Author Topic: Shack fan help  (Read 3914 times)

Offline dudedude

• IceShanty Rookie
Shack fan help
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:48 AM »
I have 2 computer fans blowing hot air down, but it doesn't really make it to the floor. I was thinking of getting a 12 volt ceiling fan,but im afraid of people hitting it,I have a 7 foot ceiling.Any better ideas or pictures of what to do?

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shack fan help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:02 AM »
My fan blows across the stove pipe to the back of the shack, seems to move air pretty well. Maybe try that instead of down from ceiling?

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Install a PVC pipe in the corner or against the wall with the fan mounted at the top (or bottom) and blow the air to the floor. At the bottom of the pipe you can install a PVC elbow to direct the air. A 2 or 3 inch pipe should work depending on the size of fan. Should work like a charm!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:00 AM »
what about a rv vent fan or a electric fan from a car? btw how many sq feet is the whole shanty i could do a formula to figure btu's could be low btu's i am a h.v.a/c. guy ;D. if you can mount the thermo-stat away from the heater on the floor opsite side of the room if need be.will  take longer to heat from one side to the ohter and more heat will be produced. now if it is mounted on the heater it's self there is your problem. cause it is just heating a little bit up of the air and not really doing any thing cause it trips to quick and shuts off.  this is why they do not mount the t-stat in the furance air stream. it will trip and cycle on and off constantly. 

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:33 AM »
get a thing of flexible furnace duct in the 3 or 4 inch diamiter and install it coming down from the fan to the floor. works like a charm and it and if you put it on a wall they will stay out of your way.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:47 AM »
There is a company that adressed this issue and sell a kit. It is pretty much 4" dryer hose, a fan like yours and a couple zip ties. Fan at top blowing down through hose. Wow!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 12:54 PM »
  I have a 12 volt occalating fan that I got from a RV Dealer. Works GREAT !!!  ;)
 Fish House Supply has them as well.    :tipup:

WyoIce

RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Is your fan screwed directly to the ceiling? If it is you need to put some spaces between the ceiling and the fan. That way the fan will draw air from above and through it, instead of just trying top push the air that is below the fan.
jbird68

Offline dudedude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:26 PM »
It is mounted to the 2x6 rafter. It is probably 3 inches or so down from the ceiling. It blows plenty of air, it just doesn't quite get 7 feet down to the floor.it is probably 10-15 degrees colder at the floor, and yes it's the floor is insulated.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Install a PVC pipe in the corner or against the wall with the fan mounted at the top (or bottom) and blow the air to the floor. At the bottom of the pipe you can install a PVC elbow to direct the air. A 2 or 3 inch pipe should work depending on the size of fan. Should work like a charm!

X2!

I've been tinkering with just this type of set up...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Antec makes a 200mm computer fan called the TriCool Big Boy (8 inches). My PC has one. The retail version has a 3-speed switch on it, wonder if it would push the air down better?

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:44 PM »
is this what your taking about

"
"

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I've toyed with the idea of a radiator fan with a rheostat on to vary the out put.  You can get on on eBay for around 20 bucks and probably 10 for the rheostat...jut my two cents.  I too have fans mounted on the ceiling just like yours. My only worry about the radiator fans are noise...the don't have noise ratings on radiator fans...and who wants to enjoy shack fishing with a noisy fan?

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:01 AM »
The computer fan is nice and quiet and I understand you are trying to get the hot air from the ceiling to the floor, or you would just put a fan on the floor also.
Several ways to do this without to much effort or expense. You can move the ceiling fan to one wall and mount it pointing down about six inches from the top. Then mount another fan two feet below that one. Now the warmer air will get blown down to the next fan and continue to the floor. Remember its air your dealing with, and as air goes it changes as it hits objects. To keep it from changing you need to keep it off objects that will suck the life out of it, or the heat so to speak. My way is to use the foam board insulation. Very hard to transfer heat through this material. For the best, you could use the heat run tubing or make a box out of foam board to blow the air to the floor. Don't use the aluminum dryer vent stuff or you will get an opposite effect as it will cool your warm air from the ceiling. A larger fan and all this isn't needed, but I assume you want quiet and don't want a large amp draw fan that would require larger batteries.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:14 AM »
It is mounted to the 2x6 rafter. It is probably 3 inches or so down from the ceiling. It blows plenty of air, it just doesn't quite get 7 feet down to the floor.it is probably 10-15 degrees colder at the floor, and yes it's the floor is insulated.

is there any way to move the thermostat to the floor? area if it is like a window model half in half out? see if in the owner manual there is a connection point for a thermostat.  like honey well etc from lowes/homedepot. the further away the t-stat is the longer it will run casuing  more heat output and a warmer floor if mounted a foot off the ground on the oppsite side of the building. it my take longer to heat up produceing more heat. the problem with a window mounted unit is it is self cotained  and run as soon as you hook propane etc to it and tend to cycle cause the t-stat is in side of it and not heat the space right . or it just is not big enough to heat the space.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:47 AM »
It is threads like this that make me love this site. You guys are a gold mine of information! :bow:

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:01 PM »
It is threads like this that make me love this site. You guys are a gold mine of information! :bow:

X2!!!!

It's kinda like having a bunch of buddies over, drinking beer, figuring out stuff! LOL!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.