Author Topic: Minnows in a bottle  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Minnows in a bottle
« on: Dec 07, 2002, 02:58 PM »
Has anybody ever tried to put a couple minnows in a clear plastic soda bottle and suspended them down at the depth you are jiggin. I heard about but never tried it. Crappie and panfish see the other school of minnows and come to the bottle but the only bait they can eat is you jig!
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Minnows in a bottle
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2002, 03:13 PM »
I've never heard of that....but i guess it's worth a try. I think I'd pay money to se that one on the Aqua View.lol

MNwalleyeGUY

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2002, 05:24 PM »

That would defintely be something to see on the aquaview.  I will try that with a couple
minnows.

GOOD LUCK

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2002, 12:58 AM »
We usually put 8 minnows in a glass jar and add a glow stick.Drill holes in the lid.The minnows last forever.The only set back is that sometimes you get tangled in the minnow tank line.We believe it works. :'(

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2002, 07:15 AM »
We take a pickle jar and pop holes in the lid.  Attach and rope to the lid and we use it to keep our minnows alive in the permanent house .  This way we don't have to drag out minnows to the shanty each time we go.  

The way it works is you drill a hole outside one of the corner holes of your fishhouse.  Take a piece of wood and tie the end of the rope that the pickle jar is attached to to the wood.  Make sure the stick of wood will lay across the hole without falling in like a tipup does.  The rope should be about 6' long.  Drop the pickle jar into the hole outside of the fishhouse.  Drill your holes inside your house and then use a coat hanger or if the ice is thick tie a coat hanger unto a pole.  Hook the rope and pull the jar up into the house.  if you keep the rope tight in the house it will not get in the way of your fishing line.    

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2003, 08:34 AM »
That sounds like it would work, I saw a fishing show where they were talking about old lures and one of the lures was a small glass tube with a live minnow in it, that you attached your line to it and reeled it in like a crank bait.the glass was used to enlarge the image of the minnow.  from what they said, it worked!
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Woodman

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2003, 10:36 AM »
Wow,
I am suprised to hear that most of you have never heard of such a thing.  I use an old glass minnow trap that can hold about two dozen medium shiners.  I only use it on days when I intend to be on the lake all day and expect a lot of competition.  It seems to hold fish under you longer.  I have actually had fish follow the jar all the way up to the surface as if the school of minnows was rising up.  Pretty cool to hear somone else talking about this little trick.  I picked it up from an old timer who would always be outfishing everyone on the lake.  Dated his grandaughter and found the jar in his garage.  I figured it out and purchased my own at a yard sale for 50 cents.  Nothing ever came of the girlfriend, but the tip was worth every minute wasted.   ;)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2003, 10:37 AM »
Ive tried it this year a little bit and it hasnt seemed to work. But i wasnt fishing in good spots. Thanks Woodman, now i will try it in different holes that are more pruductive. :'( :'( :'( :'(
Many are cold, but few are frozen

zoom

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2003, 07:23 AM »
SHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Re:Minnows in a bottle
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2003, 06:23 PM »
I tried this technique because fishing was slow where i was. It didnt seem to help much. Thankfully i got them pulled up before the warden checked me. I wasnt sure if it was legal or not.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2003, 07:05 AM »
I've seen these years ago, but can't rembember where? They were pretty cool, around 1 or 2 gallon glass or polycarbonite jug with a hole in the cap with a 12v automotive type bulb (sealed) wired with around 15 foot of wire with aligator clips to hook up to battery and hang off the side of your boat for night fishin'.
Should have bought one, but wouldn't wook for Icefishin' cause the size of the bottle.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:59 PM »
i guess i wouldnt see why it would be illegal.... its not like you have a hook attatched to the jar or anything... you are simply storing the minnows in the lake to keep them aling... i do that in open water pike fishing all the time....... jab a spike into the sand on the bank,,,, tie the line between the spike and the minnow bucket and then toss it in.....
same thing really

Melbs     :'(

bullheadbasher

« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:11 AM »
I have never heard of such a thing.  That is really wierd to me.  Allright, I might have to check out.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2003, 01:20 PM »
is this known as "Jug" fishing? IF it is... it is Illegal in Wisconsin. I am reading in my regulations book now and it say.... and i quote....  "It is illegal to fish using the technique known as 'jug' fishing in all waters of the state."   I guess im not even positive that this is the same thing as what we are talking about.... anyone know?

Melbs           :'(

acsacmboy

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:22 PM »
its not jug fishing
jug fishing is when you take a milk carton and tie about 5-12 foot piece of dacron on the handle, put about 1-3 hooks along the dacron at different depths and about a 6+ounce wieght at the end of the dacron to keep it down. commonly used for catfish in the south on rivers and resiv.'s.  this is NOT jug fishing.

the boy and the old man ;)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2003, 03:28 PM »
OK thank you... i thought it was probably something different. just wanted to make sure tho!!! thanks again!!!

Melbs        :'(

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2004, 08:11 AM »
Now the season is coming to a close I will have to be on the look out this summer for the right items and rig one up. (Like I don't have enough to put on my little sled as it is now).  :)

May try a 2 liter soda bottle with a little weight in the bottom for fishing / keeping the bait alive this summer.

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.