Author Topic: St. Croix Spring bobber suggestions  (Read 3225 times)

Offline joesp

• IceShanty Rookie
St. Croix Spring bobber suggestions
« on: Aug 27, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I am looking to add a St Croix spring bobber to my fishing rod and when I went to there website they have four different weights. I plan to use the pole for panfish mostly and to use small jigs and spoons. What is your suggestion to what size spring to get. The sizes and order number is listed below. Thank you in advance.

SFS-L   L   
SFS-M   M   
SFS-MH   MH   
SFS-H   H   

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: St. Croix Spring bobber suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Pink and orange (light and medium) will take care of most of your pan fishing  needs. I never used the yellow or green (MH and H) for anything. When you get into spoons that heavy, the springs do you no good at all. Get a light action (or was it ML??) action rod and a pink and orange spring for it. The UL action is too light for anything and the M is too heavy for panfish.

Good Luck!

I used the St. Croix system for a few years until I started building my own rods with Marmish springs. They work good!

Tip: Take the rod out of the tube and inspect it for crooked or loose guides before you buy it. These rods are built from quality components in another country, the craftsmanship can be ugly.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I use the pink and orange almost exclusively, however do do own the Yellow and Green springs also. The only application I can think of for the heavier springs is if you are using a dropper spoon or deadsticking a larger bait and want a visual strike indicator.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2010, 01:36 PM »
I use the springs almost exclusively. The heavier ones are needed for things like jigging raps, chubby darters and jigging spoons. They aren't really needed for the heavier lures but they just add another dimension to the look of the lure when jigged. (not as sharp of an up and down) I hope that makes sense ???

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2010, 08:12 PM »
they just add another dimension to the look of the lure when jigged. (not as sharp of an up and down) I hope that makes sense Huh

Very good point, like a softer more laggy action.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I am looking to add a St Croix spring bobber to my fishing rod and when I went to there website they have four different weights. I plan to use the pole for panfish mostly and to use small jigs and spoons. What is your suggestion to what size spring to get. The sizes and order number is listed below. Thank you in advance.

SFS-L   L   
SFS-M   M   
SFS-MH   MH   
SFS-H   H   

Don't know or not if you realize that the St Croix spring bobber system is unique to their Legend Series ice rods which will cost you $50.00.  In order to use it on an existing "non-Legend Series" rod you have to design a way to use it.  Here is one from a earlier post on the Shanty.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31578.msg381509#msg381509

Hope all works out for you and let us know how you got them to work.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Very good point, like a softer more laggy action.
Thats exactly what I ment. Agressive fish like agressive jigging but the fish aren't always agressive ;)

Offline joesp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2010, 03:26 PM »
Thanks for all the info. When my check comes in this week I plan to order a ML pole from St. Croix and also plan to buy extra spring bobbers and try to add them to other poles. Thanks for the link backatit, I was looking for that post but I could not find it so thanks again for the link. I plan to post pictures when I get the spring bobbers mounted to my other poles.

Offline joesp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Just got my pole and extra spring bobbers from St Croix today in the mail. I will post pictures and info on how I made the same spring bobber system on other brands of rods in the rod making section as soon as i get them done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.