Author Topic: Jason Mitchell Pro thermal X  (Read 499 times)

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jason Mitchell Pro thermal X
« on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:03 AM »
I have not read a lot about these shanties on here so thought I would provide some feedback.  I purchased mine about 6 weeks ago.  Set up was not hard but took quite a few hours.  Overall the shanty seems tough and great quality.  The thermal canvas is nice and prevents condensation.  At 27 square ft of fishable area there is plenty of room for two anglers, heater, two lines a piece, etc. 

The new quick trigger pole system is great and you never get fingers pinched.  Also the new support pole system is genius.  Support poles are fixed and easily slide into place.  They included sled lights, battery bracket, minnow bucket, and center console are great.  Sled lights are not super bright but do light up your holes and the sled.  It is nice to have a light in the sled at night!

When packing up I remove both seats and fold them in the sled.  This allows me to slide the collapsed shack under my tonneau cover. 

Overall I really like this shanty so far. 

My only complaint/concern........I was a little disappointed with the thermal canvas and warmth.  Fishing at 1 below zero the shack was warm but not "hot" how I like it.  Don't get me wrong, we were wearing bibs, sweatshirts and no jacket and still warm enough, but I really thought the thermal canvas would hold heat better.  I would really like to sit an Otter side by side with same heat source and see if their fabric makes a huge difference. Please understand I am really being picky here.  I was out a few days ago in 15 degree temps and kept the heater on low to medium the entire time without a jacket on. 

So far I would recommend the thermal x to others looking for a 2 man. 

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jason Mitchell Pro thermal X
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2013, 02:45 PM »
I have a Nanook Thermal, so the same fabric. I have never been able to compare to another brands thermal fabric, but you are definitely right about the bad heat retention. With my clam banked well with snow, my little buddy heater struggles to keep up if it is below zero..

Go Beavers!

Offline icefishnaddct

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jason Mitchell Pro thermal X
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:02 PM »
i have the pro thermal x as well and love it. i love some of the features like the removable seats and that your able to slide the seats forward/backward and side to side. being able to slide the seats forward and backward is great for changing rod lengths as opposed to a fixed seat where you set your holes for a certain rod but when you switch to something shorter/longer you have to contort your body.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.