Author Topic: Fish camera  (Read 1999 times)

Offline t.dan

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish camera
« on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Just wondering if many people use underwater cameras? I used one today and thought it was really cool, seeing fish swim by while jigging.
Any recommendations on models or brands they like?
Thanks

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fish camera
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:55 AM »
I do, maybe it’s cheating but I’ve seen fish come in and look at the bait and take off. Without the camera you’d never know if you had fish interested in what you’re offering. I’ve caught more fish this year with the camera than any other just observing how they act to my jig/bait. Best investment ever!
Life is good!

Offline t.dan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:28 AM »
What brand do you have?

sunniewally

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:35 AM »
Depends on the lake and visibility. I use mine all the time on the lake I fish for panfish. Its just a blast to watch them. See how they react to different presentations, and how some smaller fish seem be be always  around and how some bigger ones move thru and usually on the bite. Its more fun watching the fish then catching. Seeing northerns, muskys or bass  coming thru. A regular soap opera at times. Definitely helps to catch fish.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Marcum
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:58 AM »
We have 2 Marcum  VS825SD units which were top line then.
Game changers for sure. Like someone already said a blast watching what’s going on down there. I accidentally nicked the cables on mine chipping them out of the hole on a very cold day and had to send one back to Marcum for repair. Very expensive so take care not to damage your cables! The other one I spliced the wires myself and it is working but now the power switch is giving me problems. I’m expecting a new switch circuit board from UPS today. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it back to 100%

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:23 AM »
I have been researching them and plan on having one before next season. Several ponds I fish have brownish water, tannin stain I believe. Will that be a big problem for viewing.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:28 AM »
I’m running the Marcum pan-cam. Hooks wirelessly to your smart phone with full 360 degree viewing at the touch of a button, I also have an AUX cable to run on the big screen in the shack.
Life is good!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I’m running the Marcum pan-cam. Hooks wirelessly to your smart phone with full 360 degree viewing at the touch of a button, I also have an AUX cable to run on the big screen in the shack.

Does the Pan-Cam have a built in panner? In hindsight, I would have preferred something one piece rather than having to run a camera and a separate panner...the panner is a bit weak and gets frozen in easily.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Does the Pan-Cam have a built in panner? In hindsight, I would have preferred something one piece rather than having to run a camera and a separate panner...the panner is a bit weak and gets frozen in easily.

It sure does, all sealed from the elements! I use to have the same panner you do now, what a huge POS that thing was! Marcum should be ashamed of themselves for that thing.
Life is good!

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:58 PM »
My son purchased the Aqua View 5", I believe they also make a 7" screen as well. Models come with either a 60' cord or 100'. The clarity is amazing when being used in a shelter or pop-up but when used directly on the ice the glare can be difficult on a sunny day. You can easily rotate the camera around simply by moving the cord. The upgraded models also come with a record feature, death and water temp I believe. Both have an infra-red light feature that helps with dark water, you can definitely see lots of structure and see fish approaching your lure. Also, if fully charged the battery should last all day.

We watched all kinds of fish come right up to the camera and check it out. Watching a fish bite and knowing the species and size not to mention what lures they are hitting on or avoiding is a game changer - it really is a lot of fun. His cost about $350.00.

Good luck and have fun - we sure do using it.

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:01 PM »
LOL - The comment should have read as Depth - not death...:) 

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Bought an Aqua-vu Revolution 5 this year. Love this camera, especially the cord wind up spool. Plus the whole deal fits into a large cargo type pocket. Great scouting tool for sure. Great image quality.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Do you think a camera is better than a flasher?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:22 PM »

I sure as hell don’t, if you’re asking?  ;D
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:30 PM »

I don't think either are better than the other. They both have a time a place when the work better than the other. Smaller camera's such as the Aqua-vu Micro II like I have are good for scouting sort of speak. Just drop it down, check the area out and see what's down there such has rocks, weeds and what type of bottom it is and to see what type of fish you are marking on the flasher.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:45 PM »

I have both - and I always bring my fish finder / flasher - and only use/bring the camera when I know the water clarity is good and when I am using a shelter - since the screen can be difficult to see well in the bright sun.

If I could only have one - it would be the flasher/fish finder for sure.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Do they still have trouble in tannin stained water?

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:30 PM »

Both are separate tools.  On known fishing grounds, a flasher is great to hole hop looking for fish.  No long wire to spool back up, just grab and go.  When I am in unknown waters, I like to check the bottom out with the camera and to fine tune the action while jigging.  It's great to see how many near hits  I had as well.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:30 PM »

Both are separate tools.  On known fishing grounds, a flasher is great to hole hop looking for fish.  No long wire to spool back up, just grab and go.  When I am in unknown waters, I like to check the bottom out with the camera and to fine tune the action while jigging.  It's great to see how many near hits  I had as well.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:07 AM »
I agree.. I use both for different purposes. Flasher/Fish finder for jigging and going hole to hole... but camera for the shack and for honing in on what's biting and how they want the jig that particular day. The camera is also a must for checking the bottom and surrounding area before I decide where the hard side is going to be for the long term. Before I used the camera, one year I put it hut out and did all the trouble of anchoring it down etc. I got virtually nothing jigging and a few weeks later, I put the camera down there only to find I was on a big boulder and no way I was going to get anything out of that spot.... and have done it again to find just pure sandy bottom with a few leaves and absolutely zero structure... yet on the Navionics, the spot looked great with a contour ... that was clearly is marked ... so, both can be very helpful.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:34 PM »
When using my Aqua Vu Revolution 5 I always bring a spare thin coat especially on sunny days when I'm scouting around the lake with the camera I just drape the coat over my head and that kills the glare just fine, I mainly use my camera for scouting bottom and structure there are a few ponds I have fished that dont have the best water quality and the camera still seems to work fine for scouting purposes. I took a 5 gal bucket and cut a hole in the bottom big enough for the camera to fit through and a Styrofoam ball not to fall through and cut a slit halfway through the ball and once your at the depth you want you can slide the camera cord through the slit and use the ball to position this works very well for me when using the camera to either watch a trap or jig

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:58 PM »
When using my Aqua Vu Revolution 5 I always bring a spare thin coat especially on sunny days when I'm scouting around the lake with the camera I just drape the coat over my head and that kills the glare just fine, I mainly use my camera for scouting bottom and structure there are a few ponds I have fished that dont have the best water quality and the camera still seems to work fine for scouting purposes. I took a 5 gal bucket and cut a hole in the bottom big enough for the camera to fit through and a Styrofoam ball not to fall through and cut a slit halfway through the ball and once your at the depth you want you can slide the camera cord through the slit and use the ball to position this works very well for me when using the camera to either watch a trap or jig

Can you please post a picture of this?
Just add water.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Sorry about the lighting in the basement

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:29 PM »
I use both for different purposes. Flasher/Fish finder for jigging and going hole to hole... but camera for the shack and for honing in on what's biting and how they want the jig that particular day. The camera is also a must for checking the bottom and surrounding area before I decide where the hard side is going to be for the long term. Before I used the camera, one year I put it hut out and did all the trouble of anchoring it down etc. I got virtually nothing jigging and a few weeks later, I put the camera down there only to find I was on a big boulder and no way I was going to get anything out of that spot.... and have done it again to find just pure sandy bottom with a few leaves and absolutely zero structure... yet on the Navionics, the spot looked great with a contour ... that was clearly is marked ... so, both can be very helpful.

Spot on.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Gotta have both. But I'm more bummed out when the batteries run out on my flasher than the camera.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.