Author Topic: Ice out fishing  (Read 3543 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice out fishing
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:27 AM »
I'd be happy to take ya, anytime.

I'm gonna take you up on that... Thanks
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Roccus, you probably knew or knew of Al Belavich (Al’s Rod and Gun)
Lawrence mass. He was our “go to” store back in the day for anything hunting and fishing. I remember he had the “record” striped on his back wall. Was never sure if that was on rod and reel or otherwise as he was a diver. I stlll have a Refrigiwear cold weather suit today that I purchased from him in the 60’s that I still use today!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Roccus, you probably knew or knew of Al Belavich (Al’s Rod and Gun)
Lawrence mass. He was our “go to” store back in the day for anything hunting and fishing. I remember he had the “record” striped on his back wall. Was never sure if that was on rod and reel or otherwise as he was a diver. I stlll have a Refrigiwear cold weather suit today that I purchased from him in the 60’s that I still use today!
Oh yea, AL was a crazy cat, that shop was a disaster but he knew where everything was, that was the record codfish. Not striped bass,  it was caught out at the Isle of shoals. . His Dog never liked me...I used to trade home made upperman. Style jigs that I poured myself for misc. Tackle, I still have that ancient mold, I bought from him in 1970.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:11 AM »
"Quote" You don't want to try and one up striper pictures with me.. I only put that picture up to have a little fun with my friend 800 stealth

Joe, not intended to one up you at all. I know your track record with the striped ghosts and I cannot compete at all! I have been rooting for you to crest that goal of yours since I have known you.

Now big fluke is a whole other story and that's my summer passion!

Just add water.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:21 AM »
 Fatty right there!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:31 AM »
For what it's worth... I'm all for a friendly picture contest of salt water stud pics.... I just can't compete lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:44 AM »
For what it's worth... I'm all for a friendly picture contest of salt water stud pics.... I just can't compete lol

Same here, but I love the pics!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:18 AM »

LOL!

Someone might have to start a new topic for that one but I am definitely not submitting any Striped bass. I am pretty sure I know who that species goes to.
Just add water.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Oh yea, AL was a crazy cat, that shop was a disaster but he knew where everything was, that was the record codfish. Not striped bass,  it was caught out at the Isle of shoals. . His Dog never liked me...I used to trade home made upperman. Style jigs that I poured myself for misc. Tackle, I still have that ancient mold, I bought from him in 1970.

Yes! you're correct..it was a cod now that you mention it! He was a crazy cat!  ;D Toward the end there his shop always smelled of dog piss and crap...not a great way to sell merchandise!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:09 AM »
Yes! you're correct..it was a cod now that you mention it! He was a crazy cat!  ;D Toward the end there his shop always smelled of dog piss and crap...not a great way to sell merchandise!

He never was the same after he got convicted of tax evasion and went to jail...

He was good to me, I remember once I broke an eagle claw rod by closing a door on it,I didn't have the money to replace it, he gave me another and said "pay me when you can Kid" other than me hanging around the store, he didn't know me from a hole in the wall... good guy, just "out there".. I think latter on, what money he did make was all from the dive shop...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:16 AM »
He never was the same after he got convicted of tax evasion and went to jail...

He was good to me, I remember once I broke an eagle claw rod by closing a door on it,I didn't have the money to replace it, he gave me another and said "pay me when you can Kid" other than me hanging around the store, he didn't know me from a hole in the wall... good guy, just "out there".. I think latter on, what money he did make was all from the dive shop...
Yup...that describes him well. Al had a good heart.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Im from Methuen originally and know that area too, where was that shop? Just curious.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:35 PM »
This is more my speed lol

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:59 PM »
This is more my speed lol

LMAO.. you ain't fooling me, I know better :tipup:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Im from Methuen originally and know that area too, where was that shop? Just curious.

Broadway, Lawrence maybe a mile south of the Methuen line thereabouts.
Used to be a Jack-in the-box kind of across the street. Right about where Cross St crosses Broadway.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:23 PM »
I’ll still take my smallies ..my first striper trip I caught a 41 lber which length wise I have no clue..haven’t been back since..I guess it’s relative when it comes to line strength and rod weight but it was fun but I still prefer the freshwater..I want ice fishing to end but when it’s over I miss the get together s with the crew each Saturday ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:32 PM »

I’ll be hitting the streams and targeting wild trout up north
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:00 PM »
I’m with Joe!  ;D

You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Ahhhh.. start to think about going salt water, haddock off shore to fill the freezer, stripers and then tuna. Would like to try clamming this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.