The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: MINNOWS  (Read 661 times)

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
MINNOWS
« on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:40 AM »
DO YOU HAVE TO FEED MINNOWS FROM WEEK TO WEEK AND WHAT DO YOU FEED THEM ?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: MINNOWS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:23 AM »
Nothing.  Don't feed them,the waste will bring the nitrates up in the water and wipe them out real quick. Just make regular water changes that are the same temperature and chlorine free.  Creek water or aged tap water.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:38 AM »
Nothing.  Don't feed them,the waste will bring the nitrates up in the water and wipe them out real quick. Just make regular water changes that are the same temperature and chlorine free.  Creek water or aged tap water.

^^^ X2.   Do not feed!  Keep water as cold as possible and aerated.

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Waxthumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:59 AM »
County) PA

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:38 AM »

Quote from: captain54 on Today at 04:23 AM

^^^ X2.   Do not feed!  Keep water as cold as possible and aerated

X3...I keep tank in my garage in warmer months I use powerade bottles filled with water keep them in freezer throw a couple frozen in tank a day to keep cool.I have tried feeding them it does no good as others stated.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Not entirely related to the specific topic of feeding but I thought I'd add a few comments about keeping minnows or any fish alive on a long term basis:

1.  Definitely consider getting a charcoal filter system to remove ammonia and other harmful buildups in the tank or bucket in addition to your aerator.  You should be able to find cheap ones at any pet store for under $20.  If you have a filtration system, you can feed the minnows. 

2.  Do not change all of the water.  Fish create a "biofilter" when they are in the water.  It is a combination of bacteria, algae and other microscopic creatures that keep the fish healthy.  Think of it as fish broth.  If you replace the water with something completely sterile like distilled water, it can shock the fish and kill them.  When you are ready to change the water set aside about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cleaner surface water from the current tank and add it to the new water to help keep the biofilter going.  Also, consider adding stress coat to the water.  You can buy it at any pet store for a dollar or two and need only a couple of drops.  It keeps the fish calm and reduces mortality when you change the water.

3.  Before you change the water, put the new water in the same place as the tank for a couple of hours so the water temperature is the same.  If there is a big difference in water temps, it can shock the fish and kill them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.