Author Topic: What EveryBody Useing For Hooks  (Read 1781 times)

Offline SaskFisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
What EveryBody Useing For Hooks
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Need Some Tips For Hooks :unsure:

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What EveryBody Useing For Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:09 PM »
the 2 ft perch you caught last summer for some 6 ft pike :D

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:53 PM »
lol @ spoxick.
Still counting.....

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Sharp ones.   Read some posts man

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:43 PM »
northland moxie minnows,macho minnows and buckshot spoons all effective for walleye and jumbo perch.

Offline fishn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:29 PM »
2-3 inch spoon with minnow, for large walleye, keeps the little buggers away.  i like firetiger, perch or 5 o d.  caught a couple double digit walleyes with this setup.  and i don't mean a jiggin spoon either,  they have about as much action as a rock.  len thompson or similar casting spoons produce an awesome flutter when they fall. a jig and minnow works for just about anything, anytime

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:09 PM »
moxie minnow and deadly dick spoons tipped with minnows, also the chubby darters do well

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:02 AM »
buck shots buck shots buck shots....cant get anybetter,well for me anyway,anything from northland. also little lens with trailer n minnow! shhhwwing!

Offline noluckjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:03 AM »
now that you guys have given me the info I need to go out and spend thousands of dollers on new hooks I am all pumped up to try and catch a fish......lol

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Okay fine! I'll be the guy...PK Lures.

Just a note on the PK Lures - I have made fun of the marketing campaign about those on here, however, they do seem to be fairly well crafted, good quality hooks.  I have had limited success with them, but have only had a few opportunities to try the PK. 

I find that a horizontal jig and stinger combo work incredible for Perch.  Buckshots are great for Walleye and my buddy always nails Pike on a Rapala jigging lure (very realistic). 

Peace!

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Everyone has their favourite hooks. I have used hooks that shut down everyone around me. I have also been shut down from fishing buddies putting on their go to hook. So the moral of the story is alot of hooks great till someone fishes beside you with a better one.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:11 PM »
t-tot
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:21 PM »
 Buzz Bomb   HaHa

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:55 PM »
nice lol that worked out pretty good

Offline noluckjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I was out at Black Strap yesterday and pulled in my first pike out there (7lb) I was using a treble hook and half a smelt? Can I also use a spoon when using a tip up? and should I bait the spoon? I was thinking about putting a len thompson 5od with a minnow on it do you guys think that would work?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:44 AM »
noluckjoe are you trying for pike? How deep? At Buffalo for pike I use a whole smelt on a treble. You just push the hook up thru the smelt and hook it to your leader so the smelt sits natural. Give it little jigs about four inches off the bottom. They love it. Rig it the same way on your tip up. Only works for shallow water tho. If your too deep you can't feel your smelt.
Still counting.....

Offline fishn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I was out at Black Strap yesterday and pulled in my first pike out there (7lb) I was using a treble hook and half a smelt? Can I also use a spoon when using a tip up? and should I bait the spoon? I was thinking about putting a len thompson 5od with a minnow on it do you guys think that would work?
  not the greatest idea, but i suppose it could work,  but a spoon is meant to be jigged to show its action.   

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
size 6 clackin rap for big pike,  you could probably even go bigger if you want,  I got four out of one hole.... two over 5 one over 10 and one snake.  Also attracts many other types of fish.  Got a 10lb walleye and lots of smaller ones out of pasqua with my tingler spoon.  And I use deadly dicks, darters and five o diamonds with success too.  
Cheers

Offline perchasaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Black barbless jighead with yellow eyes with a minnow. Simple, yet deadly. But buckshots, swedish pimples, and Len Thompsons of all sizes.
Fishing lakes in Saskatchewan since 1980, or so.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:23 PM »
yes a spoon will work on a tip up  ;)  and with a little current they work pretty good ... poor 44in on my wall lol

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:45 PM »

Look up how to make a quickstrike rig, you will have much better luck than trying to use a spoon. Use a mackeral, smelt or sardine whole on there, the bigger the better.

:tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I've always used a pike rig, or a couple of big J's and it works well with a big smelt or sardine.

Has anyone tried those 'reel weeds' before? or those leaders they have that have the 'tassels' down to the hook? I was watching some vids on them, just wondering if they really worked.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:46 AM »
I use a gorge hook, stick it through the mouth of the smelt or herring and up through the middle of the back. then i stick a screw or a sharpened 1/4" bolt with the head cut off up its butt so u can't see it. This gives it weight and balances it. Always have a few ready in a ziplock. Then its ready for the  :tipup:. :thumbsup: :clap:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:28 PM »
ochocenko; A few years back I made my own version of reel weeds. They didn't seem to do much at all. I think they look unnatural in a lake where all the weeds are dead/dying in the winter. Maybe other guys have had luck but not me.
Still counting.....

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:36 PM »
for tip up rigs i've been using homemade rigs, made with a three way swivel then i tie 60 lb leader material to each eyelit on three way and then maybe 3-4 inches of leader and tie to a #1 or #2 red treble. one hook goes in head and one just in front of back fin, leaving smelt or cisco hanging nice and horizontal. seems to work well for me.

Offline Big-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Gamakatsu – super sharp.  Working on new hook: gold, aberdeen, fine wire, size 4-6 – the fine wire supposed to slip right into lip on those finicky bites.  Also herd Owner makes great hooks (four blades), but can’t be sharpened.  A good sharpener on hand is key (4 inch diamond stone).  In additon to blades, try experimenting with some beads.    
Dave
The Ranger School 2003
SUNY ESF 2005

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.