The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kokanee cleaning and pin bones  (Read 902 times)

Offline Baitslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
Kokanee cleaning and pin bones
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:50 PM »
What's everyone's preferred method for dealing with the small pin bones in Kokanee? 

These are 12-15 inch fish that I would prefer to fillet, then use in the smoker or throw on the grill.  Don't like those bones though, and don't want to pick them out individually like in a larger salmon.
Fat, Drunk, and Stupid for over half a century

Offline TreeKiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kokanee cleaning and pin bones
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Picking them is the way to go. Canning them will soften the bones quite a bit and you can eat them. If you are really particular about it then cut them out by following them very carefully with a filet knife.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:10 PM »
Agree with above. You should be able to pick the pin bones out of a 12 to 15 inch Koke with a pair of tweezers in under a minute. If not, can it.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:30 PM »
If you're going to smoke lake trout fillets or large kokanee fillets, leave the pin bones in the fillets until after you smoke them.  The pin bones will stick up out of the dried meat, it'll be easy to grab them with tweezers, and it'll be easy to slide them out of the smoked fillets.

With small kokanee fillets, I don't bother removing the pin bones.  However, after I smoke the little fillets, I run the back of a spoon over the tips of the pin bones to smash them down, so the sharp tips won't poke a hole in my vacuum packing bags.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.