The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Plastics with wax worms  (Read 2412 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
Plastics with wax worms
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Is it a waste of money using soft plastics and then adding a wax worm?I use wax tail jigs and got some 13fishing exciter plastics to use,but put waxworks on them cause everyone tells me you need the meat on there.On the other hand I tried just a tungsten jig with a wax worm and catch fish.I do not get to fish a lot so I want to be productive as I can without going crazy with lure choice.I have many kinds of little jigs I do not even use that were before tungsten was around.

Offline prefect

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Plastics with wax worms
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Basically, you just need to figure what the fish want. Sometimes the fish want meat, and sometimes plastics alone will get the job done. That being said, however, my most productive bait year after year is a trout magnet (purple redemption) with a spike on the hook.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:52 AM »
My son and I fish Saturday and Sunday. We fished hard,I'm physically exhausted. Basically clean plastics saved our trip. Ratso's and Spiki saved the days. I will say we covered some water.lol  But jumbo perch,crappie and big gills smack those clean plastics and turned their noses up at mags,waxies,and minnows. Everyday is different,but basically we fish clean plastics,bait is only an alternative.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Thanks.The experience on this site is very helpful.I drilled a lot of holes also The last three days.I was searching and would see fish on bottom looking at my lure more than taking it..My guess is they were bluegills.Do not think the crappie were in the shallower water I was fishing.I just do not want to keep dropping too much coin on things I do not need and confusing things.Also,what would you say a Swedish Pimple is most effective on.I have some of those.I also accumulated a stash of lures from a rescent Craigslist purchase of ice fishing equipment..A bunch of jigging rapalas and alike and more Swedish pimples.More lures than I will ever use many still is packs.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:42 AM »
I'll agree it depends on what they wanna eat.  I've used plastics tipped with rubber waxies and worked.  I've only had decent success with bare plastics during an active crappie frenzy.  Typically I always tip with a waxie or spike.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Yesterday’s  catch on misery bay  drilled 2 holes did not move  fished Clam milki  was the Choice of the day mixed bad of fish....bite was on on from the 1st drop...a lot of throw back as of well .....ice  had little snow but  has about 2 ins of water in spots.  ....

What kind of jig head and size do you use with these?

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Thanks

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Is it a waste of money using soft plastics and then adding a wax worm?I use wax tail jigs and got some 13fishing exciter plastics to use,but put waxworks on them cause everyone tells me you need the meat on there.On the other hand I tried just a tungsten jig with a wax worm and catch fish.I do not get to fish a lot so I want to be productive as I can without going crazy with lure choice.I have many kinds of little jigs I do not even use that were before tungsten was around.
.      Once u have confidence in what you are using, you won’t need to “tip” with spike or wax worm. Get a laugh on u tube fishing with soft plastics, if you look closely most are tipped with live bait. But after they take fish off they rave about the soft plastic they are using !! I don’t tip and they seem to work fine for me, but whatever works for each guy will also work !!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:24 AM »
on horizontal jigs I often add a plastic tail like a whip or half a mustache worm, then put on a wax worm. I find that with the plastic and worm I get a lot of interest and bites but if I get a short hit that strips the waxy off, the fish might still be interested in the jig and tail but soon lose interest.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:21 PM »
I have become a fan of the gulp and other scented plastics because of their shelf life coupled with some scent in the water. Being that I dont get out too often, I dont like buying live bait that will sit in the fridge and drive my wife mad just to have it all be dead or rotten by the time I use it. but as other folks have said and as fishing goes, it really depends. I use everything I have in my tackle bag on the slow days. Some days live bait works (worms, waxies, grubs, ect.) other days the scented things like Gulp or Powerbait work, other days simple soft plastics, others they want metal spoons, some days they want anything I drop in and some days they want nothing that I have to offer.
I say experiment with it and find what works for you.

I was searching and would see fish on bottom looking at my lure more than taking it..My guess is they were bluegills.

If you were not sight fishing but basing this off of a flasher or fish finder and you do not have a really sensitive rod tip, I would highly suggest a quality spring bobber for panfish. A lot of gills, perch, and even salmon and trout that I have caught I caught due to my spring bobber. Never felt the hit because they simply suck in the bait while sitting still. With a spring bobber I was able to see the smallest little twitch from the tension of the line disappearing. There are some cool videos showing what I mean. This might add to your ability to get a few more fish on the days you make it onto the hardwater.

Good luck and stay safe.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I agree, A spring bobber has been a game changer when fishing for Crappie & Bluegill’s for me.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:34 PM »
I use spikes with a plastic worm on a small round head jig.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:54 PM »
You want a game changer, buy yourself a 20in. Snitch #8 or a 24 in. Widowmaker special edition from 13fishing.  I used spring bobbers for 45 years.  I switched three years ago and will never go back.  These rods are very sensitive and you can detect the lightest of bites.  As for tungsten jigs.  Yes, they are great for fishing deep water so that you can get your jig back down to the fish quicker.  However, they suck when the gills are looking for something floating down slowly.  So, there is a time and place for tungsten, just like everything else.  You just have to change tactics until you find what the fish want.  Last Saturday I was actually fishing in 8 fow, and using tungsten.  I switched colors to a color that my cousin was using and I didn't have it in tungsten so I went with lead.  I actually out caught him.  The fish wanted something slowly descending vs. a quick drop!
.       Gotta know how to adjust with the tungsten, float it down, do it all the time, depends on their mood!!

Offline bobama

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Spring bobbers are key i was using a bros bloodworm never felt the bump saw the spring bobber move ever so slight set the hook and the crappie had the whole jig in the roof of his mouth and never felt him or saw the rod move. I also use the spring bobber on a dead stick ive caught more crappie by just seeing the spring move a hair as to the old way of seeing the tip or line move

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:56 PM »
Yes

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:02 PM »
U can do away with the smoke or wax worm with this tip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.