Author Topic: Any Subaru Owners out there?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Any Subaru Owners out there?
« on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I was just curious if you are satisfied with your purchase?
 I was last looking at the RAV4, then the wife drove into the Subaru dealer. I like what I see and heard but want to know if these vehicles are "that" great. Basically change the oil and fill the gas tank is what I am hearing. Best gas mileage for that type of set up.
 How is the handling in the white stuff?
 This will be my winter camping, ice fishing, surf(saltwater) fishing truck.
 Any imput about the Subaru you own or a friends/family member would be helpful. Thanks again!

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
Re: Any Subaru Owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:31 PM »
no offense man but it's a toyota rav4. lol.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:44 PM »
the subaru is the family car. they all have one. we have a brand new froester its awsome. my best friend has a RAV4 and he doesnt like the blind spots. all i have to say is that you cant go wrong with either.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Go on youtube.com and enter suburu outback in the search, theres a video on there where a guys zipping around a parking lot in some pretty deep snow. I want an outback, my ice-house would fit perfect in the back!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:49 PM »
I have a Subaru Outback and I like it alright...it's not a truck, but if you want a vehicle that's good on gas, can haul your family, and also haul your gear, a Subaru is probably the best choice...The AWD is really nice on icy roads.

-Zach

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:04 PM »
I own a forester and love it. This will be my first winter in the snow, but im confident its gonna run great. I guess an awd will send power to opposing wheels when others loose traction. The exact opposite of 4wd. I love subies.

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I'm very happy with my Outback.  It's great in the snow.  I'd like to step up to a Forrester next time for the extra room.  The seats in my outback fold back and I can get all my icefishing stuff in there.  For surf rods, 2 piece work best, but if my passenger doesn't mind a rod tip in the face, it works for one piece outfits too.  Good luck!

Offline dim sum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:22 PM »
I work for a Subaru dealer as a tech and i can honestly say they are superb vehicles.  The AWD system never has any problems, very little maintenance required and they get relatively good gas milage.  The boxer engine set up is a little noisier than than other configurations but nonetheless still quite reliable. 

I have had extensive experience with other manufacturers such as Honda, Mazda, Ford, Jag, only thing i have to say about Subaru is that they are about 5-10 years behind in technology in relation to the other Japanese products (honda, toyota).  But that is not always a bad thing depending on the way you look at it.

The biggest difference between the subaru and the rav4 would be the ride height and the AWD system.  Subaru is 4-wheel drive all the time, and the Rav-4 is part time, but is full time on slip.  The subaru is great on the white stuff, but the rav4 has the higher ride height.  Still, both are excellent vehicles.

If you are looking for a good reliable vehicle with good gas milage, AWD capabilities and decent looks i would recommend a Subaru.

DS

Offline TonyTheIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I have a 1996 Subaru Outback with 167,000 miles on it.  It is the best auto that I ever owned.  I use it as both a family car and my fishing auto.  I trailer a small boat or put my surf rods in the ski rack on the roof when the water is soft.  When the water is hard, I put my ice fishing sled on the roof.  The boxer engine is balanced and has very little vibration.  Even after 167,000 miles the engine burns very little oil.  I change the oil every 3,000 miles and never have to add any between changes.  The traction in the rain and snow is excellent and the anti lock brakes work great.

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:31 PM »
I personally don't own one, but a few of my friends have them and love them!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:45 AM »
We have a Subaru Outback for our family car, handles snow and icy roads very well, so well that my Wife hates driving my F250 4X4 in the winter.   Would I buy another (for what we use it for and the road conditions here), yes I would!

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2006, 05:20 AM »
Here's mine on Lake George a few seasons ago -

It's a 2004 Impreza TS.  Only major thing that's been done to it with 60k miles on the odometer is a new set of all-seasons.

You'll need to do a bit of reading tho - the slip diff on the AWD is NOT the same across the whole Subaru line.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:16 AM »
We have and Outback and couldn't be happier with it.  My wife's family was always die-hard GM, then she got the "Ru" and she will never own anything but.  Great in the snow and good gas mileage to boot. 

Go with the Suburu.
I love a flag!!!!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:25 AM »
I have an 05 Impreza STI and I love it...

...okay I wish, but they are deffiantly nice cars, and I would go for it!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:29 AM »
my old '93 impreza has driven me around through the mountains and snow and ice of jackson hole, wyoming for about seven years.  never gotten stuck, had to do an extremely small amount of maintenence on it considering how i've driven it, and it's still running strong.  absolutely, suburu can't be beat unless you want a truck.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:41 AM »
they have a truck too kinda the brat, and the baja.  it's hard to beat a subaru :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:45 AM »
I bought new a '04 WRX wagon in 11-03.  Has 55k miles now only has needed a new set of tires. This thing sticks like glue on snow.  I drive a lot of snow here in colorado. Hauls ass also.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:02 AM »
I have a 2000 Forrester with 170K miles on it!  Still runs great and all I've ever really done is change the oil on a reg. basis.  Great in the snow, hauls all my ice gear, etc.  During archery season, I can fit my large jet sled in the back in case I kill a deer so that the blood and mess doesn't get on the inside of the car.  I also have one of those Thule brand cargo containers on the roof for extra gear.  Very versatile and dependable vehicle.  When it eventually craps out I will definitely get another!

Good luck- Mike

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:13 AM »
Here's my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. This thing is killer in the snow!

Offline HAWGTIED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:28 PM »
   Have '00 Outback wagon with 111,000 on it and it is the best car I have ever had for all around family/outdoor activities.
   My portable shack fits in and the door will shut, but  with my old jeep cherokee I would have to tie the back down.
   They're not the cheapest but they are a grat vehicle.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2006, 04:08 PM »
   They're not the cheapest but they are a grat vehicle.

They ARE about the cheapest AWD vehicle out there!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:34 PM »
My dad owns a subaru outback, and my mom owns a CRV, whenever im driving I hate the crv, slow, bad mileage and is hell on winter conditions, my dads standard subaru is my favorite little toy, It cranks along pretty good, and sticks to the road like a madman in the winter. I can fold the seats down and fit a lot of stuff, plus bike racks and roof racks are a plus. 170,000 miles on it, and it still runs great. Im a fan of the ru's, but whatever happened to that australian guy that did the outback commercails?

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:34 PM »
i have a 92 legacy wagon and it's just awesome in the winter, even with all season tires i never slip or get stuck.  try this link for more info http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/

Offline Wegashanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE KING
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2006, 04:39 PM »
If you are looking for a SUV try the B9 Tribeca...Very nice (in my best Borat voice)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Thanks, but way out of my price range  :(

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I know lots of people who have Subaru's and they all love them. Sister, Neighbors, family friends, ex boss  etc etc :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I just purchased a 2006 Forester for my wife, she loves it. I plan on getting anohter one once my jeep dies!
 :tipup:
CEO

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2006, 04:10 PM »
If you are looking for a SUV try the B9 Tribeca...Very nice (in my best Borat voice)

I hate the front end on it.  Reminds me of an Edsel.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.