The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Don't know if true or not but found on fb.  (Read 1578 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't know if true or not but found on fb.
« on: Nov 21, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Minnesota is requiring all fish house occupied or not to have a state licence talk about problems faced for some anglers..

http://www.fox21online.com/2017/11/20/minnesota-fish-houses-wheelhouses-require-license-purchase-season/

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Don't know if true or not but found on fb.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 03:46 PM »
That's not quite what it says.

A shelter meeting the new definition of portable only needs a license when a person leaves it unattended, meaning they are father than 200 feet from the shelter.

Don't get more than 200 feet away from your popup and you don't need a license. That's about 2/3 of a football field.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:28 PM »
That's not quite what it says.

A shelter meeting the new definition of portable only needs a license when a person leaves it unattended, meaning they are father than 200 feet from the shelter.

Don't get more than 200 feet away from your popup and you don't need a license. That's about 2/3 of a football field.

Then when you go to check tip ups you need it  if you don't use tip ups your fine like said lol's  don't know if it's even leagAL to do that in Minnesota tip ups that far away??  cause we have to have them  so we can get to them in a timely manner..  if you fall asleep while fishing that's one foul aginst you.. same with not getting to your tip up fast enough like if your pulling "hammer handles" (maening sub legal fish) that are gut hooked there's some thing wrong with the way that persons fishing.. our rules are writen in michigan for the c/o interpit   and also so he can go either way depending on how much of a pain in the arse some one is being towards the c/o.. baically under the discretion  of the ahj or athority having juriousdiction .. all we can do is follow rules as closely as posible..  but a few bad egg that need weeding can be done to dufuse a situation..they can do it very easily.. that why it's best not to help argue a point for some one..  in our great state if michigan there very plain and stright forward.. like don't snag don't poach meaning over limit for day or year.. you should be fine..  they know their gray areas for rules and different rigs riggings ..  that why there not as wordy as some states.. they leave room for interpretation..  unlike new York like how much fly  line backing etc you can have on a fly reel etc wich may seem rediculous but rules are rules... right?? Lols ??

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Admittedly, I'm not that knowledgeable on how far away to set up tip ups, but a 200' distance in any direction from your shelter gives you ~125,500 square feet around your shack to set up tip ups in.

No where in the regs does it say you must remain awake while in the shelter (in MN at least).

Really, all this is doing is removing wheelhouses from the "portable" category. Anything that's not intended to be left on the ice when you're not there is portable and doesn't need a license, anything (like a tow behind house) that you drop and leave for weeks no longer is.

Offline Billy Strings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Really, all this is doing is removing wheelhouses from the "portable" category. Anything that's not intended to be left on the ice when you're not there is portable and doesn't need a license, anything (like a tow behind house) that you drop and leave for weeks no longer is.

That is the main intent of this law but it does affect portable fisherman.  An unoccupied portable needs a license.  Unoccupied is defined as 200 ft from your house.  This probably won't affect most but it does for me and other guys I know.  If its slow where I set up the house I'll go for a hike with my gps auger rods and flasher in search for fish and I'll often go much further than 200 ft.  I'll also jump in the truck and go check a few spots for fish.  If it's stacked I'll come back and pick up the portable and move.  Sometimes I'll run in for lunch and a beer at the bar and leave the house out.

Its not that big of a deal buying the license for a portable.  It's just annoying because I don't think that was the intent of this law.  They should have required a license for a portable left unoccupied between sun down and sun up instead of the 200 ft rule. 

Lots of wheelhouse guys have issue with this tax aka fee because they pay a road license tax for their wheelhouse and now have another fee for the ice.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:43 PM »

Its not that big of a deal buying the license for a portable.  It's just annoying because I don't think that was the intent of this law.  They should have required a license for a portable left unoccupied between sun down and sun up instead of the 200 ft rule. 

Bingo .. I am just throwing it out here cause I seen it on face book..  though It may give people a heads up just encase they did not know the law.. law changes and notification and word of mouth helps get the word out so people complain less and fish more.. who knows a $30 tag could save them a $500 fine right??  And that $500 add up to a lot of lost time fishing and haveing to work.. sorry was not sure the price of the tag those are just examples .. to give Idea of why to by the permit.. fines are always more then the permit.. in first place..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.