Author Topic: Flipover lighting  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Flipover lighting
« on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:29 AM »

How much lighting do you flipover users like to have in your shanty? I have a set of triple a battery operated
christmas lights hanging from the frame of my clam right over my head that I turn on when needed.
Then it's turned off while fishing. Last year I stayed out after it was dark, caught some fish, but couldn't
see what was going on because it was dark. All I could do was listen to the water splash as the fish
cleared the hole. Do you keep the lights on after dark while fishing? I bought some LED lights that
I was going to install but haven't because I'm not sure how much light would be needed. Give me
some ideas as to what you guys have done to your portables(pics too}, and why you like it or don't. Thanks.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Flipover lighting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:27 AM »
i use two rows of 5050 water proof leds about 3 to 4 feet long on the over head bar and the one over the ice holes and they go to an ammo box that holds a sla battery and i use a wireless remote control to turn them on/off/dimmer switch. i use velcro one wrap to hold them on. leave the paper on the strip, it helps keep them from shorting out.
i have not mounted them this year and removed them end of last season to use them else where.
right now i use a nice head light and that ammo/battery box i use for light because i added a cob light bar to the side of it and a switch so it's like a lantern and a power source and holds other things.

i bought the lights and remote and wire from amazon. ammo box from harbor freight.
 you can't have too much light, it attracts plankton. you can wear your battery down too fast tho. so either use two in the ammo box or keep them dim. the head lamp is nice all of the time tho. i bring extra batteries for that.
TH20 Cool White
https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-Neutral-White-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B01FCUTTCW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1484320598&sr=8-10&keywords=thrunite&th=1

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:19 AM »
coleman lantern heat and light.specks come to the light while fishing in the dark.i have leds in my shacks too but find myself listening to my lantern hiss while night fishing for crappies.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I have a Frabill Lite that attaches to one of the bars on my Recon. But, if I am going to be fishing until or after the sun goes down, I carry my Coleman propane lantern. It provides both light and heat.

Offline icesheet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:50 PM »
You had commented on my thread "Otter/Flip Over House Lighting Option" that shows what I have for lighting. I am very happy with it, especially the dimmer switch. No worry about breaking a lantern while cruising across the lake. The lights in the tub illuminate when I need to find something inside of it or to get a jig glowing. The overhead lights work great for packing up after dark and a flip of a switch they're off and not hot like my lantern was so I can pack up and move right away. Th overheads can be turned on immediately also if needed, like if a fish is caught. 

Offline Steellord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I have two strings of L.E.D.'s in my Kenai. 1 set above my head and the other over the front door. They are independently switched through a switch box I made and are powered by a 12 volt SLA battery.

Overhead lights.

Lights over door.

Battery tray and switchbox.
Steellord
Hardwater Fisherman
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's much more serious than that!!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:50 AM »
I bought a reel of strip lights and connectors but can't get the lights to come on when hooked to a 12 volt battery that is fully charged.  Anyone have any clue as to why?  I referred to "you tube" to make sure I was fastening the connector correctly so that isn't the problem.  I really hate messing with anything electrical but this should be a no brainer but apparently my brain isn't up to it.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:26 AM »
the ones I bought have 2 small dots on the end of the strip, there are 4 where you want to cut it. These dots need to be under the clips inside the connector touching the contacts. Mine won't work unless the +'s and -'s are the same as the battery. If yours isn't working switch the wires to the battery, and see if that works. Usually there's a + and - on the strip, and the +is usually the red wire and the - is black.

Offline tyme2par4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:31 PM »
I bought a reel of strip lights and connectors but can't get the lights to come on when hooked to a 12 volt battery that is fully charged.  Anyone have any clue as to why?  I referred to "you tube" to make sure I was fastening the connector correctly so that isn't the problem.  I really hate messing with anything electrical but this should be a no brainer but apparently my brain isn't up to it.

Did you try flipping the positive and negative? LEDs will only work one way. Also check to make sure the wires or circuitry on the strip isn't cracked.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:11 PM »
just put 5050 leds on one section of poles and a set just under my feet, man its the cats *** 9 bucks for the lights awsome!!!
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Thanks Uncle All and Ttme2 but that was the first thing I checked to make sure I had it right and have reconnected twice with new connectors, still nothing.  I'm thinking I just plain got a bad set of lights. 
Yogi Berra

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:00 AM »
some of the led's may not be bad. hook a black and red lead to a battery and check each connection on the strip, I've used a 9volt battery to do this and found some of the connections aren't good, and the rest of the led's are.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:05 AM »
some of the led's may not be bad. hook a black and red lead to a battery and check each connection on the strip, I've used a 9volt battery to do this and found some of the connections aren't good, and the rest of the led's are.

Excellent idea.  Thanks.
Yogi Berra

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:50 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion....they work.  It appears the connectors don't.  Back to old school and just soldering them.
Yogi Berra

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:37 AM »
That was my next suggest the connectors I bought didn't connect very good so I bought some different ones that have to be soldered. They work a lot better.

Offline borg0196

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:55 AM »

I use the HAWG Outdoor lights. LED, waterproof, ready to connect to battery, come with strips to attach it too. At $19.99 they really can't be beat.

You can see how bright they light up my 2 man flip.

Offline SteelFitter87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2017, 07:47 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.