Author Topic: Vexilar Transducer Suggestions  (Read 299 times)

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
Vexilar Transducer Suggestions
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 04:57 PM »
I currently own a Vexilar FL8 that is now about 17 years old.  Still works great, only thing it has needed over the years is two battery replacements and brush kit refurb.

Would like to add a new unit to the collection, an FL20.  Not sure what transducer I should go with.  I see the 12 degree is kind of standard equipment with the unit.  However, you can also get the Pro-View.  Yet, with the P-V, from what I understand, the cone angle changes with your gain...?  I like the thought of the Tri-Beam but have heard there were issues with the first run of these.

My FL8 has the 19 degree ducer.  I fish a mix of shallow water, around 10 ft, to deeper water, max of 60 ft, throughout the ice season.

I have heard the 12 degree is a nice compromise between the narrow and wide cone angle transducers.  I really like the idea of having three cone angles to select from with the push of my finger on the Tri-Beam.  As I understand it now, don't like the idea of changing the cone angle via the gain as you do with the P-V.

Any thoughts to help with the selection?
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline tollbooth0j

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar Transducer Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:02 PM »
I've had both the FL-8, and the FL-18SE, and just sold my FL-8 to a buddy because i love all the stuff i can do with the FL-18SE.  Hope this helps you with your decision, but they are all specified for certain things.
Love catching my Walleye

Offline Republic of Alberta

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vexilar Transducer Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:25 PM »
The whole cone angle changing with the gain thing on the pro view is miss leading what this transducer is all about.   The pro view is a 9 degree transducer made with a big sensitive cristal.    The cristal is so sensitive you don't have to turn up the gain much if at all to see your lure even in deep water.   40 ft and my gain is on 0 to see a small minnow as yellow  It seems to shield out interference very well as the signal sent and received is so strong.   And yes like most transducers the cone grows as you turn up the gain.... but the return signal is so strong that turning up the gain makes your hook turn into a huge red blob 2 feet tall with lots of green interference on the dial so no you will not actually be turning up the gain to try and make the cone angle grow in real life.

I have a fl 18 with the proview by the way.  It is a great deep water transducer but not so great as an all round transducer even though that's what I have been doing with it.   For a true all round the tri beam seemed better to me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.