Author Topic: Large Walleye Growth/Fungus....Would You Eat This Fish...Post Yes or No  (Read 16630 times)

Offline GEOMAX

• IceShanty Rookie
I am not a biologist or expert in this area, but I have seen several fungus/tumors on fish before but nothing like this.  Please comment if you have some knowledge of these growths.

How about a poll, yes or no, would you eat it?  The fillets of course, not the growth.

Ill update how it tastes in a few days.

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
its not on the flesh of the meat ur going to eat. yes i would

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
We get allot of walleye here on Champlain that have those growths on them. I was told that its just from stress on the fish? i dunno if its true, but ive caught plenty of fish that have looked like that and it doesn't affect the meat. No worries!

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
Never seen it before but i agree that it should be ok to eat but i would notify and ask the conservation officer first. Even if its ok Id make sure that they know so they know whats going on.

Offline PeteTown

• Team IceShanty Regular
I  guess well find out .......

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wouldn't eat it. I'd throw it up on the bank.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think I would eat it. Sure would like to find out what it is though...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Not that hungry... I'll pass Thanks
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline z714x4play

• IceShanty Rookie
hmm prolly just not the meat close to the spot.
YOU MIGHT BE FROM MICHIGAN IF...
1. if you define summer as 3 months of bad sledding.
2. if you've ever experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
3. if your favorite holiday's are Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the first day of deer season

Offline walleyesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye & Perch the other white meat.
I would clean it, freeze the effected area and take it to a DNR office and ask them before I ate it. I shot a 13.5 inch spike one year with a lemon sized growth hang'n from it's eye! What the heck! Took it to DRN office and they documented it and said it was Fibroma-like a mole to us. The old timer officer said they were tasty fried in butter and onions-YUCK! The officers got a kick outta that. Point is don't throw it out till you check it out with someone who knows.
God created bass for those who can not catch walleye.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would not eat that either.That is something abnormal!!!Just like the would tell you the fish in Lake Ontario,"the fish are OK to eat BUTT don't eat if you are pregnant or don't exceed 1 lb per month"...as far as I am concerned don't eat at all.

Offline Yelah8384

• IceShanty Rookie
its called lymphosystis... its a virus that walleye can get...its usually passed through fish around the spawning time of the year when they are close together. the growths come and go...if you would have caught that same fish in a couple of months he might not show any growths like that but he would still have the virus ya never know if they have it or not unless you see the growths... IT IS OK TO EAT THE  FISH...but i would take the skin off.

i have eaten fish with it before...no difference

Offline storminnorman

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline jake8484

• IceShanty Rookie
I was at the fish hatchery this last spring when they were collecting walleye eggs. You would be shocked to see how many walleyes had "odd" growths on them .  The workers there said it was very normal during cold water periods and that these growths would go away during the summer. As someone mentioned it may have to do with a stressed fish and there were actually a number of them where you could see the handprint of the fisherman who caught the fish sometime in the recent past. It did not affect the quality of the meat according to the "experts".  I personally would have eaten the fish but may have taken off some of the meat in the immediate area of the growth. Which in this case was near the gill opening so not really anywheres where it would have warranted removing any "extra" meat.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would cut the fungas off,  Soak it in egg then roll it in bread crumbs (italian flavor) then deepfrey for 3 minutes...  It taste like chicken.. ::)

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
its called lymphosystis... its a virus that walleye can get

Actually, I'd say it's WDSV, Yelah (Walleye Dermal Sarcoma Virus).
It isn't harmful to humans, however care must be taken to properly cook fish (sushi isn't a good idea  ;)) ... also another reason not to throw remains or entrails of infected fish back into the lake... the virus is spread from infected individuals in this way. They will eventually subside or disappear entirely in infected fish... we call 'em "walleye warts"  ::).
TC   

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Actually, I'd say it's WDSV, Yelah (Walleye Dermal Sarcoma Virus).
It isn't harmful to humans, however care must be taken to properly cook fish (sushi isn't a good idea  ;)) ... also another reason not to throw remains or entrails of infected fish back into the lake... the virus is spread from infected individuals in this way. They will eventually subside or disappear entirely in infected fish... we call 'em "walleye warts"  ::).
if in dought dont eat it. protect yourself no one else will.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
make sure u cook it up good and eat it!!

Offline -ADKIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get Some....
not sure if I would eat it.  :-X
--------------------
Rob K out!

15lb. mono leader for me!

"Its all in how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
Id eat it now after finding out all this info from you guys ;D

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wouldn't eat it. I'd throw it up on the bank.

What's that suppose to mean?  ::)
Andrew

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
They're both viral skin infections and aren't associated with walleye mortality, and both are harmless to humans. Infected walleye should be processed for the table as usual. On the rare occasion when a skin lesion penetrates into the musculature, that portion of the fish tissue can be removed and discarded, unless you really want to gross out your fishing buddies  :o  ;) !!!

TC   

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Theres a lot of other stuff out there that will kill ya long before that fish does... like an addiction to copenhagen and bourbon
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
that portion of the fish tissue can be removed and discarded, unless you really want to gross out your fishing buddies  :o  ;) !!!

Or your relatives that are coming over for dinner  :)
Andrew

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Harmless viral infections, pre and post spawn related (stress),there fine to eat,I've caught piles out of lake Erie,in Pa.,Ohio,and N.Y.   To Tip-uptwo It dosen't work I gave most of them to my relatives,and there still alive and still ask for walleye fillets.

Offline Yelah8384

• IceShanty Rookie
lymphocistis

PWR BAIT

I have eaten allot of walleyes with those growths I have one growing on my neck :sick: :roflmao: :roflmao: just kidding they are OK to eat

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have eaten allot of walleyes with those growths I have one growing on my neck :sick: :roflmao: :roflmao: just kidding they are OK to eat

;D
Andrew

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
If Jessica Alba had that on her neck and for some reason wanted to go home with me I'd have to pass.

So the answer to your question is. NO who the hell really knows what that is.

You could end up making a sci/fi channel horror movie script.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline basskiller46

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I swear I had a Bite"
Id be afriad to eat but some people i know wouldnt take a second look at it it would be on the frying pan :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.