Author Topic: Menard's Masterforce 20V Brushless Drill Two Year Review  (Read 11337 times)

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
I thought I would post a followup review of this drill that I had purchased. Let's say that I was shocked at how well this budget drill has performed.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/power-drills-accessories/masterforce-reg-flexpower-reg-20-volt-lithium-ion-cordless-brushless-1-2-drill-driver-kit-with-4-0ah-battery/p-1444426411965-c-9072.htm?tid=-7641555018639978555&ipos=19

After 2 years of use, I'm shocked at how well this low priced drill has performed. No issues whatsoever. I have used it in ice ranging from 4 to 22 inches and it has never stalled or shutdown yet. I set up a shelter and a Jawjacker and may move a few times, so on average I drill about 8 holes a trip. Probably 75 trips since I got it. Battery has 4 led charge indicator. Most trips come home with 4 still lit.

I paid $109 for it at the time and I see they are on sale for $99 now before rebate ($88 after)

Menards MasterForce FlexPower 20V Brushless Drill, 4.0ah Lithium Ion battery, Clam Drill Adpater Plate, 8" Eskimo Auger (Mora Style) 10" Ice

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Menard's Masterforce 20V Brushless Drill Two Year Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to do your update, looks like you've given it a good test. Hope it continues to work well for you.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:32 PM »

<===Lefty===

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Yes, thanks for the update. I've been thinking of getting a drill and some sort of adapter for my Strikemaster 5". But I've been hesitant because it seems even some of the more expensive drills have had issues.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:20 PM »
good review.  people are always going back and forth about the power and torque and the this and the that. 

i know a guy with 3 years on his 18v dewalt nicad and a kdrill and he does just fine. 

it doesn't always have to be the big milwaukee/dewalt drill. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:27 PM »
good review.  people are always going back and forth about the power and torque and the this and the that. 

i know a guy with 3 years on his 18v dewalt nicad and a kdrill and he does just fine. 

it doesn't always have to be the big milwaukee/dewalt drill.
.   Depends how u fish , if u fish once a week, that rig up will be fine, I wouldn’t want to take that to North Dakota with 15-20” ice though, even though it might be ok. There is a reason that they are priced cheaper, that don’t mean they won’t work !!

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:51 PM »
 Like I mentioned above, I have ice fished quite a bit with this setup and it turns the 8" bit just fine, eventhough the drill is rated at only 600 inch pounds. I just don't drill that many holes on each trip with a fully charged battery. Guys who hole hop and drill a bunch of holes through thick ice might discover an issue that I haven't experienced. I wonder what power tool manufacturer makes this drill for Menard's?

Offline byg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I have the same set up and use it as much as Auqua does,it has worked great. Granted Ill never drill 15-20" of ice around here.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:40 PM »
.   Depends how u fish , if u fish once a week, that rig up will be fine, I wouldn’t want to take that to North Dakota with 15-20” ice though, even though it might be ok. There is a reason that they are priced cheaper, that don’t mean they won’t work !!

yup.  it all depends.  he drills 5-6 holes tops and is done.  many of these drills have so much plastic inside them (watch a few aVe videos where he takes apart all sorts of cordless power tools) that while they'll work for a bit, after a while, they are caput. 

Offline garyr83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2019, 03:49 PM »
I have this setup 1/2"  masterforce drill strike master 5" with an adapter. Love it  any temp never failed me.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:25 PM »
 Another season and it's still working great!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:44 PM »
Years Before the drill craze really kicked in i used a ni cad porter cable drill with a kovac adapter and 5” lazer and would get about 8 holes.it was alright.then i took a break from the drill/auger setup until the drills of today.my setup now rips ice and so amazing over the old porter cable drill i was using.

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Good to hear. I have an 8 piece kit and Menards just had a buy one battery get another free, so I picked up 2 5.0 to go with the 3 that came with the kit..I think I will try my drill this year......Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.