Author Topic: Laker Bait  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Codywojo

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker Bait
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:05 AM »
I am on a lake in Upstate NY and fish for Lakers. I usually use dead smelt on a tip up and do real good. If I can jig up live ones, those are preferable. I have been really striking out this year and wanted to see what everyone else uses with sauces on a tip up for lake trout. Also, I tend to put the smelt right under the ice, although sometimes on the bottom. I have access to almost any type of live bate, but shiners don't work. Thinking about baby perch but would love some ideas.

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker Bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:24 AM »
My preferred lake trout bait is cut sucker bait layed on bottom and about 3 ft slack line, chumed around with a little bit of cut bait also. most days will out fish live bait 3 to 1

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Cut whitefish about 6" off bottom

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Bullheads AKA "skulpins" are what we use here in the West. Macs can't resist em!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Large dead shiner or sucker with belly slit open right on the bottom
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:03 PM »
try a new spot,if you aren't getting lakers on smelt there must not be to many lakers near by.when you use dead smelt be sure to hang the at different depths in the water column and be sure the look as natural as possible,get the bait to hang upright like its swimming.i fish lakers a lot and i never lay anything right on bottom i always suspend the bait a few feet off bottom,also try all different depths of water its not uncommon to find lakers in 35fow in winter.hope this helps good luck.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:35 PM »

cut dead shiner on the bottom
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:00 PM »
dead bait suspended off the bottom

sorry i had to

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:45 PM »
nice fish!! but if you layed bait on bottom you would have a few more,- :) just kidding!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:20 PM »
dead bait suspended off the bottom

sorry i had to

No problem ;)
Nice fish

Offline MEyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Keep moving and find the fish. I was fishing on bottom in 30-50ft of water and was getting nothing so I move my traps into 15-20 ft of water and put smelts just under the ice an had 2 togue in 10 mins

Offline Codywojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Thanks for the info- moved into 5 feet of water and caught a 32" last weekend- about 5 feet from shore. I'm going for suspended dead bait- cut shiners and suckers- and moving every 2 hours tomorrow and see how that works. Thanks for all the tips, ill post results. Part of it seems to be that my lake is at the top of the cycle for smelt. 5 years ago they were super low and if you threw one in, they would come and get it. Now there's so many, my theory is they are smelt picky.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:00 AM »
Bullheads AKA "skulpins" are what we use here in the West. Macs can't resist em!

Sculpins are awsome!!!

but bullhead are a totally different fish!! please dont use BH for bait in my neck of the woods!

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Sculpins are awsome!!!

but bullhead are a totally different fish!! please dont use BH for bait in my neck of the woods!
Does there evil scary look scare you? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Perch
Your Drag!

Offline wyocenterpin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 AM »
while going to school and working I had no time to get fresh bait.   I would buy gold fish and kill them to stay with in the laws of my state.  they worked great!  and cheaper than minnows.     the ugly ones (not gold) worked best.   don't beat me up over this.   also don't let you kids see them they get attached.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Sculpin are awsome!! no doubt about that!! ;)

But we have enough bullhead around here and they over populate too quickly and then you cant catch any thing else, and they get wormy and are not worth eating. :-\

GFP  pulled out 80,000 BH from one of our local lakes and didnt even put a dent in the population.

Wish we had sculpin here, and I am sure we due, but I dont see very many.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.