Author Topic: Northern Pike Tips  (Read 9060 times)

travisrcollier

Northern Pike Tips
« on: Dec 07, 2003, 06:45 PM »
Hey is there anyone out there with some usefull tips on catching 10lb or larger pike close to lethbridge.

would appreciate locations and methods.
thanks alot

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
Re:Northern Pike Tips
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2003, 09:08 PM »
Hey Mr Ci dont know your neck of the woods in the south but i fish for pike almost every weekend in central alberta and fishing on a steep drop off with tip ups along this drop and larger smelts. last week i caught 2 nice 14 and 15 lb pike doinf this in pigoen.

travisrcollier

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2003, 12:45 AM »
hey thanks alot i will be sure to try this out next weekend

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:13 PM »
where do u catch big pike like that in pigeon and at what depth?

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:12 PM »
izzy if u were directing that question at me i norally fish ma-me-o the method i normally use is when i show up i look strait out in to the lake drill 1 hole and find a good depth to start about at 8-10 ft and start drilling about 10-12 holes in a zig zag pattern in to deeper water. i dont drill them far apart so u can be certian to try allmost all depths. and fallow the rule of thumb i set a tip up in my 2 holes and i  wait 3/4 to a hour and nothing hits move the tip up to the next hole and so on.
i caught the last to big pike just north of the peir in i believe about 8 ft.on the 23 of novemeber.

travisrcollier

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:50 PM »
what kind of jigs or spoons work best for jigging pike in shallow water (10-15 feet)

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:28 AM »
travis u can us  any styles of spoons fairly large tipped with a minnow ,or any bait u can use regular jigs 1/4 oz and maybe a 1/2 oz head any color normally is sufficent with a twister tail added and u can use any jig that swims back and forth while desending but any thing that interfeers with your line is a no no, no doubt!
some good color of spoons are silver, red,green blue silver,
i also just learned a new technic from a other sites artical called running-and -gunning pike, u "troll with the auger"  u drill a hole around srtucker u know hold pike and pike are very attracted to the noice of gas augers (hope u have one) and u fish the hole  if nothing happens drill another along your structure and fish.  dont fish the hole more than 5-8 mins if nothing hits and if u catch one try alittle longer but move to the next.

travisrcollier

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2003, 11:43 AM »
hey king fish thanks alot i will probably try this method along the weedlines it might be harder to do only having a hand powered auger but i guess theres nothing wrong with a little excersie.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2003, 12:43 PM »
Travis considering u only have a armstrong auger u can still use the same tatic of run em and gun em but u cant use the  sound of the auger to attract pike.
Ive fished pike this way by drilling multiple holes and just moving ever 5-8 mins if nothig bite i never knew that pike were attracted to the sound of a auger untill i read an artical. :'(

travisrcollier

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2003, 06:45 PM »
are the pike attracted to the vibrations caused by the auger?
im curios because if they are there might be a way to rig up some sort of agitator
what are your thoughts on that?

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:23 PM »
travis n the artical i read today they said that they were attracted to loud sounds just like the sound of a gas auger but its mostlikely both the sound and the fibrations.. I would think mostly the sound though :P

Offline hook'm n cook'm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2003, 12:42 AM »
I generally fish for Pike in northern MT and do pretty well with smelt on a swedish hook.  We can fish up to six lines in the lakes in this area so we drill our holes in a "v" shape about 10 to 15 feet apart starting from about 5 feet in depth.  We will find a channel if we are fishing a resevior and move out next to it.  We set our smelt 1 foot off the bottom.  I am not sure about the regs in Alberta, but we seem to find a lot of Pike.  It gets pretty crazy when there are four of us with 24 tip ups in the water.  Usually out of 24 there are only 4 - 5 that produce many fish.

I am also a believer in using the auger to attract pike.  We seem to catch the most when we are drilling the holes.  We have drilled extra holes just to attract the pike and it seems to be effective.  I have also heard of guys idling their 4 wheelers on the ice to attract them.  I don't have one so I can't try it myself.  Its hard to convince my wife to let me buy one just to catch more pike. :P

travisrcollier

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2003, 02:43 AM »
yeah i wish i could get a 4 wheeler too but im a college student so i cant even afford a power auger but if its sound they like maybe i drive my car on the ice and pound my subwoofers
 :) it would be amusing to see if pike prefer reaggae or rock
thanks for the tips guys i hope i have a better trip next weekend last one i got 4 hammer handles at park lake and one that was maybe 4 pounds. theres a ton of fish in that lake and i fished all summer but only got one good one. great place for average perch though

travisrcollier

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2003, 03:15 PM »
so i fished keho lake on saturday and it was a bad day from the start. my buddy and i drilled 2 holes then i went to set up our bait lines i had dropped my line and set the rod in the holder and went to get my hole cover on my way back to the hole i saw my rod tip bounce a little so started to run towards it  but before i could get there i saw the butt end of my $50 ice fishing combo shoot down the hole. The pike must have gone 10 to 15 lbs to flip my holder over i had it packed tight in slush and ice and i had it spiked into the ice. The fish took a small smelt on a snelled hook about 4 feet off the bottom. Let this be a lesson to all, dont leave the rod unattended until the hole is covered or the rod is tied on. the rest of the day we got the scattered hammer handle on glow jigs but nothing respectable. Hope you guys all have better luck than i did this weekend.

Offline hook'm n cook'm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2003, 07:19 PM »
And i was feeling sorry for myself for not getting out at all.  Maybe Santa will get you another rod for Christmas.

travisrcollier

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2003, 12:52 AM »
i replaced it today with a much cheaper rod
im a college student on a limited budget so losing that rod was more  devastating. i learned my lesson though.

pikey

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2003, 12:06 PM »
Was out to Badger on Saturday. Action was slow but one big (12 lb or so) pike came around and grabbed my minnow tipped spoon. Lost her the first time she grabbed a red and white, came back a couple of hours later and tried with a smaller luhr jensen gold and pink spoon and got her. Nice fish, 36inches, very deep in the body-made the whole day worth while. Fishing in about 6 feet of water.:)

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:13 PM »
Bigger baits catch bigger fish. I use smelts 10-12 inches in length. Also with big baits U don't catch hammer handles. Always use leaders when pike fishing,
at least 12 in long.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:40 PM »
I hate Hammer Handles

sweet446

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2004, 03:30 PM »
what are the best baits for big pike cause my friend said that airplane jigs are?any help would be great happy fishing. :'(

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I buy my bait at Billingsgate in Calgary.  Frozen herring or smelts 5-6".  Never the headless ones.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Re:Northern Pike Tips for sweet446
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2004, 09:51 PM »
sweet446 -
Airplanes are great pike lures, so are jigging raps and
whisler jigs.
The whislers are easy to fish, just jig em as hard as you want, pike hit em on the way down, tip em with a minnow,perch eye or piece of steak.
As for the airplanes and the raps, after you jig em up, you have to let them settle. They both go round in circles after you drop your rod tip. Dont lose touch of your line cause thats when they hit and you set the hook on the next jig.
Later TJ

sweet446

« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2004, 01:25 PM »
Thanks tjg im gonna use all of these tips at the pigeon lake contest!!!! ;D ;D ;D :'(

sweet446

Re: Northern Pike Tips
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Hey guys do 20 pound leaders work the best? :'(

sweet446

« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2004, 01:50 PM »
please somebody anwser me

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:38 AM »
20 is ok but remember, the heavier the leader is the more it is going to inpead the natural action of the lure. The wire leaders are the best, I think and they come in all sizes,
weight and length.
Later TJ

sweet446

« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:24 PM »
thanks for the tips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.