Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Rods that you bought and don't use.  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rods that you bought and don't use.
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Not including old rods, do you have any that you've bought that just doesn't get much use? For me it's a Scheels Tournament 26" ML. I bought it a couple of years ago. It's pretty sensitive and I think would make a decent jigging rod for Perch, which I don't fish for.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rods that you bought and don't use.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:14 PM »
I have an $80 Thorne Bros rod that I have no use for. I have a number of TB rods, they are almost all that I use. But this one is of a style that is neither necessary nor particularly effective.  I sometimes think of selling it but I never get that far.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Jerry neuendorf over in Denver iowa makes ice rods that you will use !!! Because there the best.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:29 PM »
I have several.  When I started ice fishing I walked into Thiesens and bought 2 "light" rods. No idea what I was buying. One was a Ice Blue and the other was something else.  Then I bought a Fenwick EliteTech UltraLight.   Then I finally bought something I can feel the bite with.  23" Beaver Dam Glass Noodle.  Actually bought another this morning at FleetFarm. 

I could use a spring or tip on them but why?

Have purchased the basic eqmt for rod building, ready to put the thread on my first ones...
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline cbducks78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I would have to say every rod of every brand I purchased from 2006-2014.  Then I bought a Tuned Up custom Precision, then a Tuned Up quick tip, and as of late a  Tuned dead stick.  And with the exception of St. Croix Avid series rods I've moth balled the rest. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:22 AM »
TUCR PN. Used it for a month or so then realized it wasn't getting me any more fish than my old rods were and I was having to worry about breaking a near $100 custom rod. It may have helped me catch a few tiny fish that would otherwise have been hard to detect.. But I don't believe it was worth near the money. I usually fish for aggressive fish, if it sits on my jig for more than about 10 seconds I've already moved on to a new target or a new hole. Light biters aren't worth my time, I could just hop around and pull aggressive fish.. Same exact thing happened with my TB rod as well. Sold it right away (flipped it actually). I feel with my style of fishing, I do just fine with $8 HT ice blues. I know that's taboo to say, but hey they work.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Joboo2334

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:45 PM »
I agree Kevin
I'm gonna miss her,when I get home.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:58 AM »
I've loved the ice blues for a long time and still have 4 I pull out when the kids go fishing (I also have one in my rod case).  I believe they are still useful and the perfect rod for a beginning ice fisherman.  However, I feel DH custom and TUCR give you a much better hook set, and I know they have a much better backbone.  Are there $40 rods that compare?  Possibly.  I think I bought 2 of my DH customs without the REC guides for $60 each and have been extremely satisfied.  I know I miss hook sets from time to time on my ice blues that I wouldn't have on the others.  It could just be from me being used to not having to set the hooks that hard with my custom rods. I will say I prefer the orange tip of the ice blues (and DH customs) to the green tips on a TUCR.  As far as fishing with Ice blues - there is nothing wrong with using something that just works.  Bought and collecting dust - several scheels rods, several berkley rods, and I think a couple of Fenwicks.  The reason for it is I don't have the walleye fishing around me that I used to and those rods are more geared towards that.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:29 PM »
TUCR PN. Used it for a month or so then realized it wasn't getting me any more fish than my old rods were and I was having to worry about breaking a near $100 custom rod. It may have helped me catch a few tiny fish that would otherwise have been hard to detect.. But I don't believe it was worth near the money. I usually fish for aggressive fish, if it sits on my jig for more than about 10 seconds I've already moved on to a new target or a new hole. Light biters aren't worth my time, I could just hop around and pull aggressive fish.. Same exact thing happened with my TB rod as well. Sold it right away (flipped it actually). I feel with my style of fishing, I do just fine with $8 HT ice blues. I know that's taboo to say, but hey they work.

If you still have that PN and want to sell it PM me.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:26 PM »
If you still have that PN and want to sell it PM me.

Sold it already, sorry!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:09 PM »
Kevin don't feel bad about getting sucked into the expensive rods and reels thinking they will catch more fish. A lot of young people think this way these days, they watch all these shows and believe the hipe. Heck my first ice rod had 2 dowels to wrap the string around and a steel sharp point on the end. I'm with you if the fish isn't going to bite I'll move to one that will moto. I'd rather sit outside on my bucket and catch nothing then use one of those new fangled flasher things.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I bought my son the Ice blue this year he can catch fish like crazy on that pole.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:12 PM »
any rod you are comfortable with is the best rod to use.  i and my boys 8 and 11 years old run the blues.  not worried about the light biting fish.  boys have learned to "feel the bite" with their fingers and when their gloves are on watch the line.  the verticle jigging in the fall for lite biting crappie really helps heading into the ice fishing season.  and if the tip gets broke off like both of the 36 inchers which are now between 35 and 34 inch rods it is still a pretty good rod. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Kevin don't feel bad about getting sucked into the expensive rods and reels thinking they will catch more fish. A lot of young people think this way these days, they watch all these shows and believe the hipe. Heck my first ice rod had 2 dowels to wrap the string around and a steel sharp point on the end. I'm with you if the fish isn't going to bite I'll move to one that will moto. I'd rather sit outside on my bucket and catch nothing then use one of those new fangled flasher things.

flashers have been around for like 60 years.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:03 AM »
i basically use my custom noodles.  i never broke the bank, paid like 60 a piece for them to be built.  no bells and whistles.  since then i've picked up a few other noodlish rods.   ht blues, shakespear noodle they work but lack the backbone for hooksets i have in my customs.   i also bought a few st.croix legends and a premier.  the spring bobber is second to none on the legends but my "L" rods are as stiff as a board.  so it doesn't get much use.   the premier is not a good rod at all in my opinon.   

so those are the ones that collect dust.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:08 AM »
i bought one of the fly reel bro frabill rods when the fly reels started getting popular a few years back. I think its a 28" nothing against the combo it will catch fish I just didn't care to use it all that much after the first couple trips with it. I gave it to a friends son and he loves it.  I bought the scheels rods that are a lot like the  Mitchell meat sticks, even has the same yellow and orange striped tips.  best rods ive fished with in my opinion.  theyre a light noodle like pole and being in se iowa our main target is crappie and gills so they work great I did how ever somewhat break the tip on one 2 weeks ago when I was fighting a stout 20" eye it looks like the carbon is frayed and has split out to the tip on the top side but I did a bit of work with the old ladys clear nail polish and it keeps the flap down.  wish scheels still had those rods

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:19 PM »
flashers have been around for like 60 years.

;) I'm 67 and would rather look at my Vex, then down a hole wondering what if anything was down there.

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Fishing must be on the slow side !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.