Author Topic: Gps question  (Read 2230 times)

WannaBe

Gps question
« on: Oct 09, 2003, 01:12 PM »
First off, thanks for the wealth of information I have taken in from this site.  I am looking to purchase a GPS unit this year, and am curious to know what some of you purchased and why.  I am not looking to spend 500$ on one, but I also know you get what you pay for.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks Tom.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Gps question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2003, 01:22 PM »
I just bought a Garmin legend,I read up on all garmin gps's
And found this one would be suitable for me.Its for land &
marine use. Easy to use, I picked it up @ BPS 4 $199.Beforeyou buy go to www.garmin.com    And pick out whats suitable for your needs. P.S Check out the equipment
board  & read what others have to say about GPS.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2003, 01:37 PM »
I have a Lowrance Global Map 100 gps and I am very pleased with it. I payed 199.00 for it and I feel it was very good investment
Bobberstop

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2003, 02:23 PM »
I've owned three GPS units, all made by Lowrance.  I've used two Garmin units, and one Magellan.  Every manufacturer makes some better and some lesser units.  I think the Lowrance iFinder is the most bang for the buck.  I like it's features.  It's available as a plain jane, no frills unit that is upgradeable, or dressed out to the nines.  I paid $146 for mine at Wall Mart, and 2 months later got one for my daughter for $110 at the same store.  My brother, my nephew, and 3 of the guys I work with also bought the iFinder.

Check out the other thread on this forum about the Garmins.  Go to Magellan's website, Garmin's website, and Lowrance's site, and make an informed decision.  

Spend the extra bucks and get a unit that is WAAS enabled though.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapperjon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water-Happy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:24 PM »
I have a magellen (trailblazer) it's ok for getting you out of the woods but no reccomendation here for fishing. GPS as with LORAN are great tools but if something goes wrong and that's been Known to happen, you're close but not on!
Better off  to use the tools you already posess and use the technology secondary.
40 yrs. And still on an ice fishin' mission!

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 10:25 PM »
I bought a Garmin a couple of yrs ago ,and like it a lot. One thing to remember when using a GPS is that your not always going to be on the exact same spot the next time you return to where you marked it ( like say the fish crib or christmas tree that you slayed them on last time out ) all GPS coordinates are approx. 6 ft off, only military issue units are always accurate.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2003, 07:31 PM »
WannaBe, i'm glad you posted this question i'm in the same boat and don't know what to buy. Will the less expencive units like the iFinder bring you back close to the spot you put into its memory (20 feet)?.
I shure could use one to bring me back to my hot spots.
I have to ask cause i don't know anything about them.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2003, 08:41 PM »
Crappieloo,
I go geocaching once in a while.  It's an internet based treasure hunt kinda game.  Sort of a nerdish time waster.  Anyway, I can usually get within 3 feet of the cache with my iFinder.  Especially when it is locked on to WAAS birds.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.