The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: looking for Eelpout  (Read 2860 times)

Offline heinsmd

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for Eelpout
« on: Nov 12, 2017, 04:18 AM »
What is the southern most lake you would expect to find eelpout in MN? According to some distribution maps, they show them as far south as Rochester but I never heard of anyone catching them down here. Others show coverage to lakes just north of the cities but in the St. Croix and Mississippi.  I would like to do some fishing for them but I don't have the time to drive up more than 2-3 hours north of Rochester. Anyone know a spot were to fish for them on the south half of the state? Or the Sothern most lake they have caught them in?

Thanks for the help!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: looking for Eelpout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I would say the Mille Lac you'd have a chance in February. They typically reside in deeper lakes so I'd look at your Minnesota Lakefinder app and check the lakes in your area, usually the app shows a survey for the lake and will list the species in the lake.

Offline heinsmd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 03:28 AM »
Minnesota Lakefinder app and check the lakes in your area, usually the app shows a survey for the lake and will list the species in the lake.

As I'm sure your aware MN is the land of 10,000 lakes. That is a lot of lake surveys to wade through, That's why I was looking for the experience of fellow fisherman.

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:11 AM »
South of Mille Lacs, pretty much any Burbot you find are going to be in the Mississippi, St Croix or their tributaries (especially the lower reaches of Trout streams).  Most the Burbot are small and they are not common.  I do know a few get caught here and there mixed in with by-catch while Sturgeon fishing the river but ice fishing lakes I think you'll have to push to the edge of that 3 hr driving window to the Mille Lacs area.  The only place I've targeted them has been Lake Superior and in the Arrowhead (mostly in the BWCA), which is beyond your desired driving range.

Offline Ethan C

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We need some ice!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Lake Winnebago WI has eelpout, not sure if that's closer for you tho.
Where's the ice bro?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:06 AM »
As I'm sure your aware MN is the land of 10,000 lakes. That is a lot of lake surveys to wade through, That's why I was looking for the experience of fellow fisherman.

I'm fully aware of the nickname that Minnesota has, actually its more than 10,000... Either way, the Lakefinder app is a great tool, I've used it when I fish Northern Minnesota when I'd go up for the Eelpout Festival on the different pothole lakes around Walker. It lets you select on the map what area you're in and you can narrow things down. Sorry for helping you.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:53 AM »
X2 on the DNR lake finder, leg work isn't always easy. I've put many hours into researching lakes and some still turn up duds.
I haven't targeted eelpout yet but hope to do so. What I have read is for a real fishable population people usually go up around Brainerd, Bemidj, and Lake of the woods areas.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Here's the link for the Lakefinder page, very useful tool for the state of Minnesota.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:50 AM »
The lakes down between the Fairbault and Mankato Area.  Tetonka, Sakatah, I can vouch for sure for eelpout.  I don't remember if Francis or Elysian has any.

I don't target these lakes, since the few times I've gone, there has been lots of fishing pressure or just ice traffic.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Swigen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:35 AM »
No Eelpout (Burbot) in Southern MN including Tetonka, Sakatah, etc. You must be thinking of Bowfin. Burbot are pretty sensitive to high water temps and are found in many of the same lakes that Cisco (Tulibee) are found for the same reason. If you want a shot at catching one, think Leech, Big Winnie or other larger lakes in northern MN.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Are there any pout in Upper Red?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Are there any pout in Upper Red?

Never seen one and that is a very shallow lake, I'd be surprised if they were in there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.