Author Topic: I present.... Frabill-stein!  (Read 16871 times)

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
I present.... Frabill-stein!
« on: Aug 20, 2016, 08:41 PM »
I spent last winter and spring trying to find a Wide 1 Inferno, and have finally got my hands on one. I always had plans to mod it up, so here is my creation.
I had found an incredible deal on a Frabill Recon Shuttle last year, $32 at Canadian Tire, and really liked the storage system it offered. The sleds are not quite the same size as the Eskimo is quite a bit wider, but I was happy to find that the outside lip of the Shuttle was a perfect fit inside the tub of the Wide 1. The length is almost exactly the same.

The first step will be cutting the top of the recon to fit on the Eskimo:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I present.... Frabill-stein!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Some dremeling to take the ends off, and notch the sides to fit together:

Here you can see how they match up pretty well:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2016, 08:50 PM »
And the other end:

A better shot of how it all fits together, also shows the Eskimo tow bar and skis that I attached. I used rubber furniture feet as spacers so the skis are close to the bottom of the tub. I needed to keep it all short so that the seat would not be too high once it was all done. I also cut down the skis to the exact length of my truck box before attaching them with stainless steel screws and acorn nuts on the inside of the tub:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:13 PM »
The edges fit together just right, I will use bolts through the sides to keep the top and bottom secured, and will go over each of the seams with black gorilla tape so nothing will drop between or get caught between them, also to cover the holes used to bolt the two halves of the Shuttle together.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Next step is the battery tray. I used 1/4" plywood on the bottom and some scraps that I had around to make a door and a compartment for the battery to go into.
You can also see the T-nut at the top of the opening that I will use as a latch for a door. It will make more sense in future pics:

The battery and fuse box will go inside this compartment so stuff in the storage area wont bang around into when I am pulling the shack. Another view of the front of the compartment door:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Here is the rest of the battery tray put together. I added the eye hooks to bungee the battery in place when it's all together:

The battery in place for perspective:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:42 PM »
And a view to show how it all fits together:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:51 PM »
I got a couple meters of automotive carpet to do the inside of the tub. Also, you can see the thumb bolt I used for the door:

I left the carpet long enough on all sides to do the entire inside of the tub at the front end. I will have to glue some small pieces in to the floor where I did a rough trimming job.
Also, the Eskimo tub is a little deeper than the Frabill, and I will be using a bucket as the seat base, so you can see when I added a 2x4 across the tub so that the weight of a very fat fisherman will not cave in the top of the Shuttle. I did a test fit and placing a bucket in the Shuttle opening and shimmed it up with a piece of the 1/4" plywood so it rests right onto the board, which spans the skis and will ensure that the seat has a sturdy base:

Masked the edges and used some spray glue to make a nice clean carpeted interior:

And some eye hooks in the bottom to use as bungee tie-downs. I dont need my heater rolling all around when towing:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Closer to the finished look:

Another test fit to see how it all looks together:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Next step, electrical. I am adding lighting, USB charging for phone/tablet, bluetooth audio, and a clock. I added an AGM garden tractor battery, and fusing for each circuit. I found a miniature 12v amp and bluetooth reciever. I also got lots of LED strip lights. I have noticed others have said that the adhesive backed strips don't stick very well, so I solved that covering any strips I put in with clear gorilla tape. It sticks very well, and makes them much more water and abrasion resistant:

I also cut a pair of 4" marine speakers into the back of the Shuttle top. They will be well out of the way so I don't have to worry about bringing a separate bluetooth speaker:

Some strip lights inside the top of the Shuttle to light up the inside of the storage compartment, as well as switches for lights and stereo:

Here is the result, no hunting around in the dark for small stuff:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Additional lights inside the rod storage locker of the Shuttle, you can see the gorilla tape over the strip:

If there was one feature that I was most sold on, it was the rod storage compartment, it was what got me thinking of this whole project. Now I wont have to fumble around in the dark trying to find rods. You can also see the position of the toggle switches, they will be in perfect reach on my right when sitting in the seat. Also, just below them  you can see how I taped the seams between the two halves of the tub to seal it up and keep snow, hooks, etc from getting in between:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:26 PM »
most excellent

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:33 PM »
Now, to the seat. I really wanted to make use of the comfortable seat that Eskimo supplied, however I could not use the bars that they use in mounting, so I needed to adapt a bucket while trying to keep the height down. I am over 6'1" so I didnt want to be up so high that I would have my head against the roof. I trimmed one bucket down to the height of the lip on the Shuttle and attached it to the 2x4 based in the tub by screwing it in with a piece of galvanized metal. Removal of these 2 screws gives me access to all my wiring if I ever need to repair anything. If you look closely, you can see down the left side of the pic, a dimmer for my lights, a carbon monoxide detector, and at the bottom a USB port with a cover on it.:

After I shortened the bucket, I planned to use the top of a second bucket that would nest into it, but they fit together so tightly that I could hardly pull them back apart. I notched all around the top to allow it compress a little easier. I then put in a circle of wood to strengthen the lid and attached the Eskimo seat and swivel to it with nuts and bolts. I couldn't find a red lid, so I wrapped some red duct tape around it to make it look like it all matched. This worked so well, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in Eskimo's product line next year   ;D

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:41 PM »
Getting close!
I had enough length on the skis so I added a plywood platform to keep my feet off the ice. I used the same kind of furniture feet as between the skis and the tub, so you can see they are not all that thick. The plywood has a coat or urethane so it wont rot, and then spray glue to wrap the carpet. With the platform flipped down you can see more details of the light dimmer, switches, the CO detector and USB port as well as how short the bottom bucket is with the top 4 inches trimmed off of it. I added some metal loops under each corner to bungee the footrest up when towing. Also, on the lower left corner, beside where the bungee is attached in the second pic, I added a marine 12v socket with a cover just under the lip of the tub. This will allow me to plug it into the 12v port in my truck box, or to use a cord to plug it into a 12v port I added to my snowmobile to charge the onboard battery:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:47 PM »
LED lights on one pole, controlled by the dimmer at the top left of the Shuttle. These are also wrapped in clear gorilla tape so they should be quite durable:

Seat flipped down to access the storage hatch. The Coleman Procat heater I have will sit on this door when I am fishing:

Looking forward, another great find I made on the internet. A small dash clock made for a vehicle. A watch or a clock seems to be the one thing I am always forgetting or trying to find when I am out. this one also displays battery voltage as well as inside and outside temp. I ran the sensor down the side of the tub and taped it up under the lip with gorilla tape. Also added a plug to make it simple to take in and out, but have found that the flip folds over just fine with it mounted just like this:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:50 PM »
Another feature I added was red lights, when sitting in the dark I wanted to be able to keep my night-eyes and not blind myself by turning on the white lights if I am just looking for my beer or a dial on the flasher. Flipping on the red lights gives enough light to find stuff, and maintains your night vision:

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2016, 10:53 PM »
My Vexilar Double Vision fits right in the bucket, no more having to strap it to the snowmobile:

Now, all I need is some ice. Let me know thoughts or feedback. Thanks for looking!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2016, 01:10 AM »
Nice looking mods! I like how you rigged up the seat/buckets! I had a swivel seat mounted to just a bucket lid before but that would sometimes pop the lid/seat off when I would lean too far back.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2016, 03:09 AM »
Very nice work!  Great creativity!  That will be a really nice shack to fish in.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Holy Smokes! You did an amazing job on that. I love the lighting in the sled and along the tubes, that will be awesome. Really creative mods!

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Absolutely Out Standing - Excellent Job
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Big_Mel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2016, 02:25 PM »
That is AWESOME!!! I was looking for a lot of the same features that you put on yours!! Thanks for the ideas on how where to build them! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2016, 05:41 AM »
Wow that turned out awesome .

Offline old truck guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Very impressive, nice job!  @)

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2016, 08:02 AM »
very awsome job

Offline Big_Mel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2016, 12:41 PM »
How did you keep the wire from getting hung up when you extend the poles on the fabric for the flip over? Also where does the extra wire go when the flip over is pushed back in to be moved?
Thanks

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Very nice and well thought out. Enjoy!
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2016, 03:44 PM »
How did you keep the wire from getting hung up when you extend the poles on the fabric for the flip over? Also where does the extra wire go when the flip over is pushed back in to be moved?

The poles with wires do not extend. One of the main reasons for selecting the Wide 1 over an Otter sled was that only one pole needed to be expanded to open the shelter, and it is the one that lays on the ice. The others are already extended fully due to their alignment with the length of the tub rather than across its width. The LED lights are taped firmly to the poles and the wiring wrapped in loom which is also firmly taped down to keep it from twisting or pulling.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Sep 22, 2016, 05:08 PM »
That's a great set up.

Offline Big_Mel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 23, 2016, 08:42 AM »
The poles with wires do not extend. One of the main reasons for selecting the Wide 1 over an Otter sled was that only one pole needed to be expanded to open the shelter, and it is the one that lays on the ice. The others are already extended fully due to their alignment with the length of the tub rather than across its width. The LED lights are taped firmly to the poles and the wiring wrapped in loom which is also firmly taped down to keep it from twisting or pulling.

That makes sense. I was just trying to figure out a way to put lights on poles that extend..  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.