Author Topic: Custom Humminbird Helix 7 G2 & Fishphone case  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Chuckie

• IceShanty Rookie
Custom Humminbird Helix 7 G2 & Fishphone case
« on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Hi all,

Figured I’d share my project, I was contemplating buying one of the Helix 7 G2 ice fishing units but I had $400.00 in gift cards and time on my hands. I sold my first fish finder case unit to also help fund this one.

Pictures show the end result. I haven’t had it on the ice yet, but I can’t wait. I have a Helix 9 on the Lund for the summer and love Autocharts Live. This one also has Autocharts but also came with Nav +, use this on the front of the boat and use the US2 in the Minn Kota.

It’s all stainless hardware, Ram mounts and weather proof cigarette/USB plug. The case was a Kijiji find on the cheap. Total weight is 30lbs. I normally don’t wander around on the ice, I have my favourite spots that I set up shop and don’t move generally.

I have a pile of pictures, Finally got some uploaded!

The rest of the pics:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2si9b7nnq/

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Re: Custom Humminbird Helix 7 G2 & Fishphone case
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:13 PM »
Hey Chuckie,

Nice Work  :thumbsup:

Looks like you did really clean install. Let us know how it works out!

shawno

Offline Doggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:28 PM »
This is awesome. Really nice work!
I am going to be building a setup for my Helix 9 Mega this week and was thinking about a Pelican case too.
Right now I am just trying to figure out the lightest/smallest option for a battery that will last a full day as it draws a lot of power.
How many AH is the battery you are running on the setup?

Offline Chuckie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:58 AM »
9 amps per hour I believe. I’ve run them before on smaller Humminbirds and gone over 7 hours with no signs of major voltage drop. I’ll find out how it fares with the Helix.

Also, if you’re building your own as well Doggy... Peavey Mart has some of the best prices (in comparison to Can Tire) of stainless hardware. Never checked Fasteners or Shippers Supply, didn’t think they’d want to deal with qty’s of 10. lol

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:18 AM »
How long are you guys getting on a battery. My helix 7 is dead in 6 hours it don't matter if I turn the brightness down or not

gman51

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:59 AM »
OK i guess for the stay in one spot fisherperson...looks to bulky to lug around. but good luck.

Offline Chuckie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Yep, works awesome for sitting. When I do wander around, I flip the Ram mount and orientate the Helix so the case sits upright and I can easily read the screen. I prefer this over the LX7 I had, it was light but awkward to carry.  I don’t mind the size of it as I’m a big strong man, it builds arm strength. lol

I got 7 hours out of it last weekend before I quit for the day. More than enough time for me as I normally backpack on the ice away from the vehicle. Whenever I plan on being in a shack or close to the vehicle I’ll run a cord out to it as I have the cigarette end on it.  No need now though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.