Author Topic: mountain whitefish  (Read 2742 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
mountain whitefish
« on: Nov 27, 2005, 12:34 PM »
well, once again I have noticed a fish in  your area acts completely different than the fish from my area. Although in this case, they are seperate species. My whitefish, mountain whitefish, live in rivers. I wonder if any of them are in lakes around here cuz some of the rivers that form reservoirs have them? Anyone know of mountain whitefish being in lakes? Heck, has anyone out there even caught a mountain whitefish besides me?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: mountain whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2005, 05:34 PM »
TFB, yes I have caught Mountain whites many times while nymphing in deep pools for cuts.  #16 bead head pheasant tail or hare's ear works awesome.  I think some of the Alberta Rockie's foothills lakes may contain mountain whites.  I would have to look into it to be certain.  I rarely lake fish in the mountains.  If I'm making the 3.5hr drive I'm doing it to stream fish ;D

Trevor

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:39 PM »
i catch them in the rivers and occasionally the lakes  around here. awesome action on the fly rod in the spring time! they call them round whites  or river whites around here.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:41 PM »
You know I'm here. Love that whitefish action early may thru june. Lots of em up here

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:38 PM »
next to smelt i think they are the best eating fish in my area. pound for pound the best fight too!

Offline scchase

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Ya we caugth some mountain whitefish ice fishing on Kinney resevoir near Rangly CO though that is also the only thing we have ever caught ice fishing there. If you ever want to give it a go the ice is always extra thick there for some reason and you have to get used to the current your line will take off downstream the entire time you are fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.