Author Topic: Sharpening fillet knives  (Read 2616 times)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Sharpening fillet knives
« on: Dec 01, 2003, 08:05 PM »
One more question for everybody -

Anybody know of a good sharpener for fillet knives?  I've tried a bunch of different sharpeners, and I can them sharp enough to work, but I can never get them as good as they are right out of the box.  Any suggestions?

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:Sharpening fillet knives
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2003, 08:14 PM »
Chef's Choice edge select 120 Diamond hone 3 stage.Will get your knives razor sharp.I've used it for years.Well worth the $100.00 bucks
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2003, 08:37 PM »
I use the Lansky sharpeners. You can set the angle from radial to razor blades. They have different sets, I have the basic three stone set, if I remember right it was about 35 bucks. Maybe do a google on Lansky and see what you come up with.
I used to try to do them with a stone without the guides and it was hap-hazzared. Sometimes I would get a good edge, but usually I spent a lot of time and not getting the edge I wanted.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:33 AM »
First consideration is your choice of fillet knives. Higher quality knives have thinner blades of better steel than the inexpensive ones. Check out Wusthof fillet knives at www.Chefscatalog.com. Very good knives worth the investment.

A good fillet knife should only require occasional touching up on a sharpening steel.There are reasons why chefs use sharpening steels to keep their knives in shape.

When using a steel the knife is always sharpened an equal # of strokes on each side of the blade keeping the edge straight. The steel produces a "ragged" cutting edge which acts as a serrated knife edge would and allows the knife to break the surface and slice through fish bones more easily. A good quality oval steel runs about $40 and will last the average person a lifetime.

My knives only see the sharpening stones when the edge needs reshaping or thinning. When this is necessary I use ;
1- 500g. diamond flat stone
2- 1000g diamond flatstone
3- 1000g. water stone
4- fine diamond steel

For bulk fish cleaning you can't beat an electric knife.

RGFIXIT

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2003, 05:29 PM »
Every thing REFIXIT say's is real good. I also use the ovel steel rod. I think one of the most importent things is dont let it get dull, I think I spend as much time sharpening as I do cutting. Once you loose the edge it's hard to get it back.
Always keep your line wet!

harold_lssu

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 05:32 PM »
I use a Gatco dimond sharping kit that works just fine. it came with everything you need to sharpen knifes and it gets them sharp.

Offline trapperjon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water-Happy
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:02 PM »
Depends on the knife you're trying to sharpen, the harder the steel, the harder to sharpen it ,or the harder the stone (diamond) it takes to sharpen that blade.
Personally I've had very good luck with rapala knives it's fairly soft steel 52-56c rockwell hardness but easy to sharpen by hand on a stone,(use a large one if possible) use pretty much the same strokes on the stone as you would on a fish SKIN, try to keep your strokes even- 10 on one 10 on the other, then Lap it.
Use your levi's or leather like the barber does and you should see significant results after a little practice.
40 yrs. And still on an ice fishin' mission!

ice fishing fool

« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:23 AM »
I have a tormek wet grinding system and I can sharpen anything from scissors to knives to chisels and even my mora auger blades and get an edge that will slice thru paper.  It uses jigs to hold whatever you are sharpening at the proper angle and has a leather wheel that allows you to put a honed edge on all your stuff. Kinda pricey but wouldn't be bad if you could split it with somebody.  Good luck jeff

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:27 AM »
Ahh, to heck with all that just give them a touch on the grinder. LOL ;D

No seriously I have a round steel that I bought at Sears about 5 years ago for $25. Its all Ive ever used. The only time Ive used a stone is when my significant other has used my knives to cut wire with, or washes my knives with the rest of the silverware, and puts little knocks and burs on the edge. I think I have finally educated her on that though.

Minim

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2003, 01:05 PM »
I use a belt grinder, one pass on each side with a 400 grit belt then one pass on each side on a buffing wheel.  Sharper than new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.