Author Topic: Pocket hand warmers  (Read 5232 times)

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Pocket hand warmers
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Hi Guys,
            Any suggestions on these Pocket Hand Warmers you see at the stores, which would be the best ones?
 Thx.
       Little fish

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pocket hand warmers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:16 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:16 PM »
I currently don't use them, but I plan on getting one of these for this season,

http://www.zippo.com/Products/handWarmer.aspx

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Been using one of these for years.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:24 PM »
I use Hot Hands pocket warmers so much that I even get them for christmas from people.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:30 PM »
rg, drifter, do those run on lighter fluid? would fish pick up on that scent?

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:38 PM »
I use the disposable hot hands by the case :)

When bringing the little ones out, you can put them in their boots & mittens and make them much happier.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:40 PM »
ol lady takes heater,and any warmer i got...lol

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:43 PM »
rg, drifter, do those run on lighter fluid? would fish pick up on that scent?

Yes and only if you pour the stuff on your hands when filling it.

I actually have one like RG but I find it stinky. Doesn't bother the fish, just me.
This one works on solid fuel sticks.

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:14 PM »
they work I like the toasty toes better, they can make all the difference on a cold wet late season day
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:21 PM »
There are some solid fuel sticks that stink. I threw some away last year. If you buy Coughlan's there's no problem.
I've never tried the Zippo, but they sure make some good stuff. I'll be down Bradford way next week, I may have to check one out.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I have an old style one that takes lighter fluid, smell doesn't seem to bother the fish and it stays warm for 7-8 hrs

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:38 PM »
I use the disposable kind because I like one for each hand and one for the back of my neck under my hat when its really cold.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:25 PM »
What ever happenend to the ones that had a penny looking piece of metal in them and you bent the penny looking thing and activated the hand warmer ???? Then you boiled it to reset it for the next trip.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:30 PM »
What ever happenend to the ones that had a penny looking piece of metal in them and you bent the penny looking thing and activated the hand warmer ???? Then you boiled it to reset it for the next trip.

They still have those at K-mart i bought a pr last winter and they are junk >:( they stay warm for about a half hour and they cool off quick.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:59 PM »
I always have a bunch of those Hot Hands in my ice bag if I do need to warm up. They don't work so hot (pun!) in my boots though. Lack of air and moisture kill them prematurely. Thought I saw boots that were designed to accept them. Cabelas maybe?

Me likey that Zippo Dave. I may have to upgrade. Especially if they are more efficient.
My grandfather gave me a Jon-e warmer for X-mas back in the early or mid 80's. I re-discovered it when I got into ice fishing 7 years ago. Still works like a charm after 25 years. Reeking lightly of naphtha (sp?) is nostalgic I guess.  ;)

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:10 PM »
My Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boots have the pouch in the bottom of the inner liner for the toe warmers.  I'm hoping they are warm enough that I don't need the toe warmers.  I bought the boots after the season last spring and haven't worn them yet, but with 1200 grams of thinsulate they should keep my feet warm!

-Jeff

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:19 PM »
They sell them ever winter at Amreican Eagle here.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2009, 03:37 AM »
I had a large one of those for my back. My wife bought it for me . It had a belt and stayed warm for several hours. I loaned it to a friend who had back surgery and never saw it again.  :-\

RG

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:08 AM »
I have one of those hunting hand muffs with a pocket for hand warmer. I put the jon-e heater in it on those raw days. A nice reprieve for my paws. :)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:28 AM »
My Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boots have the pouch in the bottom of the inner liner for the toe warmers.  I'm hoping they are warm enough that I don't need the toe warmers.  I bought the boots after the season last spring and haven't worn them yet, but with 1200 grams of thinsulate they should keep my feet warm!

-Jeff

Jeff,
I haven't even come close to needing the heaters in my Predators. The are very warm. As for hand heaters I like the big 18 hour disposable ones. You can shut them off when you are done using them by putting them in an Ziploc bag and squeezing the air out and use them the next day..

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:35 AM »
 I use the disposable ones, but rarely for my hands. Usually I use them to put in my camera bag to keep the battery warm. They last all day, and I can use them for my hands if I need too.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:49 AM »
  I have the zippos , bought them last year .  I couldnt keep them going and just used the disposables .  I bought a whole box of hand and toe warmers on clearance over the summer .    When the zippos work , they give of nice heat .  Its just another thing to get ready in the morning , taking up valuable ice time....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2009, 09:09 AM »
I've  been using the disposable ones for a few years, I need the throw away the ones I have, I think they might have gone bad or the packages have leaked and air got in. But like someone said they don't seem to work in my boots, I might just see if I can find some electric socks.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Here's a good one. Not sure if it was posted before or not.....

Take a 9 volt battery and some change and throw them in your pocket. When the change makes the connection between the 2 battery posts on top, it gets warm. I keep the old 9V batteries from my smoke alarms every year just for this purpose.

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 21, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Here's a good one. Not sure if it was posted before or not.....

Take a 9 volt battery and some change and throw them in your pocket. When the change makes the connection between the 2 battery posts on top, it gets warm. I keep the old 9V batteries from my smoke alarms every year just for this purpose.

A friend of my wife had her purse catch on fire in an elevator while on vacation because she tossed some extra camera batteries into her purse and they shorted out on some change that was in the bottom of the purse. So be careful you don't burn your pants off!!!!
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:27 AM »
A friend of my wife had her purse catch on fire in an elevator while on vacation because she tossed some extra camera batteries into her purse and they shorted out on some change that was in the bottom of the purse. So be careful you don't burn your pants off!!!!

Whew, I've never had that happen. I've been doing this for a few years and so far so good.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:30 AM »
then if you burn holes in your pockets   well lets just say it might be less noticable and you can warm your hands   >:D :roflmao: :roflmao:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:31 AM »
then if you burn holes in your pockets   well lets just say it might be less noticable and you can warm your hands   >:D :roflmao: :roflmao:

Zing!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2009, 04:18 PM »
You're always thinking Hazzy.......you seem to have a specific "tilt"....but you're always thinking ;D

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.