The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Res. and tip-up question???  (Read 2575 times)

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
Boysen Res. and tip-up question???
« on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:37 AM »
hey I have never ice fished a Boysen Res. but I'm wanting to take my dad and go over and try it out sometime this year.   I was wondering where are  some good places to catch some perch and walleyes.   Do you have any preference in tip-ups.  I see that they sell the stationary tip-ups and some windlass tip-ups that are supposed to jig up and down in the wind.  what's the best.     Also is it and good for jigging for perch and walleyes during the day or better at night.  Can anyone give me some directions and a phone number where I can get some live minnows to use when I get over there.   any information would be greatly appreciated.  thanks trfishin
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Boysen Res. and tip-up question???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Hey...go to an old page 3 post on our WY site, "Ocean Lake plenty ice and fish" and the #'s for bait are there. Little always has the best minnows @ $4 a dozen plus an extra or two Boysen...perchin mostly during daytime, try South and north Muddy in 4o ft plus water. wallys are mostly early am late evening but they'll sometimes whack you at noon. good luck.  Tipups, most guys on Boysen run five tip-ups and fish with a jig-pole for the 6th line. Style...hmmmm...I prefer the Frabill standard, although if I had it to do over again, I'd buy their iceless which is twice the price but on those cold days, they keep you from having to repeatedly clean the holes. I wouldn't switch horses at this point though...too much $ invested in the standards. never used the wind style. :tipup:

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2006, 02:22 PM »
Merry Christmas and God Bless you all!

Listen to Ex-LT--he knows what he is talking about, as he is a beacon of intelligence on this, or any, forum!! ??? ::) :P 

My father in law has one of those "Wind-lass" tip-ups that is supposed to jig itself with the wind--what a bunch of hooey!  All it does it tip over, not up, in the wind!

I have both the traditional and the hole cover style tip-ups.  I prefer the hole cover ones.  We have the HT brand and really like them.  THey are much cheaper than the similar Frabills.  Here's the main difference--the Frabills fit perfectly in your 5 gal. bucket, and the HT's do not (they are a little bigger).  If that is important to you, spend the extra few bucks and get the Frabills.  The HT's have a telescopic flag that extends quite high, which is nice when you have them spread out at a distance--makes them very easy to see.  I bought a tip-up bag from HT and I get about 4 of them in the bag, and the bag was only about 10 bucks or something like that.

Here is something else I would consider--they are making a tip-up style tig now that you put a jig pole into.  It holds your rod tip up, and when a fish bites it pulls your rod tip down and a flag flys up to indicate your strike.  I enjoy catching bigger fish on the little jig poles, so sooner or later I am going to try one of those.  Maybe if I am lucky Santa will bring me one today.  Or maybe the Ex-LT will give me one when I come up to fish with him!!! ;D :D ;D ;) ;)

Whatever you decide, have yerself a hootinanny of a time doing it!  Nothing more fun than ice fishing!  (well, maybe one thing... :o)

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Oh, and trfishin, make SURE that you put your name and address on your tip-ups!  It's a fine if you dont!!  (see WY regulations to make sure of the law).  When we first started coming up to WY we didn't have our names on, and found out while we were there, fortunately by a fellow icer and not the Warden!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2006, 05:01 PM »
RaaaaJ, there you are buddy, where were you when I was stretchin' the lips on the wallys and perch the other night??????    :roflmao:    Hey, Merry and a Christmas to you and the family. See ya soon? el-Teeee "Beacon of whaaaaat!" He better listen to you, I don't even know what one of those things is.
                                           el-Teeeeee  :tipup:

Offline chip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chip
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Hello There,
 I always fished Cottonwood bay for perch and did good . I would use a single hook and some split shots about foot and a half up. Fish in about forty feet of water.  Use minnows that you can get at Shoshone.  Use the polar tip ups and bring your line down till it touches the bottom and back up two feet that will put your bait six inches off the mud.  When you run into a school have fun. You can have six lines so sometimes I bring up a couple about fifteen feet for the big trout that run though.  Love fishing Boysen.   :tipup:

Offline ice_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2006, 07:20 PM »
I have polars. On boysen I use a 1/8 or 1/4 oz egg sinker above the swivel, 1.5-2'  12# flourocarbon leader and size 12 mustad treble hook. I have caught tons of perch, plus walleye, ling, and trout on the setup..... :tipup:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2006, 02:33 PM »
There are no good places on Boysen to catch a Fish.  It's fished out, and the G&F said that they were not going to restock it until the drought is over.  Shame too, cause it used to be a good place to catch a fish or two.  Oh, I suppose if you want to catch a limit of 4lb rainbows you could go over there.  Ice is bad and the wind makes the place absolutely miserable. But  "Like I said" you may be able to dredge up a few.  Oh, and I have heard of some people catching a limit of perch, or occasionally some crappies. But that only happens when the fish are biting. Once in a while, an "old timer" may catch a walleye or two. I have also seen several real nice stringers of catfish caught out of there. They caught some slobs last year in January. Oh did I tell you that the world record Ice caught Walleye was caught out of Boysen. 17.42 lbs She is mounted and is located up at the State Park headquarters.  Ling, oh yes ling.  Did I mention ling??? Holy cow did I catch some nice ling out of there. Course that was last year.  Gonna have to fish over in the Green River drainage this year though. Sounds to me like all the ling went over there to spend the winter.  Yeppers, looks like Boysen will be a waste of time this year.  OH Well,  good luck to ya, and don't catch them all.

laters

The Cator.

:tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2006, 03:43 PM »
4cator: you said

"Like I said"  

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

that's funny!!!!!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2006, 03:49 PM »
OH, you caught that did you!!! 
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2006, 05:07 PM »
 :)hey thanks guys for all the information and helpful hints.  I sure appreciate it more than you know.  If anyone has been to boysen could you please post how the ice conditions are and how thick the ice is now.    IF I can help you guys out just let me know.  thanks again
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Hee-hee...sometimes I felt that way about Boysen, but for me the Q is why should I drive all the way there when I can catch my wallys, perch and ling at Ocean where there's so much less fishing pressure and btw 4cator...you're frightening the children    :roflmao:  ...I know, 4X4elk-man outfished ya over at Boysen and you're trying to scare everyone away so you'll have it all to yourself. hee-hee. Hey, what's all this crap about posts being removed? I ran one last night and it either didn't take or somebody took it off.  :woot: Well, I'm gonna run it again and see.  The ex-Lteeeee  :tipup:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2006, 01:21 PM »
I have had a dozen posts removed over the last week. I  haven't even used a bad word, not one  :'(   I guess the internet police just have no sense of humor, or maybe no sense.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Hmmm...I wouldn't think they were supposed to be doing that...any way you can find out who did?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.