Author Topic: What's best chum to use for Perch?  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Swedish Pimpin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Swedish Pimplin' Ain't Easy
What's best chum to use for Perch?
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I'm heading to a Bay in a few days that has perch and a few white fish.  My friend and I are planning on setting up in a Clam 6pack shelter for the day.  I've heard of guys out here using either rice or a mix of pasta/spawn/corn.

I was going to setup one line with a still minnow and maybe jig a very small swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head. probably 6-8 feet water max or shallower

Does anyone have any suggestions on a chum mixture or setup?

Thanks in advance!
Swedish Pimplin' Ain't Easy

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's best chum to use for Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:57 PM »
I save my old minnows, pinch or cut them into little pieces and freeze them into a ball. Drop the ball down and as it melts, it releases scent and will bring various fish in.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:33 PM »
use whatever you have...fish guts, dead bait, oatmeal, rice, egg shells...etc...we just trickle a bit down every few minutes...depends on how deep the water is...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I save my old minnows, pinch or cut them into little pieces and freeze them into a ball. Drop the ball down and as it melts, it releases scent and will bring various fish in.

I do something similar...Going after perch I fish my live bait until my minnow dies. I then pinch off the tail and throw it on the ice and fish with just the head. When that gets bit off or doesn't produce I put on a lively new minnow.  When I get 4 or 5 tails on the ice I push them down the hole and drop my line.  I can't tell you how many times I hook one when doing that and the perch spits up tails.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:45 PM »
    Large curd cottage cheese works.

WS 

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:06 PM »
jeesh....I'd probably eat the cottage cheese before I sent it down the hole......
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:30 PM »
jeesh....I'd probably eat the cottage cheese before I sent it down the hole......
X2 as long as it is large curd, small curd has a nasty texture.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Egg shells. Dead minnows. Minnow parts. Whatever floats your boat!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:59 PM »
If I ever get back perch fishing, I'm going to drop some small pieces of cooked spaghetti noodles that I've scented with anise oil.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2013, 10:35 PM »

I have always just left the tail lay on the ice, next time i am going to try that.  Hope it works, thanks for the idea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.