Author Topic: Sharpening a Fillet Knife  (Read 3509 times)

Offline gerth21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Booyakasha!
Re: Sharpening a Fillet Knife
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:55 PM »
that is a good pint on the sand paper but for a light fillet knife that would wreck the blade maybe it would work for a bubba blade ???

any ways here is a you tube video on how to shapen with sand papper my suggestion some thing 400+ grit up to 3000 grit trizac... this guy is useing wood ware i have seen pain glass used too for the holder for the sand paper. 

I use the 80 grit paper on mine just fine. It's a lot gentler than you think.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Butcher steel

:thumbsup:

WS

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:35 AM »
A butcher's steel keeps the edge honed. If the edge gets too worn, then a stone or ceramic sharpeners should used. I touch up my knife several times when i clean fish.

That's what you should invest in.  A good steel is priceless.  More times than not, a few good swipes on a steel and you are good to go.  In a pinch you can also use a long philips screwdriver.  Steel sharpens steel.

Don't knock a $5 knife.  I picked up 2 decomissioned processing knives at a local bait shop in Ludington.  They are my go to blades for everything from gills to venison.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:09 PM »
It would seem to me that the issue is not so much a sharpening one as a $5 knife one.  :cookoo: $5 knife is POS spelled sideways.  You just can't sharpen them and they don't stay sharp 'cause the metal is too soft.  Get yourself a good knife first and then learn how to keep an edge on it. :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.