Author Topic: Sienna Size for Walleye  (Read 3824 times)

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
Sienna Size for Walleye
« on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:04 PM »
I have either a 500 or 1000 to get spooled for a Walleye setup. Either one be a better idea than the other and why? Using 8lb braid and I'll use a fluoro leader. I have a 1000 already spooled and can use either one as a dead stick/bobber rod, and the other for jigging.

Thanks!

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sienna Size for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2019, 08:41 AM »
I use the 1000 for walleye and the 500 for perch/panfish.  I feel the 500 may be a bit undersized at times for walleyes.  The 1000 just feels better while working walleye rods and lures.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Doubt you would notice much difference using either one, but I would go with the 1000. Braid pretty well eliminates line coiling anyway but I stay away from any small reels for that reason.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I use the 500. It holds a full 50yd spool of 8lb ice braid with ease. Siennas are heavy, I wouldn't use the 1000. I use the 1000's for open water fishing quite a bit.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:23 PM »
I use the 500. It holds a full 50yd spool of 8lb ice braid with ease. Siennas are heavy, I wouldn't use the 1000. I use the 1000's for open water fishing quite a bit.

Heavy?
500 is 6.3oz
1000 is 7.2 oz.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2019, 01:52 AM »
Dead stick the 1000 and jig with the 500
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Heavy?
500 is 6.3oz
1000 is 7.2 oz.

6.3oz is heavy for an ice reel IMO. I have plenty of them and do use them on the ice, I don't prefer them at all. Much prefer the 5oz range. The 1000 series felt like holding bricks, tried it one day and said never again.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Dead stick the 1000 and jig with the 500

Bingo  @)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:58 PM »
I'd take a 1000 size rear drag over a 500 size top drag ANY day. The weight is negligible to me and the convenience of the much more accessible rear drag is more important than the lighter weight of the 500.
The 1000 is also better for the gigantic Walleye and Pike I have the luxury of hooking up on.

While I will agree with you that a rear drag is more user friendly, the 1000 sienna rear drag is right at 10 ounces I believe. While it doesnt sound like much, you would be amazed at how reel weight affects hooksets and how you fish a rod when being precise. I notice a substantial difference between a 5oz and a 6oz reel, a 10oz would be basically unfishable for me unless fishing with a broomstick rod for pike or something.

I also am not quite sure why the 1000 is better than the 500 for the "gigantic" fish you catch?? The 500 holds 100+yds of 8lb braid (never seen a walleye run 100 yards under the ice) and has 4lbs drag. 1000 rear drag holds about 150yds of 8lb braid and has 4lbs drag. Basically the same thing, both with 27" IPT as well. The only difference between the two in an ice fishing situation, would be heavier and rear drag on the 1000 rear drag.

For the front drag (new) sienna FG 1000, you gain 3lbs of drag over the 500 series, but I've personally never cranked the drag on an ice reel.. not even my walleye/pike setups. You also lose 3" IPT with the 1000 over the 500, that is more important than drag IMO when fishing vertical (ice fishing) for when a fish points up towards the hole on you. Like I said, I have the 500 series old style sienna (same specs) on a walleye rod and a panfish rod and do use it. Don't prefer it over say the 13 fishing wicked ice reel.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations! I don't know if it makes a difference, but the Sienna 500 I have is the FD, and the 1000 is the FE (front drag).

Same specs for drag and line cap?

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:08 PM »
6.3oz is heavy for an ice reel IMO. I have plenty of them and do use them on the ice, I don't prefer them at all. Much prefer the 5oz range. The 1000 series felt like holding bricks, tried it one day and said never again.

LOL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:22 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations! I don't know if it makes a difference, but the Sienna 500 I have is the FD, and the 1000 is the FE (front drag).

Yessir.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Well the 1000 specs aren't as high as you claim, and are actually 8.5 oz weight and 95 yards of 10lb power pro.

I just don't find the reel to be uncomfortably heavy at all on my 30" M and MH rods.

Most micro ice reels I find to be too small. Smallest fish I'll catch is a perch and I never fish for them. I have a few Abu Silver Max and Black Max 500 size reels that are okay, but most other ones I'm finding are too small now.

I also don't hold my rod with my hand like I'm painting watercolors at an easel or whatever that panfishing rod hold technique is called.

I would think a 1000 size reel could cause some fatigue with your hand and wrist in that position.

Heres the specs for the 1000 rear drag.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:41 PM »
It's the specs of the current model. I didn't realize we were suggesting old reels, my fault. Can probably find old stock on ebay if that is something the OP is interested in.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:25 PM »

Thanks guys for all the info! I'll be using the 1000fe on the deadstick and the 500fd jigging. I'll have another 1000fe as a backup and might swap out during my trip to see what it feels like. After this trip I'll have enough time on em to get comfortable one way or another.

Wasn't trying to start a debate, but I appreciate the extra info about the different models and aspects to think about.

Can't get to LoTW soon enough!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:37 PM »
It's because we are all passionate about our gear and about our particular preferences...

The size and weight of the reel, IT DOESN'T MATTER.  A 1 oz Tungsten will feel heavier vs a 1 oz Lead.  If you can tell that difference.  This is partially why I gave up fishing a smaller heavier feel of the 500 series while they do represent a lighter overall weight.

It's all about mass and inertia.  Hook setting and all is all about material and momentum.

Just about all of your UL reels use the same sized parts that the next up sized reel has.  Your handle, your rotor, your bail.  That weight saving is of course reel body size and then from probably from smaller gears, removal of counterbalance weights, plastics instead of metals, etc.

Once in a while there's a finished product with real working features, but then it comes with a hefty price tag at about $300 retail.  An actual shallow spool so you don't need line backing of any kind.

Shimano Soare Ci4+ 500s
weight 4.9 oz
smaller handle too 35mm length

While I do own a set of Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 1000HGFB at 5.6 oz vs my old Shimano Stradic 1000 FG at 10.4 oz. (I think, it's over 10 oz for sure.)  There's something to the old heavy 1000 Stradic that has a bigger spool, longer handle, larger rotor that accompanies it.  While both are 6.0 gears, the old one (when new) had that authority with larger fish.  It's hard to imagine fishing a current 4000 sized Stradic that weighs in at 9.9 oz.  The only reason I sort of retire the old ones from cold temp fishing is that they begin to bind when it's really cold or when I end up fishing them in the rain.

Anyway what I'm getting to is that if you close your eyes and crank your reel.  Will you really be able to discern the functionality of a reel by just weight alone?  That's really how the function of a tool is.  When it operates almost as if it's an extension of your own limbs.  When it comes down to finally the user and what actually feels good for oneself.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:54 PM »
Completely get that. I have musky reels and there are plenty of differences between the varying tiers of options. I know people get pretty passionate about fishing gear and I love it.

I'm just an idiot when it comes to ice fishing as of yet, but working on that.  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2020, 02:21 PM »
You have to remember that "ice fishing" is so different around the country as well. Some use big gear and take an aggressive approach, some use lightweight finesse gear (me) and tease them into biting then use the rod to fight the fish, some use bobbers and minnows with $10 broomstick setups, some run tipups and drink beer. Its all different in different regions.

Using my rod in pistol grip and hole hopping on the run with a spoon or rap, i can absolutely tell the difference (even 1oz) of weight in reels/rods. That little bit of difference changes the jigging motion ever so slightly and can throw you off your game. I dont need a heavy reel to get momentum to set the hook, i just flick my wrist and set it. With a quality rod and a light reel, its an instant hookset every time. In fact, a heavy reel weakens the hookset because it slows the hookset speed. Again, if you hold your rod in your palm, and set the hook like open water i can see it maybe helping.. but that's not how we fish around here.

As for a big reel controlling the fish, your rod does this. With a good quality rod built for the purpose you are using it for, it will fight the fish. Again, some people are different and just hold the rod in front of them and crank with the reel to fight the fish.. different techniques.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:37 PM »

I'm just an idiot when it comes to ice fishing as of yet, but working on that.  ;D

Realizing who you are is the first step to acceptance.  There is no shame in spending god awful amounts of cash on gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.