Author Topic: Drill Battery Converted to 12v  (Read 2331 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Drill Battery Converted to 12v
« on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:47 AM »
This has most likely been covered but for those of you that run lights/flashers off your drill batteries, how long to they last? Comparable to a standard lead acid 9ah or less? I have a lot of 20v 5ah dewalt batteries and just got an adapter ordered for it. Trying to decide between using my extra drill batteries on my power box or if i should splurge for a standard lithium 12v battery.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Drill Battery Converted to 12v
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2020, 12:11 PM »
I may run my string lighting using a USB device ..I just purchased a small unit for just that purpose . But may get a Milwaukee Job site light with a USB out ..tri purpose as a outside crappie light and as a hub/flip over light and USB port or just get the power source for my Milwaukee battery . I bought a 12v lithium battery last season for my Vexilar FL18..I like it alot . Never would consider doing a battery conversion to my Milwaukee battery for my flasher.

https://milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/Task-Lighting/2363-20
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2020, 01:25 PM »
I have made my own 12vdc converter, it has a 3amp output and I use it to power all of my 12vdc things. Also I have dewalt batts. And the dewalt USB charging adapter that I use for my cell phone and tablet. The 5amphr batts that have run my vex. For a couple of days no problems yet.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:45 PM »
I have made my own 12vdc converter, it has a 3amp output and I use it to power all of my 12vdc things. Also I have dewalt batts. And the dewalt USB charging adapter that I use for my cell phone and tablet. The 5amphr batts that have run my vex. For a couple of days no problems yet.

Mind sharing them schematics? or Part #'s? what is your input voltage range?

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:37 PM »
The crit. board is a DC to DC  voltage reducing and cost about 6.00 bucks at my electronics supply store near me. I did see them on amazon . You can program the input from 50 DC down to 12vdc and the out put voltage is programmed to 12vdc the output stays at 12vdc until the input gets below 12vdc.just look up YouTube videos on drill batteries conversions to power other things. Make sure you use a quality reducing rectifier that puts out a clean output voltage sign wave. I used a oscope for testing and confirming output before connecting to a expensive sonar unit

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:05 PM »
How dirty is the DC from a $6 converter? What was the pk-pk wave?

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:26 PM »
I use a fluke oscope and the voltage fluctuation was +/- .2 vdc while drawing 2 amps. This is a linear dc to dc reducing converter.and is mounted on a heatsink.   My vex does not draw even that it's less than 1 amp at full gain. Look at the back of your sonar and it will tell you the max and min 12vdc it can run you will be surprised on the 12vdc that it can handle. If you want run a helix 7 you will need a 12vdc batt they consume slot of juice. Before you build one hook up all the things that you use to a dc amp meter and add 20%and size the converter for use

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2020, 09:33 PM »
I would not use that adapter it will put out high volts that are not reduced to 12vdc make sure that you find out the volts dc your devices can take. It might make magic smoke come out of sonar units. Use a proper sized voltage reducer and fuse the load for proper amp draw. That's a 3 d printed adapter only. Power wheels motors can handle alot of different volts dc.  The sonar units internal power transformers are a little more judgemental. Just be aware of potential expensive accidents. Good luck on your adventure in the electronic build

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2020, 10:04 PM »
Guess i should have read into it more. I have a volt meter on my power box to help monitor the charge anyway so I wouldn’t have to worry about hooking up and burning up my electronics. I only plan to use the batteries in my power box which runs my shack lights and phone charge. Now i guess ill have to find a voltage reducer that will work with it.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2020, 10:36 PM »
Just find 4in ×4in ×4in deep elct.pvc box it has rubber seal on the cover and mount that on your adapter. That will keep all of your wiring and connections dry,and solder your connections and insulate them. Put a switch on the box. The reason for this is if you leave the battery connected to the adapter it will drain it over time. And have a fuse on the positive output wire to prevent shorts and overloading the circuit board and the important electronics that you hook to it . I have added a cigarette socket to the box to use the adapter for cell phone charging. Your friends will want one after they see it in use, I have built about five of these for my fishing buds. You will be able to use that thing on any dewalt batt 20vdc and up even flex volt batts. They can be made to work with Milwaukee m18 batts.aswell just need the adapter for their batt.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2020, 10:33 AM »
You can use ohms law to get a quick comparison for them.
volts x ah = watt hours
so 12v 9ah sla is equal to 108 watt hours But lead acid batteries should only be discharged to 50% of capacity.
Most lithium you can use 100% of rated capacity so lets say you have a 20v 5ah drill battery that would be 100 wh

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:56 PM »
You can use ohms law to get a quick comparison for them.
volts x ah = watt hours
so 12v 9ah sla is equal to 108 watt hours But lead acid batteries should only be discharged to 50% of capacity.
Most lithium you can use 100% of rated capacity so lets say you have a 20v 5ah drill battery that would be 100 wh

Just to clarify.
12vdc x 9ah =108 watt hours. BUT knowing this don't forget that is only 108W for 1hr, not 9hrs @ 108w.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Adapter came today, step down/reducer comes tomorrow. Adapter is is really well made, definitely 3D printed but fits my battery like a glove. I plan to mount the reducer on top of the battery with interlocking heavy duty Velcro. I will update then. At this point I could have bought the knock-off version but i am still $20 less than the dewalt brand.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.