Author Topic: st croix or thorne bros  (Read 4873 times)

PWR BAIT

st croix or thorne bros
« on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:12 PM »
im looking to purchase some jigging rods what do you guys think st croix or thornebros. I do alot of panfishing any info would help thanks

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: st croix or thorne bros
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:52 PM »
I actually was hooked heavily on the HT rods until I got my hands on a St. Croix. Now that's all my wife & I both use. They are very tough,sensitive, balanced well and have had no reason to look any farther for rods for panfish. These have also brought in a few pike up to 18" that was very fun also. I have never tried the Thorne bros equipment though.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:55 PM »
what model st. croix and where did you purchase?

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:56 PM »
I own both, I prefer the Thorne bros. These rods are about the same money, one is hand made in MN, the other is made ? Come to think of it, where are the St.Croix made?
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:58 PM »
I bought my 1st st croix last year before season . It was a premier module rod. I loved it but then started using spring bobbers on the end of the rods for gills and craps. Wow what a diff. it made. So this year i went out and bought 2 st croix ledgens. They have interchangeable spring ends for them. I got to use them 3 days this year so far, before the ice went back out but i just loved them. They are very expensive , but i feel well worth the money. They came out with them last year and I'm glad i waited a year because this year they changed the handles on them and I like the style a lot better over last years module. ;D After last years fishing and the few days this year, I wouldn't use any other type of pole.  ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:22 PM »
I use Thorne Bros rods alot, summer and winter. I also work closely with the guys in their shop. The St.Croix is a good rod but this year they have been experiencing some quality control problems. I have heard ALOT of their new line of rods have come without the tips being glued, the eyes are missallianged, and they have also got rid of the cork handle which I love. This needs to be taken care of before I can say I recommend them. Also the thorne bros have come out with a new rod handle option which is really cool. Called a reverse locking tennesse ICE handle. Compact and allows for reel changing without the tape goo and still keep that direct cork handle feel. Not on their website but I did get a pic emailed to me. If you want to see it, just PM me and I will try and get it sent.

Robin

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:53 PM »
what model st. croix and where did you purchase?

Not sure the eact model but I got two of them online from Cabelas. I think they were about $30.00 - $35.00 each. All I know is they are sensitive enough, I don't need any spring bobber or anything like that. I've caugh 2" perch that really bumped the rod tip hard.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I chose a St Croix legend over a Thorne Bros rod simply because of the spring bobber. I love St Croix's spring bobbers, even though TB's rods are probably better quality. My next rod will most likely be a TB because I will not require a spring bobber on it. I like the reel seat on this years legends too. I hate taping reels on.

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Come to think of it, where are the St.Croix made?

I think you will find the vast majority of rods made come from China or Taiwan unless it's a Thorne Bros or some other custom builder of rods . ;)

TD

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:41 PM »
I would go with the St.Croix legend ice rod.  Mainly because of the interchange spring bobber. 

Big W
Big W

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Not only do I prefer Thorne Bros rods, but they have always been easy & great to deal with.  I always have had a hard time over recent years trying to get good customer service from St. Croix.  I had a 7' UL Avid tip break on me 2 years ago, & by the time I got ahold of someone up there, it was going to cost me $75 plus shipping, almost the cost of a new rod to replace it!  Any problems I've had w/ Loomis (most of my regular rods) or Thorne Bros has been taken care of any problem w/ minimal effort on my part.  It's ashame, because most of my family when I grew up loved them.  Don't get me wrong, they still have a pretty good product out there, but not everything made is always double checked for flaws @ the factory no matter who made it!  For the money you can spend for them, the service should be top notch!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2006, 12:44 PM »
I fish in a hut alot when i am spring bobber fishing so i love the TB spring bobber, interchangable with all their sweetheart rods, but when used outside it is very aggrevating. The St.Croix has that larger hole that doesnt freeze as easily.

Robin

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:08 PM »
Aside from using the rods (I think they are both very good) I can say that I don't like the St Croix warranty process.  You have to send them the rod and then they fix it or send you a new one.  Great that they do that, but if you are without your rod for a couple weeks, not good.  That's why I would vote for Thorne Bros (assuming you live close to the store) if you ever have trouble, go into the store, they'll set you up with a new one and you are back in business immediately....
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:25 PM »
I have a St. Croix that I picked up at Gander Mt and love it at the season end sale :tipup:. They are made in Park Falls WI. and if you get the chance you should stop at their factory store. Great place and some super deals on seconds or blemished rods.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Just bought 2 Legend series and 1ml and 1L  the actions seem quite nice.I love the reel seats and the balance with a tiny Okuma. 2# vanish and tightend down the drag..can put ample pressure on, way more than i thought. Let ya know
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline umsmallies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:07 PM »
The other day I was looking to buy a St. Croix Premier and I probably looked at twenty different rods before I found one where the guides lined up. :( Horse dung quality if you ask me.

Thorne Bros. may cost a little more, but you better believe you will be getting a quality piece of equipment.

Just my $.02

Joe

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:47 AM »
to be honest, i've tried the st. croix, great functioning rod but very bad durability, and the throne bros, awesome rod, but i picked up a couple of genz sticks and have been VERY impressed.  i love the short handles and the sensitivity on these rods is amazing. i would highly recommend these rods to anyone, especially since they're only $20! oh, just don't buy the combos, the reels they come w/ are junk, or so i've heard

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:58 AM »
alotta these guys hit it right on the head, the thorne bros are alot better quality.  i'm fishing st. croix right now, but as soon as they break (which won't be long) i'll be switching to tb all the way!  granted the st. croixs are warrentied, but why not just buy a rod that won't break in the first place?!
you mean to tell me thornebros rods wont break what makes them so different?ive never owned one but if they dont break i will be buying a few im all up for agood dependable ice fishing rod.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:59 AM »
not saying they won't break, any rod misused or slammed in a car door are gonna snap, but they are worlds ahead of the st. croixs.  like i said though, i'd still go w/ the genz stick, even over the thorne bros

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:37 AM »
not saying they won't break, any rod misused or slammed in a car door are gonna snap, but they are worlds ahead of the st. croixs.  like i said though, i'd still go w/ the genz stick, even over the thorne bros
ive got two of the gold series i love them. i know mean about ice fishing rods getting slamed around in portible huts pulling them around with sled or 4 wheeler.it sucks when you go to fish and your favorite rod is broke. iwas just busting your chops.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:48 AM »
I dont know about the other rods on the market right now but I know the tb's are made with solid graphite. And some of the others are still made with tubular which is cheaper. Solid graphite holds up better in the extreme cold....I have been out in some wild weather. I have only broke one and that was my fault. I do try and keep all my rods in a case such as a beckman rod bag. These are 10 bucks a piece and can hold usually 3 rods up to 36 inches in length. Definitly a cheap investment considering they are protecting some expensive rods and reels. They protect the rod with a plastic tubing and even can carry 2 small tackle boxes or whatever on the side. Cabelas has similiar bags and so does Ready Rig.

Robin

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:50 PM »
I have always used St. Croix rods.  In fact I am from Park Falls WI (where they are made) and I used to work for them for a while in the summer when I went to college.  My mother worked there for many years winding guides.  After college my wife and i moved back there and she worked there for a couple years.  I never thought we were using anything special when we used theur rods because that is all we ever had.  Until later when I bought some other rods and realized how nice the St. Croixs were.  My parents still have new rods in their basement that have never been used.  My parents still live there so I had Dad stop in there this week to see if they had any 2nds on ice rods but they only had new ones.  Oh ya, about the guides lining up.  I really don't care if the guides on my ice rod are perfect.  Its not like i am casting for distance or accuracy on my ice rods.  All I really care about it the tip for seeing bites.  The last .02 is that over the years and many many rods we have used we have never broken one of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.