Author Topic: Salmo Chubby Darter?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Salmo Chubby Darter?
« on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:23 AM »
I have been trying to find this new lure that looked killer and I found it at a gander mountain back home over the holidays. Pricey lure too at 7 bucks a pop. Has anyone used this lure and had much success. What are good ways to fish it? wvboy
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Salmo Chubby Darter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2003, 06:31 PM »
I have great success using this lure.  I have even caught bluegill on the smaller ones.  I tend to fish them like Rapala/Nils Master jiggers, but I give them a forcefull upward tug.  Whenever I have had a fish hit one it has been a solid strike.

I got mine a year or so ago but $7.00 seems a bit steep.

Knife2sharp

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004, 09:30 AM »
Can you tip the hook with a minnow head, or is it best to not put anything on it?

acsacmboy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:51 AM »
do you think they are as productive as the jigging rap or not? if so i will go and purchase one. they do seem pricy tho

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:30 PM »
You could tip them with a minnow head if you want, I never have.  They seem to work just as good as the jigging rap for me.

Hope this helps.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2004, 07:24 AM »
once you find the jigging tempo that the fish in your lake want the will out produce the jigging raps or the nils master

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:40 AM »
Salmo's web site suggest that you can fish the Cubby Darter as attractor/lure by removing the front treble and add a dropper. Havent tried that yet but I played with it a little of new years day and the action of that lure is AMAZING!!! Nothing quite like it. And the realistic almost photographic finish is sweet.I would eat it!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:45 PM »
Just a little side comment- I've found that bass love this lure more than any other fish through the ice. But I guess that's because it looks so good, and bass hunt by site more than any other fish that I know.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2004, 05:42 PM »
have played with the dropper hook system walleye love this as an attractor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.