The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Private Lake Reports  (Read 124049 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Private Lake Reports
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:33 AM »

Photo courtesy of Van Cleaver

Private Lake Reports

Feel free to post lake conditions and fishing reports for private lakes on this thread.  Most private lakes require permission to fish and trespassing laws are strictly enforced.  As a courtesy of property owners and/or community members, if you have permission to fish these lakes, use discretion when posting reports.  If you observe people on a private lake that have no business being there then it’s in your best interest and those that gave permission to you to help enforce their trespassing laws by notifying the proper authorities when a violation occurs.  As a courtesy to those anglers that have permission to fish those lakes, posting ice conditions is very useful, probably much more so than posting fishing reports, especially early and late in the ice season. 

For all who read this, remember, make sure that you have permission to fish a private lake and please do not trespass on private property.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
Re: Private Lake Reports
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Let me be the first to get this thread going just right.  I was out monday on a little private pond here in Monroe County - MikethePike's lake - for all but 2 hours from 930 to 1130.  It was dam cold, and only managed 2 cheesy little pickeral (17.998 inches long), of which, one froze so hard to the ice that he ripped in half while trying to get him unglued to it.  Needless to say, he went to feed the birds.  It seems that the tiny and miniscule private ponds here in Monroe has been a bit hard to giving up panfish, but have given more bass and pickeral than I can recall.  Must be a weather and late ice thing. 

Gruber Lake last wednesday gave up 22 bass and 24 pickeral, including a 7 pound hog and 28 inch pickeral, but for as many tip-ups and as much as we moved around, only one crappie and 8 perch.  Go figure, trying to target panfish all winter long on lakes no one fishes and all you can get are fish you release anyway (sans pcikeral, my dad actually eats them and they need to be decimated in a certain few lakes). 

Yeah, somethin is up with these panfish, hopefully it all settle out by march.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline RigorMortis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:41 PM »
My turn.  New to the posting deal, but a long-time lurker.  First ice adventure for the season.  Fished a ~3 acre pond along the Mason-Dixon Line from 3 to 6 pm today.  Had 6+ inches of clear, solid ice everywhere I drilled (about 15 holes).  Around 5 pm, the ice making machine went into high gear.  Still some of the neatest sounds Mother Nature can produce.  Anyway, stayed near the dam breast in 15+ feet of water and did the single rod jig thing with a small jigging spoon and a dropper attached.  Was targeting crappies and kind of ran the program backwards, starting with a green/glow spoon tipped with a mealworm above a chartreuse micro marabou jig tipped with a 1 inch piece of power trout worm.  That produced nada for 1 1/2 hours.  Moved and changed to a chrome spoon with a bead head nymph dropper, both with mealies along for the ride.  Second hole had a crappie slam the chrome spoon on the first pass and thought I was on to something.  Not.  Continued to move around and changed the dropper one more time to a white micro marabou dart w/ meal piggy.   That yielded an 8 inch bluegill on the dart about 45 minutes before dark, and my day ended with 2 bumps and 2 fish (both set free).  The operative word for today...SLOW.  Hope to get out Sunday if I can complete the Honey Do List for the weekend.  Good luck and be safe. 

Offline RigorMortis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Went back Sunday for round two on the farm pond.  Fished 11 am to 3 pm.  Was encouraged by the cloud cover on my way to the pond, which lasted until about 30 seconds before I cut my first hole.  It was then blue skys and not-so-happy trails for the rest of the trip.  Did a 13 inch largie and a foot-long crappie near bottom in 15 feet of water after about an hour and a half.  The bass hit my chrome jigging spoon tipped with a mealworm.  The crappie nailed a black mini-foo under the spoon.  It was tipped with a half inch piece of natural gulp worm.  Two hours and a dozen holes later, a few clouds moved back in, and two slab 'gills hit the ice five minutes apart while jigging in 10 feet of water.  Had to leave, so I guess you could say that I left them "biting".  I was all over the pond, at all levels of the water column.  Just not much happening.  Friday is the next possibility for time on the ice.  Sounds like it will be on the chilly side with a stiff breeze blowing.  Still had over six inches of clear ice on the pond.  Should be more by the weekend.  Good luck to all, and stay safe.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Hey guys,

Well, spent Monday on Gruber Lake here in Monroe County with a few iceshanty lurkers hoping for as fine a day as we had 2 weeks ago, and it actually got to the point no one wanted to chase flags anymore.  Our expectations were horrible in that they were met within the first 2 hours of the day.  We fished dead center lake in depths anywhere from 2 to 8 feet of water and really, if my ice season ended today, I'd only ponder if I'd catch as many fish next year.  Final totals included 39 pickeral with at least half of them over 20 inches, 28 bass, biggest at around 4 pounds, 19 perch and 7 crappie, all of which were just awesome.  Everything came on tipups with medium shiners as we simply did not have time to jig, and more fish came from 4 feet of water or less.  Guess you can call it the fury before the storm.  I'd say we got our first tipup out before 8 and by 10 we had close to 40 flags, including runs of 6 or 8 in a row, with at one point having 5 flags going off at the same time, ended the day going through 10 dozen shiners.  Private lakes, the only way to go, I'm sorta scared to go back to this pond on friday as a good proportion of the fish either have sore lips or are full (or are going to Florida in March - MIKE, don't you chime in).  I'll let this lake rest this week so that when the wife shows up next week, she'll be able to catch a few fish.  Headin to Wolf on Friday as soon as the snowmobilers pack the trail down, I need my northern.  Enjoy boys, and if anyone wants to hok up on this lake say next week, drop me a PM and make sure to at least bring a 12 pack for the landowner, he figures he can support his lacoholism through selling his lake.

MIKE, get back to me, lets go finish this lake off on Friday, I'll drop Wolf if you come down, but if not, you can dredge that trail and find me hunting down northerns.  It so sucks we didn't make it to the delaware this year, but who knows, this wind may actually blow the snow off the ice and it'll stay safe.  I'll check the ice on the delaware friday night when I head back to Jersey and let you know.  You enjoy boys.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Was back out yesterday on Gruber enjoying a lovely overflow caused by both the creek coming out of Trout Lake and Appenzell creek backing up due to an icejam.  Its lovely fishing in slush.  Anyway, fought a stiff wind and a beautiful sun to one of my worst days on this lake this year.  Did nothing that wasn't working before - 9am-4pm minnows on tipups while walking around jigging the entire lake to the tune of 11 perch, 9 pickeral, and 2 bass.  Did I fish this lake out or something?  Must have been the weather.  None the less, landowner is finding that he can make a sweet profit on his lake, selling daily access passes for a half gallon of hard liquor or case of beer. 

Swung by Mikethe Pikes lake around 5pm to meet up with Icemusky and Pikepopper.  by 6, they had landed a pickeral and perch and missed a few others.  Seems that lake got fished out too, or so they believe.  Boy the weather can screw with these fish, can't it?  Gonna go try Emerald lakes over in Long Pond next Friday, any iceshantiers that are POLISH, drop me a PM, seems this landowner enjoys the company of Polish people who aren't meat hungry but absolutely love running to Erie after a Steelie or two.  Mike, Frank, Juri, you guys of course know you're invited (plus we still got girlything Willow, Monroe, and Canadensis ponds to hit up you realize, let alone Spring and Wolf).  Enjoy guys, keep 'em in the Private Waters.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Well, as some of you may have noticed on the tobyhanna thread, I was also out today on the Emerald Lakes System in hopes of nailing that first ice fish.  I fished today in the canal of Pine tree lake, cut a hole through the 2.5 inches of ice and jiggled a jig for a few minutes before I was called to go to tobyhanna.  After I got home, I needed more, so I ran back up to Emerald lakes and checked the rest of them out.  Little deer lake had 1.5 inches, emerald had about an inch, as did mountaintop and deer lake.  I went back to that first hole i cut that morning on Pine Tree and cut another a little farther out in 6 feet of water and fished for maybe 10 minutes more with a jigging rap but to no avail.  The wind had me so concerned about my fingertips that even if I did have a bump, never felt it.  None the less, little deer will be ready tomorrow with emerald and deer probably good by friday and mountaintop will be set come the weekend.

I'll be setting up flags tomorrow if anyone cares to join me, saying that we're not dealing with 40mph winds.  I need a pic of that first fish of the season.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to trade a lake, say my 5 lake crappie factory complex for say a lake with pig perch and walleye, let me know (I hate crappie and bass).  I figure this thread can be used to trade access from one private lake to the next.  Enjoy everyone.

Dr. JM

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Well ladies and gentleman, if you missed it today, you missed one beautiful day on the ice.  40 degrees, calm, occasional sun, absolutely awesome.  My ventures took me to Gruber lake for the first time this year down here in Appenzell.  Seems the lakes in the lower elevations are safe as well.  Got out on 4.5 inches of ice at around 1030 this morning.  Only bought a dozen minnow since I was simply exploring what survived this dredded hot dry summer and now I'm kicking myself for not buying 4 dozen.  Needless to say, I was wrapping up around noon after having gone through my dozen shiners to the tune of 4 nice largemouths and 4 legal pickeral.  The wife wound up getting the pig for the day, a nice 3.5 pound largemouth, her first ever fish through the ice and absolutely loving it (thought jigging was boring and the ice cracking nearly made her wet herself)  Lost the other 4 minnows to flags that were never landed.  Was fishing over 6 feet of water dead center in the lake.  Jigging a marmooshka produced one light tap and thats all.  Oh well, hope you all chase down a few flags this weekend, I'm sore, I aint fit for this  anymore.  Enjoy guys, and like I've said before, someone want to trade one private lake for the next, drop me a PM, I got more than enough crappies to go around.

Dr. JM

My pigs for the dday

The combobulation

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:53 AM »
We took a run at Stillwater Lake (near Mt. Pocono) first thing this morning... ice was in bad shape.  :( We checked it in 3 places and it ranged from skim coat/1.5 to 3+ inches of milky ice, thinning the further our official tester (thanks Gary) ventured from  shore. I was crashing through along the shoreline and at first we thought that we just needed to get out to the "cake" but it wasn't the case. Also a wet fissure traversing the lake didn't exactly fill us with confidence.

My buddy and I bagged it but VC was with us and was going to push on and have a look at Promised Land... hopefully he had better luck there.

Man it was tough to turn back after getting so geeked up about first ice all week.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I'm so sorry dizzy, would have sworn stillwater would have been safe.  I know the big lakes everywhere are still iffy, but considering how safe toby and emeralds are, I would have put money on stillwater being safe.  Sorry to hear it man, hope your ventures find you on the ice somewhere else.

Dr. JM

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:38 AM »
I'm so sorry dizzy, would have sworn stillwater would have been safe.  I know the big lakes everywhere are still iffy, but considering how safe toby and emeralds are, I would have put money on stillwater being safe.  Sorry to hear it man, hope your ventures find you on the ice somewhere else.

Dr. JM

We were pretty shocked to be honest… normal routine is that if there are guys fishing Toby on ANY kind of ice, then we can just go up and walk right out on Stillwater with no problems. We were wondering if maybe the winds broke the fresh ice up at some point and it was in the process of re-freezing… because the thickness was highly variable.

I was just happy to see that VC got out on Promised Land… he had a much longer haul than by buddy and I did.

Offline iceman61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:47 PM »
4 inches of ice hear in the pocono woodland lakes (milford) behind the clubhouse but i'll wait until after this week before i venture out

Offline Natural Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:39 AM »
ever hear of echo lake?? well its only the best private lake to fish in bangor pa. in the summer spring and fall its nonstop lg mouth bassin. and in the winter its bass perch and crappie. there are no annoying pickerel in this lake, which is great. right now the ice is 3 in thick but theyre lowering the water level to repair the dam. so its about 5 feet low. the lake is only 12feet deep so all the fish are jus chillin by the dam in about 7 feet of water. great fishing.

Offline Natural Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:54 AM »
ive got a few more lakes and ponds in bangor, but theyre off the beaten path. if youve got a truck 4 wheel drive and you dont mind a few scratches on your paint i can show anyone my favorite hotspot. theyres power lines that run over the mountain from stroudsburg to bangor and i guess back in the day when they were built they created these makeshift roads. scattered throughout the area are small naturally spring fed ponds. fairly deep as well (the one is around 20 feet deep). my favorite is about a 5 minute ride from minsi lake. its a place dubbed twin ponds because there are 2 ponds right next to each other separated by a 10 foot strip of land. go to google maps and get the sattelite imagery view of minsi the look about 2 miles ne of the lake. zoom in and youll see in the middle of the woods 2 ponds just waiting to be explored.

Offline Natural Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:00 AM »

Offline nybigeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:35 PM »
We were pretty shocked to be honest… normal routine is that if there are guys fishing Toby on ANY kind of ice, then we can just go up and walk right out on Stillwater with no problems. We were wondering if maybe the winds broke the fresh ice up at some point and it was in the process of re-freezing… because the thickness was highly variable.

I was just happy to see that VC got out on Promised Land… he had a much longer haul than by buddy and I did.

Since that is more or less a flood control project.  A dammed up creek it probably didn't freeze due to the run off from all the rain that has been mixed in the last few weeks.
nybe
Never Leave to find Fish!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2007, 02:54 PM »
WEll guys, this will be my last report before the new year since my plane takes off tomorrow at 3pm.  I'll send ice fishing reports from Europe as we're planning on hitting up some awesome lakes in the southern mountains with monster bream, pike, 100 pound wels and will try and beat my personal best of A 3.5 pound perch.  God, what I would give to get a picture of a 5 pounder - that would win the ice tourney, wouldn't it.  Anyway, wish everyone the best this holiday season.

As for my report - since I was pressed for time and with the wind howling, got to fish Gruber lake today from 11 till 1.  4.5 inches of ice and building.  I just cut about 20 holes, varying depths from 3-6 feet and round robinned it.  Started with a marmooshka and landed an 18 inch pickeral out of hole #3.  At around hole #15, marmooshka ecame a piercing for some wonderful pickeral.  I tied on a flo green jigging rap finished my first round and got back to hole #4 where another cookie cutter pickeral at 18 came throu the hole.  Made it the next hole and donated my next lure to another pickeral at the hole.  2 landed, 2 lost in 2 hours, I'll take it.  Ran to Cabelas to pick up christmas gifts and bought me another marmooshka and jigging rap.  We're gonna make swiss chees from this lake the weekend I get back, so hoping to show some nice pictures and give a much more enthusiastic report, But right now I have got to go repair a bleeding finger, enjoy guys and merry Christmas

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Since that is more or less a flood control project.  A dammed up creek it probably didn't freeze due to the run off from all the rain that has been mixed in the last few weeks.
nybe

Stillwater was actually constructed for the purpose of ice harvesting (believe it or not)... but I understand what you're saying. Inflows mixed with high winds (top of the world kind of lake) was probably the undoing of the ice there.

Offline nybigeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Stillwater was actually constructed for the purpose of ice harvesting (believe it or not)... but I understand what you're saying. Inflows mixed with high winds (top of the world kind of lake) was probably the undoing of the ice there.

That is interesting I drove it once. It sure fooled me. It looks just like a drawn down flood control project. Is the little B7T still up in town?
nybe
Never Leave to find Fish!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Well, I've never been one to believe there is no safe ice in the poconos in January, so I decided to go ice fishing yesterday on Mountaintop Lake in Long Pond.  5 inches of solid ice up to 50 feet out with it wavering around 3 dead center lake, but solid black all around.  6 of us including mike the pike and my wife (an two poloks who forgot the food but brought plenty of alcohol that lit up when you touched it with a spark).  we set up 30 tips and ran through 7 dozen shiners to the tune of 20 legal pickeral from 18-22, 4 perch from 9-12, and 2 bass with one topping the 6 pound mark and 20.5 inches officially.  Enjoy guys, gonna try and hit Gruber tomorrow if possible, and remember, the more you people believe the ice is unsafe, the more fantastic days I spend on lakes I have all to myself.  I'll post some pics when I get out of the hospital tonite (photobucket is considered invalid content in this place, gees).

Dr. JM

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Pics from Sunday, 1/13 on mountaintop lake

6 pounds 20.5 inches

the days catch 2 hours before we finished

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM »
First off...I'm jealous!  (as I've been of you guys in NE PA all season)

Secondly, I can't speak for the general populace of PA ice fishermen that are on the shanty, but I certainly believe you guys have had 'safe' ice for a very long time up there.  The problem is I can't afford to travel 5+ hours to be able to enjoy a day like what you had on mountain top recently.  Looked like a lot of fun...stay on top and stay safe.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:47 PM »
no worries simon, I understand you, i wouldn't drive 5 hours for pickeral or bass either and I do believe that the only ice in this state is found in the handful of counties north of rte 80 and east of rte 15.  I'm sure there are a few outside those bounds, but really, the majority is in that zone so I'm sure everyone is chomping at that bit waitin and prayin, but if your in that zone, there's plenty of ice to be had.

Dr. Jm

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:29 PM »
no worries simon, I understand you, i wouldn't drive 5 hours for pickeral or bass either and I do believe that the only ice in this state is found in the handful of counties north of rte 80 and east of rte 15.  I'm sure there are a few outside those bounds, but really, the majority is in that zone so I'm sure everyone is chomping at that bit waitin and prayin, but if your in that zone, there's plenty of ice to be had.

Dr. Jm

Petey boy...we drove 5+ hours away from ice and we're making you jealous with every phone call  ;D Time to head out and look for another limit in under an hour....these fish are tough on 2.7lb tippet though

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Well I've been out plenty since my return from Europe just have had no time to post any good reports.  All of last saturday, sunday morning, and monday morning foud me at Mountaintop lake to the tune of 104 pickeral, 17 bass including a 7 poud behemouth, 3 crappie and 9 perch.  Call it good, call it bad, call it a nuisance but I'm learning something new - there are still lakes in PA that the # of angler days is far less that the number of days in a year.  I thought that was impossible, but the Emerald lakes compex stirred my suspicion.

Anyway, Yesterday I hit up Gruber lake since the ice finally hit that beautiful 6-8 inch mark.  My, the wife and my buddy decided to see what sort of legends is lurking in this lake so we tried to get our 4 tip-ups out, well, for me it never happened, I got two out, he finally got 4 after about an hour, the wife just jigged away.  Why, well, we had three fish on the ice in 3 minutes, and that became the tale of the story, the tip-ups were a nuisance, a flag averaged every three minutes with the wife catching more fish while we sat there trying to rig the dead, ripped up minnow back on the hook.  lets put it this way, we ran through 3 dozen shiners in 100 minutes, I quit while my buddy ran back to the bait store and ran through 4 more dozen in the last 3 hours of the day.  We got on the ice at 9am, I was home eating breakfast at 1045 with 22 perch and 2 pickeral to my name (the wife impressed me today hauling a wonderful 24 incher on 2 pound test line while jigging), released another 9 pickeral, 2 bass and countless other perch, probably close to 50 (I decided after perch #15 or so, I'm only gonna keep 12 inchers+).  It got to the point jigging for perch that I was using a bare jig andhauling them up.  I had one 12 inch perch chase my jig up through the hole, it was that ridiculous.  What was even more ridiculous was having to bend over with the camera in my pocket and hearing it crack as it hit the ice.  Well, time to run back to walmart, buy a new one, put the broken one back in the box and return it(bouth it 35 days ago, don't know if I can still return it). 

Haven't had a day like this in a long time (since the perch days of wolf swamp back in the nineties).  My buddy stayed to get his limit of perch (that mean fifty) plus his limit of pickeral, but released a healty 6 pound bass (got to get his pictures).  What I was amazed with was that not one single crappie - I couldn't believe it, with how good the bite was and not one dang crappie.  Oh well, I'll let the pictures talk now.....

Its amazing, the kid who lives on this lake and gives me permission flat out told me, no one has fished this lake since we were last here last year (and the one time I was here back in Decemebr with the wife).  no one who lives on the lake is a fisherman thus the lake is virgin.  These are the kind of lakes we need, virgin lakes.  I doubt I'm ever gonna fish another public lake again.  Enjoy guys, best of luck out there.

Dr. JM

Dizzy, Fishin fool, whenever you guys are ready, weekday preferably.

the far shot with a nice 13 incher in hand

Its time for my close up mr deville jigging in 4 feet of water

the wife looking like a temptress with her hog and yet another flag

1 hour and 30 minutes into the day

Offline pikedigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2008, 05:27 PM »

The private community i live in pike county held an ice fishing derby today, around 40 people on the lake fishing, very, very, slow........... ....   managed 3 perch and 2 small bass in 5 hours.... 10 tip-ups out and did some jigging... Same thing with everybody else around us.......  Kids had fun though....

We have a foot of solid ice now and 2 to 3 inches of packed snow/ice.....

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Looks like 2008 may be the last year for Stillwater Lake... the DEP has condemned the dam and declared that the Boy Scout Council has to pay for the repairs or the dam will be removed and the lake drained. About half of the lake is private property belonging to the Stillwater Estates, but since the dam is located on the Boy Scout's half of the property, they are being made responsible for the repairs.

The repair is estimated at $3,000,000... and obviously the Boy Scout Council does not have that kind of money. Apparently the state of Pennsylvania had previously allocated $2,500,000 for repair of this structure, but the funds weren't released in time (the deadline for release was September 2007). The Boy Scouts have a letter-writing campaign going on this month and their goal is to flood Harrisburg with 10,000 letters. They have said that if the state will not (or cannot) release the funds, they will have no choice but to drain the lake and close Camp Minsi for good. Approximately 3000 scouts a year spend time at this year-around camp facility.

In what I'm sure is a directly-related story... there are already private developers ready to step in and buy the Scout property as soon as they are forced to fold up shop!  >:(

Gee, what a surprise... I bet dollars to donuts this developer will find the money to repair the dam as we all know lakefront property is worth a heck of a lot more than swampfront property.  >:( >:(

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2008, 11:15 PM »
Ladies and gentleman, I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, welcome to ice season, 2008-2009, officially having started 11/22/08 (though I didn't get out until today, 11/23, but I'll go by mikethepike's first day for the start), the earliest I have been on the ice in northeast PA ever.

Got out for my first day on the ice on Pine Tree Lake.  Me and mike started right off the boat launch in 4 feet of water and ran around chasing flags only to figure out after having lost the first dizen flags we were surrounded by perch.  But even with our jigging efforts, we seemingly only landed two.  For a first day on the ice, me and mike were just shaking down gear.  A tid breezy but a solid 2.5-3 inches of ice all aound where thelake had been frozen since friday.  All the open water on friday seemingly flash froze over night so you had to keep your eyes open for the thin ice line (only 1 inch of ice across the line).

Finished out the day on Mountaintop lake at the boat launch with another half dozen flags all dropped.  Lakes are ready to go boys, Woehrles actually sold out of bait today from all the fools headin to Toby and Prmoised land I suspect, so good luck out there, see you on the water somewhere.

Dr. JM

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Here's some pics from today on Northern Emerald Lake. It was tough to find bait especially considering Cabela's was cleaned out of everything but fatheads but the fishing was still decent and the ice is up to 3.5 inches.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2008, 07:00 PM »
i cant belive how close you guys are standing together with the bass on ice that was up to 3.5 inches. 

I might try drilling a few holes if i get a bear in the next two days but if not i wont be able to go until turkey day afternoon at the earliest. 

I know of atleast two lakes that had minimum 2.5 on saturday around 1:00 in the afternoon. 

If i get out it will be a personal best earliest ice time

JM

Oh and nice fish

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.