own jigs. I bought ice blades, hooks, and solder. I am running into problems with the soldering portion. If anyone could upload any pictures of how they do it, or give any advice. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Bmaher
Hey bmaher, I'm sure everyone has there own way to do it, but this works for me. I use a 50/50 solder, straight tin is a pain! put a little flux on the blade and the shank of the hook, heat the blade and put a spot of solder on it and have your hook ready, warm the shank and place in solder puddle or reheat the blade till the solder puddles again then place the hook and hold a couple of seconds till the solder cools again. make sure to clean the jig in thinner and give a quick brushing to get the flux off or your paint won't stick. good luck and good fishing.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2009, 08:27 AM »
That sounds like fun. I've made my own crankbaits and spinnerbaits before, so I think I'll take a whack at ice jigs. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:43 PM »
i put some flux on my blades take some himostats and clamp your hook on blade up by the tip of the blade its a bummer but can be done snip a small piece of solder and place it on the blade and apply heat solder melts following where the flux is so make sure to get the whole blade. You get a little black on back of blade but it washes right off and if i may id suggest painting them with some vinyl paint. this is just what i have found that works the best and stays on the longest good luck its a riot making your own and you really can get into it i hope if your married your wifes understanding and supportive lol lemme know how it works out for you and maybe post some pics of finished jigs. who knows you may have some i dont and we can wheel n deal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.