Author Topic: TO FILLET A WATERMELON  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
TO FILLET A WATERMELON
« on: Jun 27, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I don't use my fillet knives on just fish, sometimes I use it on fruits and vegetables.

To find a nice ripe watermelon look at the spot where it was resting on the ground.
You want the ground spot to have some color, the darker the riper, not too dark or it may be over-ripe, but avoid watermelons with white ground spots.

Cut about an inch off the ends, so it will stand up on your cutting board.

Use your fillet knife to cut the rind off. Flip over and finishing trimming off the rind.

Cut into one inch slices

Cross slice into one inch cubes

Now you have a nice big bowl of fresh easy to serve and eat watermelon
We like to drizzle a little bit of honey over the top. the flavor works well with watermelon.
Stores easily in your refrigerator, just cover with a wet paper towel.

Everybody have a great holiday!  :tipup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: TO FILLET A WATERMELON
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2019, 05:13 PM »
 :thumbsup:
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Nice, I filleted some chicken breasts and potatoes with mine.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2019, 02:07 PM »
I tried this about a week ago & it works great ! Everyone that was here, was really impressed w/ how neat & easy it was. I didn't cube mine, just left it in 1/4"-1/2"  slices. Always have used my knives in the kitchen & also for cutting deer in the barn.  Thanks for sharing !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2019, 02:23 PM »
Joe  is that a BUBBA knife?
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Quick question why not make slices with rind on and fillet out of the rind?? Since your cubing any how?? Same for those that don't cube..

seems like a triple step skinning then slicing then cubeing it when you can slice right around rind then cube I like my slices about 1.5 to 2 inches thick..

buy aForesner fillet knife.. I got a 12 inch cemeter blade .. black nonslip handle model and the steel to go with.. all I use on our salmon Up here..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2019, 04:32 PM »
By the way you cut it down middle long ways it wIll easier to slice cause it won't roll or rock on you .. working in a restaurant had its perks back when ..

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Joe  is that a BUBBA knife?

Yes, it's a Bubba flex tip, it seems to hold an edge well, with no complaints on it so far. 

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Quick question why not make slices with rind on and fillet out of the rind?? Since your cubing any how?? Same for those that don't cube..

seems like a triple step skinning then slicing then cubeing it when you can slice right around rind then cube I like my slices about 1.5 to 2 inches thick..

buy aForesner fillet knife.. I got a 12 inch cemeter blade .. black nonslip handle model and the steel to go with.. all I use on our salmon Up here..

I guess I don't seem to see the difference if you skin, slice and cube or slice, skin, and cube.

I completely agree, a 12-inch cimeter Forschner knife may be the best knife for Salmon and other large fish bar none. :thumbsup: It has been our go-to knife around here for decades.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2019, 05:54 PM »
The way your doing it tends to roll more cause its round..  when working with a knife it can be dangerous..  if it does this as in big cuts or lost fingers limbs etc.. .. that's why with rind on spit down middle long ways or in center..  then lay on flat side on cutyi g surface then cut slices with rind on after done slicing it's easier to cut the rind off small slice then it is to fillet rind off.. and you get less rind on the slices this way as in the white. Can cube the slices to after off rind..

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2019, 04:12 PM »
The way your doing it tends to roll more cause its round..  when working with a knife it can be dangerous..  if it does this as in big cuts or lost fingers limbs etc.. .. that's why with rind on spit down middle long ways or in center..  then lay on flat side on cutyi g surface then cut slices with rind on after done slicing it's easier to cut the rind off small slice then it is to fillet rind off.. and you get less rind on the slices this way as in the white. Can cube the slices to after off rind..

All agree that working with a knife can be dangerous and care must be taken.

I find that cutting the ends off and placing the flat end on a cutting board to be quite sturdy and I'm very comfortable prepping a watermelon this way.

I do agree that splitting it down the middle as you describe would be safer and some may prefer that approach. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Definitely need some cooler weather and some ice to fish on,yeah theres more than one way to cut a melon!lol

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Or just cut one end off and push a small bottle of vodka upside down in to it and put in fridge.... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Or just cut one end off and push a small bottle of vodka upside down in to it and put in fridge.... ;D
🍷cut a wedge out of the middle and let the bottle drain then put the wedge back in and let it set

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:44 PM »
All agree that working with a knife can be dangerous and care must be taken.

I find that cutting the ends off and placing the flat end on a cutting board to be quite sturdy and I'm very comfortable prepping a watermelon this way.

I do agree that splitting it down the middle as you describe would be safer and some may prefer that approach. 

Yup exactly..

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2019, 12:14 PM »

Now here is a gadget

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I don't just use my shotgun on birds either...

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2019, 10:52 PM »
Fillet knives are just awesome for that kind of work.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:23 AM »

....small bottle  ???

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.