Author Topic: Need help with crimping leaders  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Fisherm@n

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need help with crimping leaders
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Hi I need help with crimping leaders. I would like to make some 50# 100# fluorocarbon leaders but I can't figure out the sizing system. It seems like some sites don't sell small enough crimps. I would like to use double barrels but I was also wondering how the sizing works on singles do I have to double the size of the line for the crimp? Like if 50# is .5 mill do I need a 1mill single crimp for it to work? I was planning on tieing the 50# leaders but would also like to learn to crimp as well. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Fisherm@n

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need help with crimping leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Also I was was wondering if anyone can recommend a crimper tool or swager? Also what's the difference is it just the shape of the teeth on the tool? Do most people use cup to cup and when you buy crimp sleeves how do you know there style? (Cup to cup or point to cup? Thank you in advance

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:35 AM »
I have some experience with crimping. Even after I have spent well over half my lifetime extolling the evils thereof...........

First, check out the crimping primer here: http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Lots of good info here even if it is from a supplier. After reading through this stuff I figured if it's good enough for the saltwater guys to rely on it's likely good enough for me.

The high points:

1. Get a proper crimping tool. I have a Mustad saltwater model I got for around $30. since my plan was to make some much heavier fluoro leaders for open water musky fishing I easily justified the cost. The things are built like a tank and I'll never wear them out. Cup to cup is the preferred style for most crimping operations. Whatever you do don't buy cheap, this a tool you will be relying on. If you are unsure of the maker, mouse through some saltwater sites and see what the high profile names are. Braid, Jinkai, Mustad and Yo-Zuri are all quality products.

2. Use the proper crimps for the job. Aluminum crimps are preferred for "plastic" leaders while steel goes on steel. Hi-Seas makes some very nice oval aluminum crimps in applicable sizes. I use the Grand Slams in 1.0mm for my 60# Ande Fluoro(.73mm), I probably could have gone with the .80mm. I've got some 1.3mm for 100#-130# Ande or Triple Fish fluoro. http://www.afwhiseas.com/Aluminum-Sleeves-s/2287.htm

3. Get the right size crimp. The only way your crimps will be too small is if the leader won't fit. Too large can create some slippage problems. Use the smallest size you can.

4. Practice consistency in your crimping. Once you have it down there's no reason you should experience a failure. That said, don't "overfish" your leaders. Inspect them often and change them before a fatigue related failure occurs. Remember to only crimp the center leaving the ends flared out a bit to decrease crimp wear on the leader.

Oh yeah, sizing........ 1 inch = 25.4 mm. So if your 50# Seaguar fluoro is .024" you will need a minimum of a (.024 x 25.4) = .61mm ID sleeve. The closest the Grand Slams come is .70mm and will work fine.

Now I will also tell you that 50-60# is pretty easy to tie, it just uses a little more leader material. A 3 wrap Uni-knot does the trick................

That ought to get you started.............Go od luck!

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fisherm@n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Thank you very much this helps a lot. I haven't bought any crimps yet because I was afraid to get the wrong size. I had read that tips page and it said you didn't want them to be to big but I have no idea what's to big when were talking about .1mm. What's the biggest you normally will go before you might have problems? I would like to get a few sizes of crips that would work with a descent size range of line that I will use probably 50# to 130#. Do you have any websites you recommend for leader supplies? Thanks again for your time.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:04 PM »
I got mine at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Seas-Grand-Aluminum-Crimp-Sleeves/dp/B004UUDIZ0

It's amazing how much stuff they have the best price on, beating auctions on eBay much of the time. The crimps are priced the same as on the AFW/Hi-Seas website except there's no minimum order. My wife does a bunch of stuff with Amazon and has the "Prime" account so I save on shipping too......

If you're plan on doing any amount of crimping don't overlook the price point on the 500 piece bag. It's too good to pass up. I don't know the size of the leader material you'll be using I would guess that .7 -.8mm would be good for your 50# and 1.2-1.3mm for the 100#.

If you want the double barrel sleeves Amazon has those too but the smallest they come is 1.0mm which did work fine on my .73mm/60# fluoro. They also weigh more, adding weight to your rig and cost around twice as much. Just noticed at the bottom of the Amazon page for the Grand Slam crimps is a link to the Mustad crimping tool I bought (about $20 with S/H). One stop shopping.........

If you can't figure out the size of your leader material, look on the spool or box for a diameter. Most US products are measured in inches foreign stuff in millimeters and some in both.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:09 PM »
The wire I buy specifies the size of the crimp right on the spool. Look at the packaging for your wire very close. Might be there.

Offline Fisherm@n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Thank you for all your help. Greatly appreciated

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 AM »
 one of the things I have found with wire, is on berkely, the crimps will show apropriate wire size ,but even with these, i have found out tha you got through with the wire, back through, and back through again, there is room, and it leaves a bump just before the crimp, and cannot possiblly pull through, I know guys use crimps on flouro, but I have always been afraid, the crimp might cut the material, so I tie, even if I put splitshot on flouro, i crimp it lightly maybe burr on sinker, but I also use 20# flouro

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.