The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Got checked by security on Saturday 🤪  (Read 783 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got checked by security on Saturday 🤪
« on: Jan 29, 2024, 09:21 AM »
So I was fishing our private lake in Pike County on Saturday morning. It is right next to a township road and a lot of cars were going by as I was fishing.

About 9am I hear someone on the dock yell out to me “How’s the ice?”   I look and it is one of our security guards, so I walked over to him(with my spud bar.). He said he had received multiple calls from people who were concerned about me fishing on thin ice. He said he told them he couldn’t force me to leave but he would check on me. He was very nice and admitted he knew nothing about ice fishing, so I showed him my safety gear and explained/demonstrated how I check the ice with my spud bar. I also told him I had pre-planned to be off the ice by 10am before things warmed up and got sketchy. He seemed appreciative of the info, wished me luck and left.

Ice was 3.5” and solid when I walked on but was getting a bit soft and cracked a little near shore (not where I was fishing)when I left at 10. Of course the bite was really picking up at 10, but I stuck to my guns and headed home before things got bad.

I also spoke to a young girl in the parking lot before I went out who asked me how I know the ice is safe. So I showed her how I test it with my spud bar and then measure with my gaff. Also showed her my ice picks and float suit. She was appreciative since she had just moved to Pa from Florida.

So it was an educational morning on the ice! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Got checked by security on Saturday 🤪
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2024, 05:33 PM »
That's the way to handle respectful inquiries.  :thumbsup:
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2024, 06:51 PM »
Ya, you got to think safety before you even to think to get on first ice or late ice. I always carry ropes, have a life jacket on, and tie off to whatever I can with a rope at those times.  Always carry ice spikes and a whistle. I will fish on 3 inches when needed, but I always have a rope with me tied to something solid. Just think ahead. Like my dad told me if you don't have it when you need it, its worth nothing.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:41 PM »
Ya, you got to think safety before you even to think to get on first ice or late ice. I always carry ropes, have a life jacket on, and tie off to whatever I can with a rope at those times.  Always carry ice spikes and a whistle. I will fish on 3 inches when needed, but I always have a rope with me tied to something solid. Just think ahead. Like my dad told me if you don't have it when you need it, its worth nothing.
Some great advice and try to fish with a buddy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.