The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!  (Read 25424 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Here is my homemade 2.5 to 1 gear reduction for a cordless drill that I had mentioned in the clam conversion plate thread recently.  This is my proto-type reduction auger I built the last few days. I call it DORA, drill operated reduction auger.  It takes 450 rpm from the chuck and make 180 rpm at the bit. I run a dewalt 18v xrp, which can be removed from the unit in 16 seconds and another 14 seconds to remove the auger, in 29 seconds I removed both drill and auger from the reduction gear!!!!
The torque is just awesome!!!!!!I built it using old bicycle parts I had laying around.  I have a blue shoe string tying the drill in right now but plan to get a velcro strap. The drills throttle is the hand brake lever for easy control.  I painted it with industrial implement paint.....Awesome stuff, so nice I decided to wire wheel and paint my Mora showing bare metal.  Really turned out nice, I used a paint called MAJIK from tractor supply, it takes 24 plus hours to dry so you know its good, lol.  All in all, the project went awesome, can't wait to build another one!!!!  Did I mention total package, drill, auger, battery............... ..................17lb s!!!!!!!!!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I have no idea how to post images on this forum? Help please!
Just go through the photo bucket.
http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Whiskerwacker/media/IMG_1701_zpseefed2b2.jpg.html

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:51 PM »

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:53 PM »
go to your photobucket account and click on the img. link to the right. Then right click in your posting, left click on paste. There the pic will be

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:55 PM »

there you go, very nice job, I would like to see it in operation

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Nice project, cool idea.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Now that took some SMARTS....good job. I would like to see it working as well.

As far as posting pictures...you almost had it but you used the " link" button instead of the "image" button to the left.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Thanks!!! I will make a vid of it running tomarrow, she runs as smooth as silk. Hopefully now I can drill 8" holes with ease without hurting the drill, and my kids can drill holes without me fearing them hurting themselves. It really is light and easy to hold and use.  I drilled holes with an 18v xrp last season and had a few close calls almost nipping my shin with it spinning too fast, so I would not let the kids touch it. Now they can drill till all 6 of my batteries run out. I am hoping the drill will barely get warm with the reduction but time will tell.  Now if the temps would just drop at bit I would get to rip some ice.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:19 AM »
That is a really neat job of engineering.  I suspect the thing might be harder to hold if the auger binds, though.  More torque on the auger = more torque on the operator too.  I hope a kid can handle it.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:54 AM »
That is a really neat job of engineering.  I suspect the thing might be harder to hold if the auger binds, though.  More torque on the auger = more torque on the operator too.  I hope a kid can handle it.

They will probably try to get the auger to bind on purpose and then they have a carnival ride to occupy them during slow fishing.  Weeeeeeeeeeeee!
Cheese Head

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Very nice.  Great work.
<===Lefty===

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Great job I often wondered why no one had tried this yet seems like its No brainier for turning an 8 inch auger :)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Great job I often wondered why no one had tried this yet seems like its No brainier for turning an 8 inch auger :)

Me too, I mean, come on...... like I said products should be tested by regular people, not pro's with unlimited budgets.  Sure a drill will drill 6- 8 inch holes through the ice, but I feel bad for the poor drill. Pro's get drills for free to burn up, lol.  Gear reduction is the way to go.  I did some torque tests today with Dora and it is unreal I can't bog the motor and can put my entire weight down on the unit and no flex.  Just a few modifications and my prototype will be complete. I need some ice bad!!!!!! Can't wait to shred.  I am posting a vid shortly 

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:48 AM »
when you get the mods. complete, seems like you would build me one just posting your pics. ;D ;D ;D

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:48 PM »
when you get the mods. complete, seems like you would build me one just posting your pics. ;D ;D ;D
I would gladly build a few at cost to a few product testers!  For some reviews...  I am still figuring out where to order all the parts for the 1st production model.  All of the parts on this one were salvaged from bikes.   I would love to offer these for sale,   I don't plan to get rich or anything I just like quality tools, and if that means I have to make them myself.... so be it..... Lol.   Video is uploading now, I'll post when it is finished.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Vid is finally done uploading......
&feature=youtu.be

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Great video and nice setup.
<===Lefty===

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Whatta great build! Be sure to post a vid on the ice!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:46 PM »
THANKS FOR POSTING THE VIDEO. I THINK YOUR INVENTION IS JUST THE NUTS. LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU GO INTO PRODUCTION.
 I HAVE A CLAM KNOCK OFF PLATE THAT I HAVE MADE MYSELF FOR THIS YEARS ICE. BUT I REALLY LIKE THE GEAR REDUCTION FEATURE.

Offline BrianB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:56 PM »
That is some real mind work there. Thats a sweet rig there.

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Very well done! Since the clam plate came out, I have wondered why no one has come out with a reduction unit.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments!  I will def keep everybody posted on production it seems there is quite a market for this and I would love to make and offer them for sale.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:20 AM »
Just watched your video....excellent job!  :clap: :thumbsup:
Looking forward to seeing the first ice video....best of luck with your creation and thanks for sharing it with us!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:28 PM »
I'm sorry. This just looks scary to me. I'd be too afraid of catching some piece of my clothing/gloves in the gears/chain and lose a part of my anatomy.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:08 AM »
I thought of making a full chain cover, but decided against it, thought it might get clogged with snow or ice.  If used properly hands and clothing are nearly a foot away from moving parts.  I actually tried to get caught in the chain and could not as long as I stayed on the correct side with the chain guard.  Maybe I just use too many power tools during my day to day and have become numb to the danger of them, thanks for the comment.  The ice is starting to build here in NwPa, only a few weeks out from safe ice hopefully.  I will let you know how much blood is on the ice, lol   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:27 AM »
I'm sorry. This just looks scary to me. I'd be too afraid of catching some piece of my clothing/gloves in the gears/chain and lose a part of my anatomy.
Oh come on now the worst it is going to do is rip off your chest hair. Unless your real tall.
<===Lefty===

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Oh come on now the worst it is going to do is rip off your chest hair. Unless your real tall.

Lmao! good stuff.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:45 PM »
Cool Idea and unit. Would like to see a video of it actually drilling an ice hole.

Also.......**censored** is with orange haven't you heard the song IN JOHN DEERE GREEN.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Personally I like the Orange. It's not a Deer anyway it's a DORA.
<===Lefty===

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Very nice build.   Team DORA !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.