Author Topic: Farm pond question  (Read 1786 times)

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Farm pond question
« on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I fish a 8 acre gin glear gravel pit quite often.  It is 12-14ft deep almost everywhere and is all a weed bed for structure with a couple rocky areas/sandy areas and small hard to find brush piles.  It is home to monster crappie up to 17 inches that are tought to find as they dont hold tight to anything and has a good number of small bass under 4lb.   Now my question is about perch.  I have never caught one here but my camera proved that there are large schools of 3-5“ perch.  Is there a possibility these perch will grow up and make this a nice perch fishery?  I am yet to see a large perch and dont know where these came from so I dont know what to think about them.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Farm pond question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Assuming the other fish do not eat the perch, I can only assume based upon what you said about the crappie, the perch would be pretty good size and become in time, a healthy fishery in there.

I use 3-5" perch for bait and the fish LOVE them.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Farm pond question
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:41 PM »
You described a good habitat. However, maybe years of tiny perch are the reason that there are such big crappie
Makiplastics Pro Staff
Clam Outdoors Pro Staff (Powerstick)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.