The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ICE FLIES  (Read 3018 times)

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
ICE FLIES
« on: Dec 27, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Does anyone know were i could find some ice flies? I have tried sportmans warehouse but they had never heard of them. I went to cobelas.com and i couldn't find them thier either. Any ideas?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: ICE FLIES
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2006, 01:26 PM »
FWF,
       Ice fishing flies are not necessarily flies like you use in open water like in fly fishing, But I guess they could be. I believe they can be anything small like tiny lead jigs, anything very small that can be use as an attractor.

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Thanks i was thinking that it was a term for something that was used very often but i just wanted to check. Thanks

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Here's a few to check out. Custom Jigs @ Spins makes the Purest. HT makes Tom Gruenwalds, signature series, a kit of nine fly's. Ceck these out, then tie up your own. 8)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:12 PM »
Ice flies  cover quite a few categories.  The older guys have referred to tiny lead jigs as flies, while others called tiny jigs with hair/hackles tied to the bodies...ex...a lead ant.  Most people when they ask about ice flies are actually referring to fishing with beaded (tungsten) sinking flies.  Other will rig dry flies on a dropper presentation.  Here are a few pics to get an idea.   You can buy the dry and weighted flies at any shop...bass pro...cabelas....gande r....etc.  Some of the ants on the left are from Northland. Good luck, hope its colder there than it is here!!!!!!!!!!!

Lead ants

beadhead flies

dry flies

MASON

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:25 PM »
WOW! Now that's a box-o-flies.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:34 PM »
being an avid fly fisherman i wouldn't think that they would work under the ice but i stand corrected. i will have to take my fly box next time i go ice fishing and try it out.

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:45 PM »
There are so many ways to fish your open water flies through the ice.  Take a spoon and create your own dropper rig with a beaded fly, length 2 or 3 inch below the spoon.  Another good one is referred to as a  to a michigan rig around here which is a weighted jig (or sinking fly) and about a foot above that tie on a dry fly on about a two inch lead off your main line.  You can also rig the fly on a drop shot rig by using the polamor knot.
MASON

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:47 PM »
There are so many ways to fish your open water flies through the ice.  Take a spoon and create your own dropper rig with a beaded fly, length 2 or 3 inch below the spoon.  Another good one is referred to as a  to a michigan rig around here which is a weighted jig (or sinking fly) and about a foot above that tie on a dry fly on about a two inch lead off your main line.  You can also rig the fly on a drop shot rig by using the polamor knot.

is that for trout?

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Will work for trout, specially the spoon rig.  But you can catch perch and crappie with it.  On the Michigan rig, gills and crappie
MASON

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2006, 10:29 AM »
 :)hey FISHINWITHFLYS  try Jammin Jigs,  Northland Tackle, Custom Jigs & Spins,
HT TECH Fishing Lures, or Thorne Bros.   they all have ice flies and jigs.  these are some good websites to check out.   let me know if you need some more.   trfishin
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Nice box-o-flies. I find that the Myskis shrimps work well ion Michigan, but I do color the tops with indelible brown marking pens. A kinda mottled pattern. The bead heads and eye's are good looking as well. You do a great job tying. I began using Steelhead flies for panfish about two years ago. I'm sold!
The chironomids and blood worms work great in deep water on Perch. In Michigan tying flies is about all we can do while waiting for ice. I heard the Steelies are stacking in the Muskegon, may have to head out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.