Author Topic: Keeping holes open, great idea  (Read 144568 times)

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keeping holes open, great idea
« Reply #120 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:02 PM »
i use blac plastic gold mining pans. i cut about a 1 inch grove from the center all the way out for the line to go in. then you just slip the cover over the hole and the sun keeps the hole nice and warm. when you have a fish on just move it off the hole. it works great.

Offline THEGAFFER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SLAMMIN STEELIES!
« Reply #121 on: Feb 13, 2007, 12:11 AM »
When i started ice fishing as a kid I wouldnt sit still long enough to have a chance at a fish so my dad gave me the job of keeping the holes cleaned out. I still like to clean them out reminds me of the past I guess.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Apr 20, 2007, 10:38 AM »
i just keep skimming the holes.
as it gets colder, i'll chamfer the edges of the hole with a little hatchet, to increase the diameter.
when it's so cold i can no longer keep up with the holes freezing over, i pack up and go to the bar.
i just heard of the can of charcoal. i'll try that next year.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:52 PM »
i just keep skimming the holes.
as it gets colder, i'll chamfer the edges of the hole with a little hatchet, to increase the diameter.
when it's so cold i can no longer keep up with the holes freezing over, i pack up and go to the bar.
i just heard of the can of charcoal. i'll try that next year.
:afro: :afro:Good Idea! :afro: :afro:

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Apr 26, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Allot of great idea's!!   :)  I,m still leaning towards "CHIP n DIP".   :-\

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #125 on: Sep 18, 2007, 03:04 PM »
One of the oldest tricks up here to keep the hole from freezing over is actually cover your hole and line with about 2 feet of snow.  This is used for lines set out over night for burbot.  The snow insulates the hole from the cold air and the water does not freeze.  You simply shovel off the snow and check your line.  Not sure if this is still legal or not, but it works.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:44 AM »
most people carry heaters correct? why not carry a small soup pan, boil the water on your heater and dump it in the hole (without your line in it). can take the lake water out of the lake, warm it up, and put it right back in.....no environmental issues.....and only 1 small peice of equipment to take with. I take that a a small 1 sandwich frying pan (nothing better than a warm sandwich if its bitter cold)...weight is about 3 lbs for both.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #127 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Maybe pouring some veggie oil in the hole?  Might keep ice crystals from sticking together and freezing the hole tight.  ???

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #128 on: Dec 17, 2007, 01:22 PM »
i push snow in my holes its a mess but it works on tip ups only  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #129 on: Dec 17, 2007, 02:30 PM »
most people carry heaters correct? why not carry a small soup pan, boil the water on your heater and dump it in the hole (without your line in it). can take the lake water out of the lake, warm it up, and put it right back in.....no environmental issues.....and only 1 small peice of equipment to take with. I take that a a small 1 sandwich frying pan (nothing better than a warm sandwich if its bitter cold)...weight is about 3 lbs for both.

only one problem it may sound crazy, but warm water will actually freeze faster than cold. ever have a pip freeze in your house?? odds are it was the warm one and not the cold. just something to think about

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #130 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:23 PM »
only one problem it may sound crazy, but warm water will actually freeze faster than cold. ever have a pip freeze in your house?? odds are it was the warm one and not the cold. just something to think about

It' called the Mpemba effect and conditions have to be perfect for it to happen, part of the reason a warm water pipe will freeze before a cold water pipe is the warm water pipe starts to condensate and the condensation ices up  around the pipe freezing it at a faster rate than the cold water pipe..

I would have to say the  hot water thing won't do any good on the ice long term, look at it this way what chance does a hot pot of water have against a giant lake of an ice cube.. But for removing a tip up without having to chisel the ice it might be a good idea.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #131 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:38 PM »
I have been using my homemade hole covers for about 10-12 years. They are 12"X12" with a slot the size of my Polar shaft cut to the center. I used a piece of flexible plastic to cover the slot. If i have Snow on the lake I Cover the covers and my polars with snow up to the mechanics. At 20 below I usually only have a skim of Ice in the morning, although the diameter shrinks a little.   :tipup:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #132 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:58 PM »
The Hole Plug .... this will work for hard sides , Make a square from 2x4 each side being roughly 18" and 4 inches high , put a bottom on it made of cardboard , fill the mold to the top with expanding foam < Great Stuff from Walmart works > let it set up good and hard , when it's fully dry cut a hole in it the size you need for you're auger and toss what you cut out , now line the hole with a cheap plastic bag so it forms to the sides of the  hole and the bottom is nice and flat , fill the plastic bag with the expanding foam and put a piece of wire with a hook on each end  in the foam for a handle and let it set up , once it dries solid pull it out of the mold and remove the bag it should slip rite out of the mold . Now you have a Hole Plug that will last years . just stuff it in you're hole before you leave for the day and voila you're hole is insulated with a 4 inch thick piece of foam fitted to you're hole . You can put a small plastic bag over it just in case it tries to freeze in and it will slide rite out of the hole .

Save the mold you could make hundreds more with it !!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #133 on: Dec 23, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I have used a asphalt shingle with a slot cut in it , They seem to work well too, just enough weight they dont blow away with every little gust of wind .

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I use a small sheet rock saw. Poke a hole in the ice  and saw a circle around the trap lift the trap up and knockoff the ice. No skimming needed either.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #135 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:25 PM »
I do not know if I have already have post this but here goes my rear truck floor mats have slots and holes cut in them just use thick ones for those ten inch holes.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #136 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:14 AM »
I was out the other day and it was 9 deg out and blowing 30mph.  I was sitting on the ice in front of the hole blocking the wind from moving the spring bobber around.  I had a little portable heater sitting between my legs to keep my hands warm.  As it rested on it's side next to the hole I noticed it kept the hole from instantly freezing over and kept the spring bobber clear of ice.  Probably easier to just put a shack over the hole.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #137 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:27 AM »
my holes cover over very seldomly because there is usually much action. if not much action happens with a tip-up, i try to keep them on the move till i get the rite spot.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline godofwar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:27 PM »
this was mentioned on a previous post but...get a ping pong ball and paint it black....and throw it in your hole...it will be heated by the sund and will float around and keep the hole ice free....again this was in a previous post just thought i would mention it to you guys

bring a few extra ping pong balls so you can play beer pong on the ice

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #139 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:38 AM »
on the left. made from a truck inner tube. a piece of coat hanger keeps it from falling in. on the right, tip-up/fish carrier.

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline hawg hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:58 AM »

i know of a few lads up my way take a foam bucket and cut the bottom out and push it in the hole,they say it works ok,only thing is i think they use a 10" auger.

Hawg Hunter

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #141 on: Nov 06, 2008, 08:58 AM »
great idea
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #142 on: Nov 07, 2008, 06:26 AM »
great ideas guys ill have to look into some of these.Thanks

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:00 AM »
I've always used these for tipups. http://www.peterson-outdoors.com/TipupIceHoleCovers.htm
If you want to get a little crazier, cover the hole with something and then put snow over it. Snow will slow the heat loss from the water.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #144 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:00 PM »
I saw a nifty rig for keeping the holes open in a Reeds catalogue.
It was by strikemaster and it was called the heat pump.  It runs on a 12volt power source and is suppose to keep the hole open with warm moving water. Depending how you set it, it also enlarges the bottom of the ice hole for easier landing of fish.

I don't have one myself, but, it did sound interesting. :)

Do any of you have it?

WW

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #146 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I saw a nifty rig for keeping the holes open in a Reeds catalogue.
It was by strikemaster and it was called the heat pump.  It runs on a 12volt power source and is suppose to keep the hole open with warm moving water. Depending how you set it, it also enlarges the bottom of the ice hole for easier landing of fish.

I don't have one myself, but, it did sound interesting. :)

Do any of you have it?

WW

Got on this summer, cant wait to try it.

DennyB

« Reply #147 on: Nov 17, 2008, 07:39 AM »
I've never done this but I don't see why it wouldn't work......buy cheap foam plates, spray paint them black, cut the necessary holes and slots for the lines and you're set.  The tip-up will hold them in place, they're cheap, light, waterproof easy to stack  and did I mention cheap? 

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Nov 17, 2008, 07:54 AM »
I've never done this but I don't see why it wouldn't work......buy cheap foam plates, spray paint them black, cut the necessary holes and slots for the lines and you're set.  The tip-up will hold them in place, they're cheap, light, waterproof easy to stack  and did I mention cheap? 

Good idea and the price is right.  IMO Only problem I see is due to the lightness you might end up losing them on a windy day.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #149 on: Nov 17, 2008, 09:03 AM »
I like the hole plug idea for inside the shack. Great idea. As far as painting foam plates, good concept if the paint doesn't dissolve the foam. Very sensitive to petrol products. Lots of good ideas though.    ;D
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.