Author Topic: Jiffy Ice auger recoil issue  (Read 3001 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy Ice auger recoil issue
« on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Hey guys,
I searched a few pages before posting as im sure im not the first to have an auger issue, but couldn't find any open threads..

My explanation will be poor, so bare with my me and my jot note form of issues..

Auger starts, recoil stays out, loud noise ( sounds like a metal baseball card in a bicycle spoke.. best way I can explain it) but at high speed..
smart silver steel part pops out the bottom of the auger, appears to be a 1" or so with a curl over on one end but not broken, auger runs normal now,
go to restart, no recoil engagement to engine... ice fishing day over.. good thing we cut a bunch of hole's while it was running...!

Any how, I am no technician, however it seams to me there is some sort of catch inside the recoil that has come apart of off.. I haven't taken it apart yet, but have read to be cautious with
recoils..

Does this poorly explained situation sound familiar to anyone, any help or suggestions .. I will indelibly take it in to a mini tune, but if its an easy fix, id like to do it myself

Offline fishinguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy Ice auger recoil issue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Same thing happened to my auger. Lambert Distributors had replacement recoils. 3 or 4 screws and its changed and works great

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Yeah. Sounds like the spring broke, you can change them but its a pain in the ass. Replace the assemble, its easy.

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2018, 12:35 PM »
X3 just replace the whole assembly
Learn to pull less rope out
Amazing how little you need to pull to turn over engine and start it

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:51 PM »
after these comments and some videos online, the piece of steel that came out is much thicker than spring metal.. obviously I have to tear it down to figure it out, but are there other moving parts inside of there?..

any idea what this is..?

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Looks like one of the pawls.
The piece that is pushed out and engages the mechanism to start the rotation of the motor when you pull the rope

Purchase a new assembly and just bolt it on.
Keep the old one for parts.
You never know what will go next time.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:59 PM »
thanks for the info.. I don't suppose there is anyway of fixing that piece that anyone knows about??

Im going to have a hard time getting to a small engine shop during business hours this week, and would like to get out fishing this weekend

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Hard to say without getting into it.
There are likely two of those pawls maybe three in the recoil. Each held in place (closed) by a spring. When you pull the rope they open because of a plastic piece on the recoil body engaging them causing them to turn the engine.
Check out you tube videos on snowmobile recoil repairs. Same system just bigger.
I fear the pawl is out because the plastics holding it or the spring are damaged.
Not sure these recoils were meant to be repaired like sleds.
These are cheap and kind of disposable. 😩
This from a die hard jiffy guy👍

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:12 PM »
ran jiffy forever then about 4 yrs bought new model 30.  carb problems etc.  cost service pretty much told me well send you a new card and then engine as having so many issues... I think they quoted 400.  So told them to beat it. sold the unit off.  went to eskimo and have never looked back

jiffy was amazing back in the bay.  my dads is prob about 15yrs old and runs like a champ.

eskimo is the best auger out now.   great c/s and still using gasoline.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Bought an Eskimo didn't even make it on the ice wouldn't run out of the box. It's all garbage unless you spend a grand or more.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Lol a k on an auger funniest thing i've ver heard. you can take mine  and see    if it doesnt work tape 10 1hun bills to it and light it on ifire   I'll settle the difference with you

gman51

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:25 AM »
thanks for the info.. I don't suppose there is anyway of fixing that piece that anyone knows about??

Im going to have a hard time getting to a small engine shop during business hours this week, and would like to get out fishing this weekend
  sent you a p.m. EVAN NIM.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.