Author Topic: Ice out fishing  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice out fishing
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Where does everyone like to fish come ice out? Species and techniques? I know I do well with big bass just casting shoreline with crankbaits. Curious and bored because the phones aren't ringing at work so I'm sitting here on mine.

Offline wabashaw_plumbing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice out fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:21 AM »
1. Get yourself one of those swimming pool toy inner tubes. Kids size.
2. Tie a looooong rope to it. Tie one end to your beer cooler.
3. Put your tip up in the inner tube.
4. Bring this contraption to the edge of the ice.
5. Push.
6. When you get a flag, pull.
7. Repeat.

Pro-tip: if you see a warden, cut the rope.
Keep ‘em wet

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:29 AM »
1. Get yourself one of those swimming pool toy inner tubes. Kids size.
2. Tie a looooong rope to it. Tie one end to your beer cooler.
3. Put your tip up in the inner tube.
4. Bring this contraption to the edge of the ice.
5. Push.
6. When you get a flag, pull.
7. Repeat.

Pro-tip: if you see a warden, cut the rope.

Thanks man I got one of those tubes on order. Next day air

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:31 AM »
 I use the break between hard water and spring fishing to catch up on "honey do's" and getting the garden growing,some years I do a little Salmon trolling on winni, I'll make a few ground fish trips to fill the freezer, dig a few clams if the flats are open, but once the wind becomes South west and the water warms, I spend my Nights striped bass fishing,
In May, when the fish first arrive, I toss jigs and soft plastics like paddle tails and sluggos,I'll also do some fly fishing for them as well, later in may when the mackerel arrive, I live line mackerel for the larger fish that are showing up, by late may I've now switched to total  night time mode, I'll occasionally fish during the day with live mackerel but mostly I fish nights, I'll use a variety of plugs ( which I make myself) and large soft plastics, by mid June, when the trophy fish show up, I switch to live eels, until this time, most of the action has been inside the estuary, now, I may move outside to the beaches and coastal rock piles, this trend will continue until mid October, at this time the fly rod once again can be a viable weapon, because the flies imitate the shad and herring drops the fish are gorging on for their migration , by the end of October   the season winds down and I once again start thinking about walking on water.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I plank it as long as I possibly can, sometimes into the 3rd week of April. Then it's springtime river fishing.
Once May hits, Turkey season is ON...
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Winni trolling for salmon, bows, and lakers. I think it’s my favorite kind of fishing. Light lines, lots of fly poles, and usually trolling right along shore. The water is also cold so the fish tend to release better, and usually put up a good fight.

I also may be doing a redfish trip this spring. My friends are tying to get me to go, and supposedly they are delicious.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:20 AM »
I hit the rivers as soon as I can get a boat trailer in... very little snow this year will make things easy. The St. Lawrence in NY will be crawling with smallies anytime now and has been my spring go to for the past couple years. Your welcome to join me Roccus lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I hit the rivers as soon as I can get a boat trailer in... very little snow this year will make things easy. The St. Lawrence in NY will be crawling with smallies anytime now and has been my spring go to for the past couple years. Your welcome to join me Roccus lol
LMAO

LOL, alot of fun on a fly rod..

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Blast on a fly for sure... we chase em with ultralight gear, 3 pound line and tiny crankbaits... makes for some great battles.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I get right in the boat and usually do not miss a weekend...ill target bass down south with rattle traps, spinnerbaits with Colorado blades, swimbaits, chatterbaits, and silver buddies...once the lakes region opens up its pure silver buddy fishing for a few weeks for bass...should have the nitro out in two weeks down south I would think
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:07 AM »
I get right in the boat and usually do not miss a weekend...ill target bass down south with rattle traps, spinnerbaits with Colorado blades, swimbaits, chatterbaits, and silver buddies...once the lakes region opens up its pure silver buddy fishing for a few weeks for bass...should have the nitro out in two weeks down south I would think

Silver buddies....ok I need to use then. I generally use xcalibur crank baits and "bomber" brand crankbaits. I need to xpand...spring bass fishing is great

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Tough to be a silver buddy for simple and effective... I'm going to try more vertical jigging this summer, the last couple winters have taught me a ton on my jigging game.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Tough to be a silver buddy for simple and effective... I'm going to try more vertical jigging this summer, the last couple winters have taught me a ton on my jigging game.
i have finally figured out the silver buddy..Steve I’ll send you some info on them for weight and hook size
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:17 PM »
still in ice mode, having DT's knowing itll be over before long. Plenty of ice left out there
Salmonemia

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:54 PM »
i try to fish year-round....

getting towards the time of year where I have to decide btw driving south for open water or driving north for thicker ice.  (i don't like to be the 1st 1 or last 1 out on the ice - just my preference).  if it's cold, i'll head north.  if it's warm, i'll head south.  for now, it's still ice time. anyway, shallow ponds in SE Mass will be a month or more ahead of my area (So. NH) by the end of March, so it's usually well worth the drive for me for more active fish.  depending on the forecast, i'll either target stocked trout, panfish or bass/picks.  Overcast + wind = bass + picks.  Sunny + calm = trout + panfish.  If weather is a mixed bag, I might do both or hop from pond to pond.

generally fish FW until the LM start spawning & then switch gears and go for the salt.  1st arrivals are usually schoolies, big scup + tog.  in a good year, bluefish by mother's day.  black sea bass should open around May 19th-ish?  bigger stripers right after into memorial day + 1st week of june.  depending on water temps, winter flounder start heating up on the northshore.  (still searching for the elusive northshore tog + oversized cunner).  most FW bass will be off beds by mid-June & I'll target them more.  at this point, i have so many options that i don't know what to do with myself (a good problem) and it usually comes down to time availability + weather forecast.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:56 PM »
i try to fish year-round....

getting towards the time of year where I have to decide btw driving south for open water or driving north for thicker ice.  (i don't like to be the 1st 1 or last 1 out on the ice - just my preference).  if it's cold, i'll head north.  if it's warm, i'll head south.  for now, it's still ice time. anyway, shallow ponds in SE Mass will be a month or more ahead of my area (So. NH) by the end of March, so it's usually well worth the drive for me for more active fish.  depending on the forecast, i'll either target stocked trout, panfish or bass/picks.  Overcast + wind = bass + picks.  Sunny + calm = trout + panfish.  If weather is a mixed bag, I might do both or hop from pond to pond.

generally fish FW until the LM start spawning & then switch gears and go for the salt.  1st arrivals are usually schoolies, big scup + tog.  in a good year, bluefish by mother's day.  black sea bass should open around May 19th-ish?  bigger stripers right after into memorial day + 1st week of june.  depending on water temps, winter flounder start heating up on the northshore.  (still searching for the elusive northshore tog + oversized cunner).  most FW bass will be off beds by mid-June & I'll target them more.  at this point, i have so many options that i don't know what to do with myself (a good problem) and it usually comes down to time availability + weather forecast.

Southern end of Plum Island, Emerson rocks holds decent numbers of white chins.. but you didn't hear it from me ;D

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Been doing a 4/5 day trout/salmon troll up on Rangely with a couple pals for years. Mid May typically. That’s the first fishing after ice out for me usually. Spectacular, and it’s like a rite of spring for us. This will be the first spring in a looooong time we can’t make it work for various scheduling and conflict of interest reasons. In lieu, we’re looking at an abbreviated spring troll on winni. Thing is, it’s gotta be the weekend of April 20/21. So, I guess i’m Hoping for a lot of rain in the near future! Might be trolling around ice bergs. Salmonoids will be the target.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Walleye will be running the CT river soon here in NH  ;) until then, late season Lakers I'm all about as they stage up on pre-spawn smelt. I try to dish out sore fish lips all year round!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Southern end of Plum Island, Emerson rocks holds decent numbers of white chins.. but you didn't hear it from me ;D

Thx!   ;)

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:32 PM »
i have finally figured out the silver buddy..Steve I’ll send you some info on them for weight and hook size

Ok thanks jibbs I like to try and get on big bass as soon as there's open water

Offline hjcrawfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:19 PM »
As I have for nearly 60 years, at iceout will be chasing the salmon in Wolfeboro Bay, with streamer flies. Not what it was back in the day, but always enjoyable. The it will be off to Moosehead for the first time in forty years.

Can not beat salmon and trout when they are on top.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:05 PM »
As I have for nearly 60 years, at iceout will be chasing the salmon in Wolfeboro Bay, with streamer flies. Not what it was back in the day, but always enjoyable. The it will be off to Moosehead for the first time in forty years.

Can not beat salmon and trout when they are on top.

I don't stop except to hunt.  Usually Lake O for browns in April, then Winni,  Stripers  and I'm thinkin Moosehead myself they have been killing it up there.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:27 PM »
not ready.....

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:32 PM »
not ready.....
2nd that motion.  Just getting started.   ;D
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:07 AM »

You chase small mouths, this is what I pursue

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:12 AM »

Hahaha! I love them "Smallmouths" too Joe!

Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Hahaha! I love them "Smallmouths" too Joe!

You don't want to try and one up striper pictures with me.. I only put that picture up to have a little fun with my friend 800 stealth

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Pfffttt... looks like a lot of work lifting those big ass fish...

But seriously, that's a tank joe. I need to get a deep v boat to chase stuff like that... I've had my nitro out on the salt a few times, it's fun when the water is glass but any weather gets hairy when your transom is only a foot above the water. I already lost the boat once on umbagog taking 3 foot rollers over the transom, luckily in 5 foot of water.
My neighbor has a 19 foot Grady white that he never uses, everytime I ask about selling it he says he uses it too much lol

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:29 AM »

Yes sir!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Pfffttt... looks like a lot of work lifting those big ass fish...

But seriously, that's a tank joe. I need to get a deep v boat to chase stuff like that... I've had my nitro out on the salt a few times, it's fun when the water is glass but any weather gets hairy when your transom is only a foot above the water. I already lost the boat once on umbagog taking 3 foot rollers over the transom, luckily in 5 foot of water.
My neighbor has a 19 foot Grady white that he never uses, everytime I ask about selling it he says he uses it too much lol

I'd be happy to take ya, anytime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.