Author Topic: DIY Auto Bite Hook set for rod/reel with mousetrap as trigger  (Read 6069 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Watched Midwest angler last weekend and they showed a Fastrike Bite Indicator, works like a tipup but attaches to rod. Searched youtube for a closup to see if I could make one. While there watched some videos on DIY Auto bite hook sets, they set the hook they don't let line out like a tipup.

One I watched used a mousetrap as trigger. Made one tested it and worked great, probably will tweek it maybe add a ziptie to the eyelet to hook trigger thru instead of the rod eyelet. Also add a float to put slack in the line allowing the fish to run off before triggering and a 12" wood swivel to keep fish from dragging pole down hole.

Here's a video showing one with a wire as the trigger, probably solider than the mousetrap trigger. About 8 min. into the video it shows how where to add a float to put slack in the line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMWd01Cm3I

Simple to make took about 20 min. I added a 2nd pole holder for shorter rods.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: DIY Auto Bite Hook set for rod/reel with mousetrap as trigger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Pretty cool !

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Great ideal. Good time to make one myself.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Pretty cool. I made some homemade ones but the mousetrap is an interesting idea. Watch those cold fingers though
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Way, way back when I was a kid I saw an article in Field and Stream magazine showing how to make an ice fishing rig using a Victor mouse trap
tacked vertically on a 1 x 3 that was attached to a horizontal base that lay on the ice.  As it was the December issue and Christmas was just around the corner I got the idea to use the setup as a Santa Claus trap. On Christmas Eve, I ran the line horizontally across the opening for the fireplace in the living room. That way, when Santa came down the chimney, he'd trip the device and the loud snap would let us know he'd arrived.  We had all settled in bed and were asleep when a tremendous crashing/banging sound came from living room.  I ran out to see my little sister with a claw hammer beating the daylights out of my trap!!! She took this Santa stuff seriously..

fish on

rivereddy

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I have made 1 with bent coat hanger wire for the trip mechanism but this one looks slicker.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Here is a design for one if you don't want to put tension on your rod.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:24 PM »
My luck, the trap would catch the tip of my rod as the fish trips the trap.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:56 AM »
made some of these last year.  can make 5 for 20 bucks or so buying everything. light, comes apart to tow, can adjust setting, accommodates multiple rod lengths, and works very good.         rig2.jpg                                                                   

I didn't glue it together at all.  they also have eye screws down the shaft now for multiple rod lengths. can make them any length you need.
you can just use string and wire if you have a rod holder already too.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Year end results, it does work.

Never had any minnows this year that's what I made it for. Never had a hit all year until my finally outing at Culver. Had been using hair jigs w/beemoth all winter and nothing. So at Maxy I tried a plain hook with a red worm, was hoping for a eye or big perch. Had 2 triggered hits and caught one 6" dink perch. I did hear the trap snap, turned around and the pole was bobbing up/down.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Very kewl.

Offline Limbcatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2019, 11:09 AM »
Somebody needs to kill that bug!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I bought the automatic fisherman “the snapper” from cabelas for $24 on sale works great. I have never caught a fish that wasnt hooked in the roof of the mouth!! I have missed some fish though probably hook 3 to every false trigger, not bad and like i mentioned always in the top lip or roof of mouth. I will be looking into making some like riverscums as I dont think a mouse trap where you put your fingers is for me.

"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2019, 03:00 PM »
....... I will be looking into making some like riverscums as I dont think a mouse trap where you put your fingers is for me.

What the mousetrap does for me is make it simple. I watched many videos on making a DIY hookset and all but this one used a wire trigger.

I choose the mousetrap for a few reasons, I don't have to bend a trigger its already made, its simple easy to set, its compact, and most important its low to the ice out of the wind. Being low the wind does not spring it, with a wire trigger its up higher where a gust of wind can trigger it.

If you're creful the trap it won't snap down on your fingers. You may be thinking of the old verticle trigger types, those do misfire allot and can get your fingers. The type I used the wire hooks under a horizontal lip making it less likely to misfire.

I added a ziptie to the tip for easier setting plus it helps get the tip out of the way of the jaws sooner

Offline InSeineNet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Musky,

Nice design!

Did you ever try to run this rig without actually setting the trap?

The reason I ask is because this is essentially the same concept as the jaw jacker and others... the jacker uses the loaded rod to keep tension on the “dog” and the “trigger” mechanism keeps the dog in place and the rod loaded similar to a conibear bodygrip trap. In your setup the dog would be the wire that normally holds the trap jaw down and the trigger is the fake cheese. I would think that the rod would be able to keep enough tension on the dog to keep the trigger from falling/tripping without a fish strike.

Just a thought since some guys are worried about snapping fingers or Rod tips.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Have never seen a jaw jacker so don't know how they work. But I set mine up as you explained and looks like it would work. There's not nearly as much tension on the wire to keep the pan set but seems like enough to hold the set. I added a photo and will try it next winter, if I remember that is.

Offline InSeineNet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2019, 05:59 PM »

That’s basically the premise, there is a finger that holds the loop attached to the rod, which is connected to a piece that is parallel but rotated 90 degrees.  The fork has a tab that keeps the dog set down, when a fish bites the fork drops and the dog flips up releasing the rod. There is also a wing nut that can be loosened and tightened for a lighter/heavier bite. I was able to set mine where if I added one more beemoth to the jig it wanted to trigger. Sk it can be ultra sensitive.

I would think that you may be able to use your setup both ways, one with the jaw set and one without; I think the without would be good for a lighter bite since the rod is the only thing holding up the trigger from dropping, with the jaw set a fish would have to overcome the tension from the spring to get it to trigger, hence the heavier bite.

I tried attaching a pic but it’s the first time so not sure if I did it right!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:15 PM »

I would think that you may be able to use your setup both ways, one with the jaw set and one without; I think the without would be good for a lighter bite since the rod is the only thing holding up the trigger from dropping, with the jaw set a fish would have to overcome the tension from the spring to get it to trigger, hence the heavier bite.

You're point is probably right on. I think for mine to trigger the fish probably would have to bite and swim away to throw it but I really don't know. The one fish I did catch was a dink 6" perch which is pretty small but it was hooked in roof of mouth not the side so maybe it sprung when he hit it. If he swam off I would think it would of hooked in the side of the mouth.
Next year when I get to try some bass/walley minnows I may have problems with the larger minnow triggering it. Probably best to set the trap for more tension when using large minnows. Anyway can't wait till year year to experiment with it more.

One thing with the trap set, if I'm close enough I get alerted from the snap sound of the trap that I have a bit.

Offline InSeineNet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:27 PM »
I agree I only got out with mine 1 time definitely looking forward to trying some other experimentation next season!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.